C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hooker headers on LTx ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 12:27 PM
surfer93
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooker headers on LTx ?

Put the headers on the car and had to have the nbr 4 and 8 tubes cut and rebent. Nbr 4 tube was hitting against the motor mount and nbr 8 was hitting against the A/C box. Also had major leaks and used Hookers double gasket set and had to patch where the bead on the weld was not done right.

Questions, Anybody ever have to cut the tubes on Super Comp headers, I searched and could not find where anybody had to do this?

Second, Do everybody have to have the headers double gasketed?

Bought these from a forum member, not blaming him, just stating that I am not sure they where the right set.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:35 PM
A95Y
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I put Hooker Super Comp L98 headers on my LT1. I had to grind the motor mount a smidge, but no other obstructions.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:38 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I used to run Hooker Super Competion headers for years. You need to check the built up welded areas on the flanges with a straight edge and file them flat. They do a really sloppy job with this and there are high and low spots. I need to spend a lot of time filing the high spots to match the low spots. I had no interference issues. I have since switched to the American Racing headers which fit the L98 and LT1 motors. They are definitely the way to go if you have the bucks. Willie
Old 02-20-2011, 03:59 PM
surfer93
Pro

Originally Posted by 383vett
I used to run Hooker Super Competion headers for years. You need to check the built up welded areas on the flanges with a straight edge and file them flat. They do a really sloppy job with this and there are high and low spots. I need to spend a lot of time filing the high spots to match the low spots. I had no interference issues. I have since switched to the American Racing headers which fit the L98 and LT1 motors. They are definitely the way to go if you have the bucks. Willie
Why didn't you tell me this before??

Soon as I have some time, I will grind them. Thanks for the info!!
Old 02-20-2011, 04:03 PM
surfer93
Pro

For others you might use Hooker or Mr Gasket, cut the area around where the plugs are, before you put them on.
They will hang down and cover the SP hole and you will not be able to get to the plug w/SP socket.

Ask me how I know.

Good news is, I can change both gaskets now in about 35-40 minutes.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:43 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by surfer93
Why didn't you tell me this before??

Soon as I have some time, I will grind them. Thanks for the info!!
I found out the hard way too. My first set was fine, the second a little over a year ago was made in Mexico crap. Use a large 14" flat file. I also have a 3' aluminum bar that I used as a straight edge to help see where the low spots were. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Hooker headers on LTx ?

Quick Reply: Hooker headers on LTx ?