C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Worth Re-Building?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 11:51 AM
SDS Photography
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Worth Re-Building?

The place that works on my truck has a 87-88 C4 outside. The guys who work there know nothing about it - other than it having a ''blown" motor and being for sale. My question is - how cheap would I have to get the car to be able to break even if I had to sell? I have owned two C4s in the past, so I am not totally new to them. But I am at a total loss as to what it would cost to rebuild/replace a motor from this era.

Thank you
Old 02-20-2011, 12:42 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

you can actually 'buy' a complete rebuilt motor 'long block' for a good price, I've seen '2 bolt main' motors for as low as 1600 bucks., with all the extras you would need to get it in the $2000 price range, lower would be better.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:03 PM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

Or get a used engine. Swap over everything thats external.It doesnt have to be a vette motor, it can be a 350 from a camaro, truck, or a caprice If the engine is older then 87 make sure you get the flywheel & oil pan, & check the center intake bolt hole angles, its painful to be nickled & dimed to death.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:29 PM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Depending on how long it's been there, look it over for other issues or collateral damage before you jump in- also wouldn't hurt to get an idea of the market, maybe you could do better elsewhere. If you're thinking to repair it on spec for resale, could be a losing investment.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:54 PM
gkrynick22
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyInBlack
The place that works on my truck has a 87-88 C4 outside. The guys who work there know nothing about it - other than it having a ''blown" motor and being for sale. My question is - how cheap would I have to get the car to be able to break even if I had to sell? I have owned two C4s in the past, so I am not totally new to them. But I am at a total loss as to what it would cost to rebuild/replace a motor from this era.

Thank you
Would have to know more about the car. How is the interior? How many miles? How's the paint? If it has sat for a while you will be fixing problem after problem. You might be better off finding a running project if you are looking for a project.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:21 PM
SDS Photography
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for the replies.

Paint is actually pretty good, interior in better than average shape, other than that I do not know a lot about it. Might give them a call tomorrow and see what the owner wants for it.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:24 PM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you do, be on the lookout for mouse-ominiums. They can result in nasty wiring problems.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:28 PM
94vettelover2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't do it(my opinion).I flipped many cars & only make good money on the cars that are in great shape & get them for next to nothing.The last car I flipped was a 1998 Pontiac Bonneville.It was in great shape,everything worked & had low miles(under 100k).It had leather,moonroof,etc.It "only" needed an engine.I invested $1300 into the car.I paid $200 for the car.I put a used low mileage engine in & replaced all the gaskets on the engine before it went in as well as a need waterpump.And new spark plugs.The rotors were warped but just machined them(no cost as I'm a Tech).Sold car to a family friend for $2600.Lot of work(2 weeks as I was working full time) but it worked out good.If your not doing the work yourself,don't do it.I owned a 1984 corvette that I restored myself.It cost over $5000 just for the partsIt looked & smelled great inside(new leather everywhere) but I took a loss on it when I sold it.I've learned to never restore a car again as its cheaper in the long run to buy a car in great condition first.Otherwise you'll get a car cheap & have to buy almost every new part as well invest all kinds of time.Let us know what you decide

Get notified of new replies

To Worth Re-Building?

Quick Reply: Worth Re-Building?