C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ACDelco GM Part # for C4 spare tire bolt spacer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 04:23 AM
brvette777
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACDelco GM Part # for C4 spare tire bolt spacer?

I had quite an adventure yesterday. Decided to have the shop put air in my spare while they put a new set of tires on the car. They managed to break off the metal sheath that was tap welded onto my spare tire bolt. If that wasn't bad enough they left the carriage hanging half way off exposing the spare tire. I didn't notice this until I drove around for a few hours. Luckily it doesn't appear any damage was done. However, in trying to fix the problem, I discovered that I do not have the proper spare tire bolt spacer. My best guess is that the previous owner or a shop that previously removed the spare tire lost the original spacer and then found a sort of butterfly looking tap thing in its place. Problem is it doesn't fit properly and I am worried the bolt will come off and tire might come out if I hit a bump.

Can anyone tell me the ACdelco/GM part number for the spare tire bolt spacer? Corvette Central lists the bolt and spacer as discontinued so I am trying to figure out how to get a new spacer. The only ones on Ebay are so old and rusty I would not trust them.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:20 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Mine is sitting in the shed someplace. Give me a week or so to dig it out and I'll see if there are any numbers on it.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:47 AM
brvette777
Intermediate

Thanks! I am sure it is discontinued but the number may halp me track down one from someone second hand.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:16 PM
cgantner5150
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I removed all this from my vette. What part do you need exactly?
Old 01-29-2011, 08:07 PM
brvette777
Intermediate

I think that the only thing I need is the proper spacer that fits between the bolthead/washer and the spare tire carriage.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:59 PM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

When you get the parts and put it all together, make sure you put a lot of anti-sieze on the threads of that long bolt. Don't want to try and undo that rusted pos lying on your back, in the rain, in order to get the spare down. Ask me how I know. (I have an 87)
Old 01-30-2011, 02:38 PM
brvette777
Intermediate

Yes I had a heck of a time figuring out how the mechanism worked. I could not unscrew the bolt past a certain point so I had come to the conclusion that it was made not to completely come down all the way. I finally figured out the threads were simply rusted and the bolt could be totally unscrewed after I removed the license plate. I WD-40'd the heck out of it and that did the trick.

The interesting aspect of the whole mechanism is the little metal sheath that was tap welded onto the shaft of the bolt recepticle. Apparently it performs the function of making sure the bolt mechanism is guided up into the upper cradle behind the license plate without the necessity of removing the license plate. Unfortunately the tire place broke the sheath off when they air-wrenched the bolt to try to put air in the spare. As far as I can tell the sheath is not necessary but it just means it will be harder to get the end of the bolt to fall in the upper cradle from now on.

Also diagrams I have looked at show that my 1995 corvette does not have a piece that the 1987 corvette came with. Corvette Central refers to this piece as a rear spare tire carrier bracket on frame (their part #554173). The bolt and spacer are referred to in Corvette Central part #554165 and they don't sell em. I need the spacer included in that item because what I have is too big but has been working. I really don't trust it though.

Get notified of new replies

To ACDelco GM Part # for C4 spare tire bolt spacer?

Quick Reply: ACDelco GM Part # for C4 spare tire bolt spacer?