C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Performance Chip a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 03:33 AM
#1weatherman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Performance Chip a good idea?

I have a '92 LT1 and am entertaining the thought of putting a performance chip in her to bump the HP up a bit. Just wondering what something like that would cost, would it really be worth it, or would it just cause more problems than it's worth? Anybody got any comments or suggestions? Thanks.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:48 AM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by #1weatherman
putting a performance chip in
Anybody got any comments or suggestions? .
Save your $$$

Get a custom tune done to suit your specific needs ;
the off the shelf chips are too " one size fits all"
Old 05-07-2011, 07:11 AM
joesgulfstream
Drifting

Originally Posted by vetteoz
Save your $$$

Don't waste your time or money even a custom tune is not worth it for a C4, take the $500 and use it for some real HP gain.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:05 AM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Okay, I'll go against the grain here and tell you to go for it. Decent tuners such as PCM for Less http://www.pcmforless.com/index.php?...e&Itemid=199or
Madtuner http://madtuner.com/ and others are so familiar with LT1's that they can commonly send you a mail order tune that will add an additional 10 to 15 HP for around $150.
While that may not be enough for the seat of the pants dyno to register I challenge you to find that much horsepower for the price with any other mod.
Add a low temp thermostat and have the tuner adjust the fan on/off temps at the same time for a cooler running engine and to me the price is a bargain, just my take of course.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

tech, I don't think he is talking about that kind of chip. What you describe is a semi custom burn. That kind can be worth the $$$. I think he is asking about the value of a "one size fits all" which, IMHO are not worth the $$$.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:16 AM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Muffin
tech, I don't think he is talking about that kind of chip. What you describe is a semi custom burn. That kind can be worth the $$$. I think he is asking about the value of a "one size fits all" which, IMHO are not worth the $$$.
You may be right Muffin, if I misunderstood and iin fact the OP was thinking of Hypertech or something similar I would agree with others that he should save his money.
The mail order chip/tunes I mentioned are about the same price and I have seen dyno results that show they deliver.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:21 AM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by toptechx6
You may be right Muffin, if I misunderstood and iin fact the OP was thinking of Hypertech or something similar I would agree with others that he should save his money.
The mail order chip/tunes I mentioned are about the same price and I have seen dyno results that show they deliver.
For the price, the mail-order chips can work wonders...

The generic chips like hypertech are only good for changing fans, mild alterations in the way the motor runs, not necessarily making it better..just different.

The custom chip, made based on a description of your motor, is much more suited to your motor. Exactly like buying a suit off the rack, or having one tailored...
Old 05-07-2011, 09:52 AM
RLG
Burning Brakes

Default Tune

Originally Posted by toptechx6
Okay, I'll go against the grain here and tell you to go for it. Decent tuners such as PCM for Less http://www.pcmforless.com/index.php?...e&Itemid=199or
Madtuner http://madtuner.com/ and others are so familiar with LT1's that they can commonly send you a mail order tune that will add an additional 10 to 15 HP for around $150.
While that may not be enough for the seat of the pants dyno to register I challenge you to find that much horsepower for the price with any other mod.
Add a low temp thermostat and have the tuner adjust the fan on/off temps at the same time for a cooler running engine and to me the price is a bargain, just my take of course.

This is exactly what I did. $150 for the chip,a 160 t-Stat and I burn 91 octane or above. pretty cheap HP. I told him what I wanted to do and he fixed me up.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:37 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Shoot, thanks for reminding me. I need to schedule dyno time at PCMFORLESS so they can tweak the mail order tune I got for my 383.

My 92 came with the Hypertech chip, the useless airfoil and it didn't run any better or have any more horsepower than a stcok tune.

A custom tune is best
Old 05-07-2011, 10:49 AM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by vetteoz
Save your $$$

Old 05-07-2011, 11:37 AM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I've used a couple of different (LT1) mail order tuners before I found Ed Wright....(Phil from AI recommended him when I started my build and I should have listened)

If/when I replace my 355 Ed will be the tuner....

Mike
Old 05-07-2011, 11:54 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Some in house tuning can get you more, a mail order will only be so good.
honestly the factory tune is not bad, unless youre going to do other mods why bother really. 10-15hp gain and nothing else is a waste youll never feel it.

Get notified of new replies

To Performance Chip a good idea?

Quick Reply: Performance Chip a good idea?