C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hawk Pads, Performance Ceramic or HPS

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 01:57 AM
BobMachus
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hawk Pads, Performance Ceramic or HPS

I just got some 96 CE A-molds for my '88 Vert and I am need some pads with good initial bite (whatever is on there can't even get the ABS to kick on with a two-footed stomp on cold pavement). I had been thinking EBC Greenstuff, but the Hawks seem to be less dusty, last longer, and work well. I have heard good things about both pads and looked at dozens of threads going back years and can't seem to make up my mind. Some thoughts would be appreciated directly comparing these two pads.

thanks,

bob
Old 12-19-2010, 05:42 AM
jimmymack
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11,'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21,'22-'23-'24

I have the Hawk ceramics on mine, very happy with performance and lack of dust. Got a good deal from Corvette Guys (supporting vendor).
Old 12-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have not used the Ceramics. But I've used HPS pads on several cars and never been disappointed. Great initial bite, they grab even more with a little heat, but they do dust more than the OEM pads on the various cars have.

I would be interested to know how close the Ceramics are, but am a bit gun-shy of ceramic pads.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:11 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

HPS on all my cars
Old 12-19-2010, 10:29 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hawk HPS pads are great and have low dust.

Once a week I wipe the light grey dust off of the chrome ZO6 wheels on my daily driven 91.

I've used EBC GreenStuff pads before and they do not compare to the HPS's in any category.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:47 AM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I haven't used the street Hawk HPS but do use the HPS Plus for AUTOX and they are excellent for that application, but create a lot of dust for a street pad. For the street and even stock car autox I have used the Gran Sport shoes by Satisfied and they perform great and have a low amount of dust.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I use HP+ also, as I autox and track my car. "Everyone" says they squeak, but mine don't, and the bite and modulation is awesome. They do dust a LOT though.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:17 PM
jan-erik
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I have an 85 and those stock brakes sucks. I have been used to european cars and I have to say I was scaredthe frst day i tried the brakes. I have investigated much because I want to keep the stock caliper and power brake. I changed to semimetal and it became better but not enough. Then to green stuff. Very good initial bite butt then not that good with hard braking. Then I changed to powerslit rotors and HAwk HPS. This was realy a good step forward but I wanted more effective brakes . Then I changed to Hawk HP plus. Wow for a difference. Quite good initial bite and very good the warmer the brakes became. >really good brakes now. BUT if you are afraid of washing the wheels for dust these are not the right pads. But I though of safety and now the brakes is absolutely acceptable . Good initial bite. Together with CAstrol SRF brake fluid the brakes now can really withstand hard braking for quite some time
Old 12-19-2010, 04:22 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

I'm running C5 front Hawk ceramics, rear HPS's, and I'm happy...
Old 12-19-2010, 04:35 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The Hawk HPS is a very good street pad and it will work for some slow-speed autocross events or "spirited" driving. They work fine when cold so you don't have to worry about getting heat into them. They will dust some with hard use, but nothing like the HP+ pads. These pads are also rotor friendly but they really should be bedded in with new or re-machined rotors. HPS has information on their website on how to properly bed HPS pads.

I have used HP+ pads for autocross and I never did hear any squealing from them. But the HP+ pads do need heat in them to work properly. In the morning from sitting overnight, they do take some heavier braking pressure to work. But a couple of medium to hard stops from 35 to a near stop keeps them from squealing and that's enough heat to improve low speed braking. These pads do generate lots of dust and if the dust gets wet and then dries, it's very difficult to remove from wheels.

I tried some EBC Greenstuff pads some years ago and I was not really impressed with them. They were OK for a daily driver but anything beyond that, they really didn't last or beat stock pads. EBC now has new owners and they have made big improvements in the compounds especially in the Yellow and Red pads.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:35 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

I have the J55 13" front rotors on my 1993. Im also running Baer eradispeed 13" slotted front rotors and stainless braided hoses.

Im running Hawk HP Plus pads, all the way around, on my 93 vert.
I am very satisfied. They do dust and also squeaks, when cold. However, this is a tradeoff I will accept to stop my car (and all its mods). Im running the black grand sport A-mold rims, so maybe the dust is not as noticeable and not a big deal for me.

My brakes work fine, whether cold or hot. It doesnt feel like it has the true disadvantage of a race pad where they dont 'stop' until the car gets a couple warm up laps. I highly recommend this pad, but note my above comments.

If the thought of cold squeaks is a concern, you may want to go with Hawk HPS. Ive heard lots of good things about that pad.

Hawk is in a league of its own in terms of braking performance.

I tried EBC Greenstuff and was thouroughly disappointed. The pads fade terribly. If I did a single 80-0 stop, mine faded out entirely by about 15 MPH. Dont believe any of the 'superior initial bite claim', not worth it.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:46 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 491 Likes on 418 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Check out this pad

The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser, and has won multiple SCCA Solo 2 and Prosolo National Championships. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. Bobcat 1521™ compound has also been found to extend the life of your rotors 2-3 times. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 12-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Sauce
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used EBC pads on a tracked Lotus Elise (yellow compound) and a 2001 Tahoe (green compound) and found them to be fantastic pads. I have a set of yellows I have not yet put on my 1996 Corvette yet, but would be very surprised if they didn't work very well. I would think that the yellow compound would be the minimum for any spirited driving of a Corvette; I was upset that I couldn't get yellows for the Tahoe.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:22 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by Sauce
I've used EBC pads on a tracked Lotus Elise (yellow compound) and a 2001 Tahoe (green compound) and found them to be fantastic pads. I have a set of yellows I have not yet put on my 1996 Corvette yet, but would be very surprised if they didn't work very well. I would think that the yellow compound would be the minimum for any spirited driving of a Corvette; I was upset that I couldn't get yellows for the Tahoe.
You can get a far better pad for your Tahoe I offer 7% forum discount, contact me at 216-780-8825 I will be happy to help you.

Tahoe - 4WD 2001-2002 1521

F: CT785 $136

Rear W/O Limited Slip R: CT792 $125

Rear W/ Limited Slip R: CT834 $125
Old 12-21-2010, 09:02 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Sauce
I dont doubt your experience, but Im amazed that EBC greenstuff pads worked good for you, on a heavier vehicle like a Tahoe.

A co-worker of mine tried EBC greenstuff on his land cruiser and had the similar bad experiences as I did.

Plus, they wore out real fast.

I got mine off, long before wear-out, due to the brake fade issue.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Did lots of research to get : Hawk HPS with New Raybestos Advanced technology rotors
Old 12-21-2010, 10:40 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I ran the old bobcat formulation on my 92 when it was a street car.
Very street friendly, even worked on a low speed autocross.
Rotors lasted 2 years with those pads plus a year with xp12 on them. I think I can get another year out of the rotors, need new pads though.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:40 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by jaa1992
I ran the old bobcat formulation on my 92 when it was a street car.
Very street friendly, even worked on a low speed autocross.
Rotors lasted 2 years with those pads plus a year with xp12 on them. I think I can get another year out of the rotors, need new pads though.
Give me a call be happy to help you 216-780-8825
Old 06-30-2023, 10:11 PM
BigKevO
Instructor

Received 182 Likes on 85 Posts

I was reading the thread about brake dust where that annoying carbotech lover kept posting the same info over & over & over again. While it was helping me fall asleep I kept thinking there is no way the C8s braking system was too weak to activate the ABS with cold Power Stop or even cheaper pads. The pedal feel might change but in an extreme braking event the ABS should stop the car as quickly as possible.

Thanks for the info bhvrdr!

Get notified of new replies

To Hawk Pads, Performance Ceramic or HPS

Quick Reply: Hawk Pads, Performance Ceramic or HPS