C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1994 corvette convertible top help

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 07:00 AM
donkeydawn11
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1994 corvette convertible top help

Does anyone have any experience in installing a convertible top on a 1994 corvette
Old 03-22-2011, 07:52 AM
95fxdwg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default convertible top repair

Hi , What can I help you with ?
Old 03-22-2011, 03:08 PM
Jim Martley2
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by donkeydawn11
Does anyone have any experience in installing a convertible top on a 1994 corvette
I replaced the one on my 93s a few years ago. I had never done one before. It was challanging and expensive. All the weatherstripping on the top frame needs to be replaced when you replace the top. It is time consuming cleaning out all the glue that holds the weatherstripping and top material in place. It is NOT rocket science but it DOES take some research to figure out the EASY way to do it. I must have taken 200 pictures when I did mine just so I would have a good visual referance of how it was originally and how it should be when I got done.

Jim
Old 03-22-2011, 07:15 PM
95fxdwg
Intermediate

Default Convertible top repair

You do NOT have to replace all the weatherstrips when you replace the top . all it takes is a little care not to destroy them and they will go right where they were before , the NUMBER ONE THING TO MAKE SURE YOU DO IS USE THE CORRECT CONTACT CEMENT TO INSTALL THE TOP OR YOU ARE JUST WASTING YOUR TIME , AFTER YOU REMOVE THE OLD TOP AND WEATHERSTRIPS , FIND THE CENTER OF THE NEW TOP AND MARK IT WITH CHALK , THEN FIND THE CENTER OF THE REAR BOW AND MARK THAT ALSO , THE EASIEST WAY TO INSTALL THE TOP IS TO START FROM THE CENTER OF THE REAR BOW AND WORK 1 SIDE AT A TIME , YOU MUST REMOVE THE WEATHER STRIP AND THE CHANNEL THAT HOLDS IT IN PLACE BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT TO START ANY WHERE ELSE , THE TOPS ARE MADE TO BE APPLIED WITH A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF MUSCLE , YOU MUST BE ABLE TO PUT A SLIGHT AMOUNT OF STRETCH TO THE TOP WHEN YOU ARE PLACING THE REAR BOW OR IT WILL NEVER REACH THE END OF THE BOW AND LAY CORRECTLY . ....IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE IF YOU ARE INSTALLING A TOP WITH A PLASTIC REAR WINDOW OR GLASS . I HAVE INSTALLED HUNDREDS OF THESE TOPS AND IF NOT DONE CORRECTLY YOU ARE THROWING YOUR MONEY OUT THE WINDOW .
Old 03-22-2011, 07:22 PM
95fxdwg
Intermediate

Start to finish the experienced installer can fit these tops in four hours ,and that's with cleaning the windows , the chevy book calls for 8 hours ........some things are better left to the professionals ...........................
Old 03-22-2011, 07:41 PM
95fxdwg
Intermediate

CONTACT CEMENT USED FOR INSTALLING CONVERTIBLE TOPS ....WELDWOOD CONTACT ADHESIVE MADE BY DAP ....YOU CAN GOOGLE IT AND FIND A LOCAL SUPPLIER IN YOUR AREA , YOU WILL NEED LESS THAN A PINT ...WALMART/LOEWS/HOME DEPOT / THE SAME TYPE ADHESIVE USED FOR LAMINATING KITCHEN COUNTER TOPS ,APPLY TO BOTH SURFACES TO BE JOINED AND LET DRY FOR 15 MINUTES BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO ADHERE...
Old 03-23-2011, 05:48 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure the very first thing you do is get a soap stone and mark the center of the new top by laying it over the old one on the car .
If you don't you will be big time sorry!!!
Old 03-23-2011, 07:12 AM
PG-LT4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are looking for a DVD here's the place
http://www.topgunwon.com/dvd/
I haven't put my on yet, still waiting for the tax check but I did purchase the DVD. It answers a bunch of questions.
Do you know where you are going to get your top?
Good luck
Mike
Old 03-24-2011, 08:15 AM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Several years ago I replaced the top on my '92, also updated to the glass window. If your top is worn out, most likely the weatherstripping is not worth saving. I used the Al Knoch video, they did not start the installation at the center, they started at the "sail" panels, at the rear edges of the side windows. IIRC, they did do the front edge (over the windshield) from the center. As for adhesive, you can use any contact cement of the type used to make Formica countertops. I made a glue dispenser with a cheap pump oilcan and the heads from 3 acid brushes hose-clamped around the tip of the spout, worked great. My top came from Corvette Central, brand name E-Z-On, many of the aftermarket vendors sell this brand.

When your installation is complete, use the Ragg Topp cleaner and fabric treatment (2 separate products) unless your top is vinyl.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:09 AM
95fxdwg
Intermediate

The reason I posted you do NOT have to replace all the weather strips , is because I did not want to hear about people thinking that is a requirement to replacing the top, to each their own , the reason to start installing the top from the rear center line is to align the rear window correctly , by starting from the sail panels first you would then have to go to the rear center to make sure the window would not be misaligned one way or the other , this is more of a problem for tops with plastic back windows rather than glass as you can end up with wrinkles diagonally across the plastic window , Most people can install their own tops given a general knowledge of what it's supposed to look like when it's done and that they install it tight enough so that it does not leak or flap in the breeze.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:46 PM
helphos
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

Default Replacing the Top

I replaced mine last year. It took me 2 days, but it was a great weekend project. I used the directions posted by Corvette Fever magazine's website, and it came out great. I replaced my weatherstrip at the same time. Trying to keep the old weatherstrip would have been too much trouble, and some of it was worn.
My advice is don't try to get the weatherstrip channels absolutely clean- it's too much trouble and the new weatherstrip won't care!

But I did clean and repaint the rear bow- most of the paint had peeled off the aluminum. when you're done, you don't even see it. LOL

It does help to have a helper when you're first putting the top on the frame to make sure it stays centered.

What a difference when you're done! Well worth it.
Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To 1994 corvette convertible top help

Quick Reply: 1994 corvette convertible top help