C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Replaced Head Gaskets - Huge Amounts of Smoke... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 02:40 PM
Lucky Kid
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced Head Gaskets - Huge Amounts of Smoke... HELP!

I bought an 86 with a blown head gasket(iron heads). I had the heads milled and got a valve job done, and checked for cracks.

I reassembled following all the instructions online. I had a little trouble with the distributor timing until it would start, but it eventually started and ran. Once running I had huge amounts of white smoke coming from the header and the tail pipe. I was hoping it was just smoke burning off but it kept going. After about a minute I killed it as it was very excessive at that point filling the garage to a point where I couldent see.

I am assuming this means I blew the gasket again or have a leak. There are no leaks on the exterior of the motor and I pulled the plugs and didn't see any coolent. I turned it over a few times to see if I'd have any coming out, but nada.

The oil pressure is also good.

How can I check to see if its blown again without taking it apart? I am REALLY hoping the smoke is from the previous blown gasket and just coolant/oil in the exhaust.

I really need help before I lose my mind!!!

Thank you in advance!
Lucky Kid, Roy
Old 06-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Lucky Kid
Intermediate

Just did a compression check,

1: 135
2: 135
3: 145
4: 150
5: 150
6: 160
7: 155
8: 150

Still nothing coming out of the plug holes.

Filled the radiator up a little more and everything is still dry.

I just put 5 fresh quarts of oil in, but I think I will empty it unless someone has some other suggestions.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:09 PM
Lucky Kid
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pete K
How warped were the block decks?
Never checked...I was told its rare they are warped by a couple people and just crossed my fingers. I tried to find a machinests straight edge but couldn't find one in the stores.

I do have good compression which I don't think would be possible if there was a cylnder-coolant leak... Please correct me if I'm wrong!
Old 06-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Lucky Kid
Intermediate

My experiences have taught me that the decks often warp 50% or more of what the heads do.
A compression test gives you an idea of how hard the piston pumps, not so much how well it is sealing. A leakdown tester tells you how well the entire combustion chamber seals.
Your best hope right now is that the smoke is residual coolant in the exhaust pipes.
Thats no good, mine were warped 10mil and 6mil...

Will i risk hydrolock by running it some more? I'd like to see if I can get any residual coolant out of the exhaust, if there is any.

Any other troubleshooting steps to check for coolant?

Thanks,
Lucky Kid
Old 06-05-2011, 03:32 PM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,023 Likes on 839 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Lucky Kid

Any other troubleshooting steps to check for coolant?

Thanks,
Lucky Kid
Put a stant pressure gauge on the raidiator and pump up to 12 lbs. See how long it holds pressure.

Good Luck

Mike
Old 06-05-2011, 03:35 PM
kh400
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I bought an 86 with a blown head gasket(iron heads). I had the heads milled and got a valve job done, and checked for cracks.

I reassembled following all the instructions online. I had a little trouble with the distributor timing until it would start, but it eventually started and ran. Once running I had huge amounts of white smoke coming from the header and the tail pipe. I was hoping it was just smoke burning off but it kept going. After about a minute I killed it as it was very excessive at that point filling the garage to a point where I couldent see.

I am assuming this means I blew the gasket again or have a leak. There are no leaks on the exterior of the motor and I pulled the plugs and didn't see any coolent. I turned it over a few times to see if I'd have any coming out, but nada.

The oil pressure is also good.

How can I check to see if its blown again without taking it apart? I am REALLY hoping the smoke is from the previous blown gasket and just coolant/oil in the exhaust.

I really need help before I lose my mind!!!

Thank you in advance!
Lucky Kid, Roy
Before you panic and take it apart again, just let it run. It takes a long time to burn off whatever is in the exhaust system. Chances are it's just what is left in there from previous problem. Take it for a long drive and it will probably stop smoking.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:00 PM
Lucky Kid
Intermediate

See my post above recommending a leakdown test. Or, you need a coolant exhaust gas tester.
I checked the oil through the dipstick and it looked great.

I might have to bite the bullet and get a leakdown tester.

I am going to try to start it again and give it a go...
Old 06-05-2011, 04:08 PM
powerpigz-51
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree....if there was a previous breech of the old gasket, you could have a lot of coolant in the muffs and cat. There is some kind of chemical test that looks for exhaust gas in the coolant. I would run it awhile and keep a good eye on what your oil looks like.....maybe run a few minutes at a time. The pressure test is a good idea, If you don't have a leak anywhere else. You could pull the plugs and crank it to see if you have water in the cylinders, if you are worried about hydrolock.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:42 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by kh400
Before you panic and take it apart again, just let it run. It takes a long time to burn off whatever is in the exhaust system. Chances are it's just what is left in there from previous problem. Take it for a long drive and it will probably stop smoking.
If the exhaoust got a lot of coolant in it, may take 1/2 hour to burn it out.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Lucky Kid
Intermediate

Thanks guys! I ran it for about 5-10 more minutes and it cleared up. Now, the exhaust is nice and clean!

Now I just have to figure out what is drawing current when the car is off, replace the stater cable, replace the battery and it should be driveable!

We'll see if the trans works

I really appreciate the help!!!
Old 06-05-2011, 06:32 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Thanks guys! I ran it for about 5-10 more minutes and it cleared up. Now, the exhaust is nice and clean!

Now I just have to figure out what is drawing current when the car is off, replace the stater cable, replace the battery and it should be driveable!

We'll see if the trans works

I really appreciate the help!!!
Thats good news. Good luck on the test drive.

Get notified of new replies

To Replaced Head Gaskets - Huge Amounts of Smoke... HELP!

Quick Reply: Replaced Head Gaskets - Huge Amounts of Smoke... HELP!