C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

New Opti, no start

Old 06-04-2011, 09:26 AM
TWISTERUP
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW--as a side note, if you didn't damage the new opti OR if you have to replace the new opti--it's a good idea to remove the cap--- the rotor itself is held on by two very tiny torx screws (they are very easy to cross thread so use care) and put a dab of loctite on the threads. Some companies do this and others don't. Over time without loctite these screws DO work loose and cause problems, the screws are so small they can be over tightened very easily, once again use care. IMO it's good insurance against having problems down the road.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Saubrenner
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wanting to take the cap off of the old one any way to see what's inside. I need to get an E4 torx for the cap, I'll have to go to Autozone this morning and get another set of water pump gaskets, too. The nearest one is 50 miles so the morning is shot.
I'll definitely do the Loctite if the Opti isn't killed. If I need a new one, it'll be next Sunday before I can mess with it again.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:01 PM
Saubrenner
Advanced

I took the new opti off and looked it over. I believe I did have the splines out of time. I took the old one apart and saw how it worked. I then stuck the old shaft in the motor and marked the top like it says to do in the service manual if your replacing the original. I stuck it in the old opti and noted where the rotor was pointing. I set the new one exactly the same and installed it (it went easier that time). When I turned the key it started right up. It only runs a few seconds but I hope that's because there is no water pump on it and it's shutting down.
I wanted to share this right away because I now know it's possible to install it wrong and there is some timing involved.
Thanks for all your help, I hope I'm right about the water sensor shutting it off.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:57 PM
TWISTERUP
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm guessing that you also didn't have the MAF connected to the throttle body-- between that and no ECT signal you'll likely be ok once you get it all back together. You'll likely also have a SES light when you do start it because some of the sensors were not connected. It was a good suggestion to start it before getting it back together. Now you know it will start and no backfiring
Old 06-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Saubrenner
Advanced

When I got the waterpump back on and water in it, it still died several times before idling right. Once it got the hang of it, it was fine. it now runs as well as it did before I started messing with it. Thanks again to all you guys for listening to my rants and giving suggestions.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:23 PM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Good to hear!
Old 06-05-2011, 12:49 AM
VetteAholicC4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's pretty hard to get the opti shaft misaligned in the female input in the timing chain cover.

I kept the backing with the shaft from my first opti spark. I now use it to mark where there double spline female input sits. Makes it alot easier to drop in the new opti spark that way. First time I did the job and cranked the car I had back fires. It rechecked the spark plugs and turns out I misplaced one, I re did them and the car ran fine. But what do you know, a few months later and I'm on my 4th opti

P.S. I just read page 2 LOL.

Last edited by VetteAholicC4; 06-05-2011 at 12:53 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Opti, no start