C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

o2 senser problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 07:39 PM
shhaker
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default o2 senser problems

i have a 95 lt1 automatic. hooker headers, hooker exhaust. it was on the car when i bought her. ive had the car almost 3 yrs and im on my 4th set of 02 sensors. i found the exhaust at the bottom of the manafold loose a yr or so ago and been keeping them tight. this is the longest ive gone. 11 months. she runs good but i have a cold air intake and i have a feeling she running lean. any ideas why its burning these sensors out would be appreciated. and if she is running lean what would be the way to fix it. thanks!!
Old 04-23-2011, 11:24 PM
shhaker
Cruising

nothing huh?
Old 04-24-2011, 09:22 AM
OkieC4
Instructor

How do you know you are "burning them out"? 4th set of O2 sensors? What codes are you getting?

"I have a feeling she's running lean". What leads you to that feeling? Code 44s?

O2 sensors send voltage to the ECM to compare to a .45 volt reference voltage. It is a very narrow voltage range. If the ECM sees .30 volts or less from the O2 sensor, it senses a lean condition. If it sees .60 volts or higher, it senses rich.

As you are running headers and you have had leaks, I would suspect the O2 sensor connector(s) or the wiring has been heat damaged or is routed too close to the pipes and has higher than normal resistance causing the ECM to see lower voltages from the O2 sensors.

Last edited by OkieC4; 04-24-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:27 AM
shhaker
Cruising

ok, the first time i pulled the codes. came on here and was told bad o2 sensors. changed them out they were good for awhile 8 months maybe. second time service soon engine light comes on starts running rough, pull codes same thing. change out again, runs good for awhile 6-8 months something like that. 3rd time light comes on so i take it to Chevy, i hate going to stealerships but maybe they can tell me something. nope bad o2 sensor. so the other night coming home light comes on. pull codes...bla bla bla. ill pull what codes are popping up today, but i did pull a lean code awhile back, i cant remember what it was at the time. the only reason i say that is from my motorcycle experience running a aftermarket pipe and intake requires to install a power commander or something to apply more fuel due to the better air flow. the wiring looks brand new under there. so thanks for any help you can give me.

Get notified of new replies

To o2 senser problems

Quick Reply: o2 senser problems