C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

HELP! 1985 L-98 Stalling Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 05:08 PM
31302usaf
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! 1985 L-98 Stalling Issue

I'm having an intermittent problem thats been bothering me. Basically, as I drive at highway speeds, it feels at times like it's missing, and when I have the overdrive on, at times it just kicks down for no reason.

Today, at a stop light, it died on me. Every time Id start it, it ran like crap and stalled when i tried to drive forward. It started to overheat really bad (200+ as opposed to normal 170+-) I finally got it running after a letting it be for a minute and pulled it into a gas station. It was still overheating at this point, running at a higher than normal idle. I let it sit there for about 10 minutes. Came back, started it, ran fine at normal temperature. Now I'm paranoid to drive it. It's only done this twice, I'm afraid it'll happen and not start again. Please help me.

What Ive already done and replaced (not for this issue, just to rule it out)

Spark Plugs (Properly gapped)
Ignition Wires
Coil
Fuel, Air, and Oil Filter
All Fluids changed
Clutch pedal bled
IAC Cleaned
TPS replaced (properly adjusted with multimeter)

I noticed that my heater/AC controls were acting funny during the trouble, which makes me think vaccum issue, but what could possibly create these issues?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:29 PM
jan-erik
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 85 and had problems with idle . I read a lot about this and the EGR is a main source for stalling ,variable idle and some other symptoms. There are two active elements in the EGR system and that is the EGR solenoid at the back of the plenumdelivering vacuum to the EGR valve underneith the plenum. The solenoid is on the passenger side. First check if the EGR valve holds the vacuum. Provide normal vacuum with a vacuum pump at the vacuum input of the valve. The vacuum shall hold about 20 seconds if not the membrane is bad and the valve must be changed. There might be an open valve that is if there are carbon deposites on the valve seat.
If the valve is ok check the solenoid ref the workshop manual for procedure. If you have the sevice engine soon light coming on it might also be the tempswitch just in front of the valve that is a bimetal switch that gives a signal to the ECM about the temp of the exhaust from the EGR system..
If you have open EGr system there will be stalling problems.

Quick Reply: HELP! 1985 L-98 Stalling Issue