C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

T-56 vs 4+3 shifter placement

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 04:27 PM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Anyone who has done a T-56 Swap? Please step in!

I did a search but did not come up with any solid dimensions. I have heard that the T-56 shifter comes up in the center of the console. Can any who has done the swap tell me what the needed off set and back set is? I have heard the needed off set is 3.0 to the left and 1.5 to the rear. Thanks in advance to anyone who can confirm what it needs to be.

Last edited by 87bob; 06-06-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:54 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't have any feedback but I'm curious what the answer is..
Old 05-23-2011, 11:56 PM
cgantner5150
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just did the 4+3 to T5. That is supposed to be 3 to the left and 2 to the rear. Not sure if the T56 is in the same place though.

I just re-did my shifter offset last night with steel and welded it together. I just "customed" it to where it felt good. Need to update my thread with new pics.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:26 AM
87bob
Melting Slicks

I am hoping that someone that has done a T-56 will respond with the exact amount of offset I need both left and rear so I can have a shifter made up in advance of doing the install.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:17 PM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Ttt
Old 05-28-2011, 11:53 PM
gkrynick22
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey 87bob,

Sorry for hijacking this thread. Sent you a PM. I am about to do the same swap thanks to a unexpected bad clutch. How easy was the swap? Direct bolt in?
Old 05-31-2011, 09:25 AM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gkrynick22
Hey 87bob,

Sorry for hijacking this thread. Sent you a PM. I am about to do the same swap thanks to a unexpected bad clutch. How easy was the swap? Direct bolt in?
Sorry about the delay have been busy! I have not yet completed the swap, the 87 is not driveable it is a restoration project. I talked with Red from McLeod Clutch they have a throwout bearing which will allow the use of the stock clutch. This is what I am planning to use: I have a T-56 and a bell housing from a 94-96 F body it came from a LT-1 motored car. it is supposed to mount up to the back of the L-98 motor which came in the 87. The T-56 came orginally with a pull style clutch many people have had problems with these. It mostly surounded the hydraulics not returning (the peddle remained depressed). The McLeod throw out bearing does away with the pull style throw out bearing. If you're interested I have all the pull style stuff I'll be selling. McLeod also makes a replacement shifter with a multitude of levers to bring the shifter up through the floor in the proper position so it looks stock. I hope to modify the stock shifter handle to use with the T-56. I intend to use the switch on the stock shifter to control the reverse solenoid. That way I won't have to use a seperate switch. Any other questions just ask.
87Bob
Old 05-31-2011, 10:07 AM
87bob
Melting Slicks

TTT No one has the measurements?
Old 06-02-2011, 07:59 AM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 87bob
Sorry about the delay have been busy! I have not yet completed the swap, the 87 is not driveable it is a restoration project. I talked with Red from McLeod Clutch they have a throwout bearing which will allow the use of the stock clutch. This is what I am planning to use: I have a T-56 and a bell housing from a 94-96 F body it came from a LT-1 motored car. it is supposed to mount up to the back of the L-98 motor which came in the 87. The T-56 came orginally with a pull style clutch many people have had problems with these. It mostly surounded the hydraulics not returning (the peddle remained depressed). The McLeod throw out bearing does away with the pull style throw out bearing. If you're interested I have all the pull style stuff I'll be selling. McLeod also makes a replacement shifter with a multitude of levers to bring the shifter up through the floor in the proper position so it looks stock. I hope to modify the stock shifter handle to use with the T-56. I intend to use the switch on the stock shifter to control the reverse solenoid. That way I won't have to use a seperate switch. Any other questions just ask.
87Bob
I'm interested in this throwout bearing that will convert from pull to push, the flywheels for a two piece rear main seal that will mate to a t56 for the pull style clutch are rather pricey.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:19 AM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dclafleur
I'm interested in this throwout bearing that will convert from pull to push, the flywheels for a two piece rear main seal that will mate to a t56 for the pull style clutch are rather pricey.
I sent Red at McLeod an email and as soon as I hear something I'll share it with you.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:14 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

The LT1 trans will indeed bolt up to the back no problem.
McCleod Centerforce have the FW/clutch setups for these.
Carolina clutch has some affordable packages too. Talk to Tom

Ive never had a problem with Fbody hydraulics failing or sticking???
Plenty more power than stock, too.
Use a billet steel FW if you can.
Nice shifting trans
Old 06-02-2011, 10:02 AM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
The LT1 trans will indeed bolt up to the back no problem.
McCleod Centerforce have the FW/clutch setups for these.
Carolina clutch has some affordable packages too. Talk to Tom

Ive never had a problem with Fbody hydraulics failing or sticking???
Plenty more power than stock, too.
Use a billet steel FW if you can.
Nice shifting trans
Did you do this swap? Do you know the offset of the T-56 shifter to the stock location?
Old 06-02-2011, 10:22 AM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Yes but not in a Vette. Dont know the exact dimensions on the offset.
Imagine youd have to install measure and cut.
Someone posted up pics here about a week ago on a shifter handle he had made for his 4+3 conversion
Old 06-02-2011, 11:14 AM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

I was just getting a little sticker shock at the cost of the flywheel, the 85 is still a 2 piece RMS so as far as I can tell I'm limited to options from centerforce, mcleod or RAM. Any idea how heavy the stock flywheel on an '85 is? This will be going behind a stock tpi engine for now so even a stock clutch and pressure plate should be more than enough to hold my massive power levels..
Old 06-02-2011, 02:19 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Think the Centerforce is 700107 or 701107, also use a 2 pc rms.
The CF FW is billet about 40ish lbs? Had mine lightened 12 lbs
Carolina clutch has one I think thats around 28 or 30 just rightt.

FWIW the stock weight CF was great, could practically idle it into gear
Old 06-02-2011, 08:25 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Think the Centerforce is 700107 or 701107, also use a 2 pc rms.
The CF FW is billet about 40ish lbs? Had mine lightened 12 lbs
Carolina clutch has one I think thats around 28 or 30 just rightt.

FWIW the stock weight CF was great, could practically idle it into gear
Good to know, since it'll be a bit before I swap out gears, I was a bit worried about burning up the clutch with the 3.07s out back. I think a heavier flywheel will help.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:17 AM
87bob
Melting Slicks

TTT I can not believe that no one has chimed in with the dimensions. I thought this was a popular swap.

Get notified of new replies

To T-56 vs 4+3 shifter placement

Old 06-03-2011, 10:25 AM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Popular swap might be an overstatement, if no one has chimed in by the time I'm starting on mine I'll measure and post up.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:19 AM
gkrynick22
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 87bob
87Bob
No problem at all with the delay, thanks for the detailed reply. I am interested in the TO Bearing if it is still available. I am going to start buying all of the necessary parts now and do this in the winter. Does anyone know if the 87 swap is any different then a 85? Would I use a stock clutch like this one?

http://carolinaclutch.com/ShowItem/105226.aspx

I am having trouble finding the TO bearing and shifter on the McLeod website. I'll give them a call tomorrow. So if I am understanding this correctly I will need:

*94-97 T56 + Bell Housing
*McLeod TO Bearing
*McLeod Shifter or a Modified shifter
*Stock 85 Corvette Clutch
*A Billet Steel Fly Wheel (I am assuming this is for a 94-97 F-body)

Am I missing anything? Also I was told that the t56 can be a problem because of the C-beam, and that the tranny tends to move up when you shift. What are the fixes for this?

I apologize if any of my questions seem redundant or stupid, but I am relatively new at this. This will be by far the biggest project I have ever taken on. I do have some help from someone who knows what he is doing when it is time to do the swap, but it is up to me to get everything together.

dclafleur - I agree with you about the sticker shock. That is the main reason I am doing this in the winter and not now. When do you plan on doing the swap? I am interested in how the swap goes and what problems you encounter during it. You have an 85 so if you don't mind I will be picking your brain along the way.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:41 AM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gkrynick22
No problem at all with the delay, thanks for the detailed reply. I am interested in the TO Bearing if it is still available. I am going to start buying all of the necessary parts now and do this in the winter. Does anyone know if the 87 swap is any different then a 85? Would I use a stock clutch like this one?

http://carolinaclutch.com/ShowItem/105226.aspx

I am having trouble finding the TO bearing and shifter on the McLeod website. I'll give them a call tomorrow. So if I am understanding this correctly I will need:

*94-97 T56 + Bell Housing
*McLeod TO Bearing
*McLeod Shifter or a Modified shifter
*Stock 85 Corvette Clutch
*A Billet Steel Fly Wheel (I am assuming this is for a 94-97 F-body)

Am I missing anything? Also I was told that the t56 can be a problem because of the C-beam, and that the tranny tends to move up when you shift. What are the fixes for this?

I apologize if any of my questions seem redundant or stupid, but I am relatively new at this. This will be by far the biggest project I have ever taken on. I do have some help from someone who knows what he is doing when it is time to do the swap, but it is up to me to get everything together.

dclafleur - I agree with you about the sticker shock. That is the main reason I am doing this in the winter and not now. When do you plan on doing the swap? I am interested in how the swap goes and what problems you encounter during it. You have an 85 so if you don't mind I will be picking your brain along the way.
I'm doing mine this winter too, I tend to take my car apart at the beginning of November, I think I've had it in pieces every year for the last four years. One of the key issues we face is that we have a two piece rear main seal which means we need a special flywheel. So far I've seen centerforce, spec, ram and maybe mcleod offer a 153 tooth flywheel for an 11" clutch that will mount to an engine with a 2 piece rear main seal.

Quick Reply: T-56 vs 4+3 shifter placement