C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'86 stumbles on initial acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 01:31 PM
abdo
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Default '86 stumbles on initial acceleration

I took the my '86 coupe out today after the long winter's hybernation.
It started fine but stumbled badly on initial acceleration. At higher RPMs it seemed to run smooth and strong. I sprayed some cleaner in the air intake plenum and it runs better but still has a little hesitation at first acceleration. I thought of putting a can of Seafoam in the tank when I take it out for a drive next time. I have replaced the spark plugs about 3 years ago. I pulled one and it looked fine other than the gap was a little too big. Any suggestions from those of you who have early L98 engines?
Old 04-21-2011, 04:23 PM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Check your TPS. Long explanation made short: On acceleration the TPS causes an action something like the accelerator pump in a carb. The ECM sees a rapid opening and knows the engine will need more power soon so it immediately increases fuel to the cylinders, (carb accelerator pump). No extra fuel=hesitation/bog on acceleration. Your FSM will tell you how to do the checks and settings.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:33 PM
abdo
Drifting

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Thanks, Muffin, I will do that when I get it out next time. I do have a FSM and I checked the Throttle Position Sensor a few years ago. It was right on then. The coupe has almost 90 K on it now so I know it could be off a little.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:12 PM
abdo
Drifting

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I decided to check the TPS right away. It was .51 volts, well within the range specified. I still think it may be a little carbon in the intake or else a dirty injector.

Get notified of new replies

To '86 stumbles on initial acceleration

Quick Reply: '86 stumbles on initial acceleration