C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

92 Vette stalls after warming up. Need help.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:26 PM
A. Richards
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Vette stalls after warming up. Need help.

I have a 92 Corvette with a 6 speed manual. I have been fighting an ignition problem for a while. I start the car and let it warm up it will run fine then it hits a certain temp. and the car will stall. I let it set for a minute or so and it will start back up and run for a few minutes until it gets up to that certain temp. and it will stall again. I did this 3 or 4 times in a row. It will still start up but will stall out after a few minutes. I think it is temperature related. I have checked all of the grounds, the wiring harness, I checked voltage at connectors according to the manual, and everything checks out as it should. I replaced the ICM, the coil, and the opti-spark. I Jumped the pins on the diagnostic plug and the computer doesn't have any stored trouble codes. Just the code 12 which the manual says is the ECM saying it is operating normally. My fuel pressure is at 41 PSI, and I can hear the fuel pump running with the ignition on. Where should I go from here? Please help!!!
Old 12-28-2010, 07:36 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've moved your thread into the C4 Tech Discussion, as you originally posted in the Help section. The Help section is used for website specific issues - account issues, forum issues, etc., and not for Corvette technical questions.

Good luck!
Old 12-28-2010, 08:47 PM
Scotsman
Advanced

I had a VERY similar issue with my '92 6 speed.

Do the cooling fans come on when you restart it?

While I was experiencing this similar problem, I would warm up the car in the driveway, and it would run great, then stall out like you are describing. After restarting, the cooling fans would both kick on. This went on for awhile, and then one day, bam, no restart. After letting it cool, it would start and run, but at 140 degrees, bam, shut down.

Long story short, I had the computer rebuilt, and it fan fine for a day, then the same story. Replaced ignition module, no change.

Finially replaced Opti, and bingo, problem fixed.

Don't know if this helps you, but I hope so!
Old 12-28-2010, 09:02 PM
A. Richards
8th Gear

The fans do come on when I restart the engine. The stalling is happening around 190 degrees.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:04 PM
A. Richards
8th Gear

The opti. is about 1 year old, maybe it has already gone out or starting to go out again.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:08 PM
A. Richards
8th Gear

Thanks JT for putting my thread in the correct area. I am new to this site.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:38 PM
A. Richards
8th Gear

I just ordered an optispark from summit. I am going to pull the optispark off of the car later today. I will let you know what the outcome is. I am really hoping this will work. Scotsman thankyou for your input.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:37 PM
0ChandlerMotorsports
Former Vendor

How did the summit opti work out?
Old 01-12-2011, 02:54 AM
A. Richards
8th Gear

I installed the new optispark and the problem went away. The car ran great and didn't stall out after warming up. Thanks for the help everyone. Joining this site helped me to get the info I needed to fix this car. I have been fighting this problem for months, I thought that the optispark was still good because it was only a little over a year old, but I guess it died. There was no water or oil in the opti, I guess the electronics inside went out and would fail after heating up.

Get notified of new replies

To 92 Vette stalls after warming up. Need help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 92 Vette stalls after warming up. Need help.