C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

hi idle dies when put in gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 01:36 AM
hamrhed42
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hi idle dies when put in gear

i got my 385 in and all buttoned up. having a issue with the idle.
i can get it to idle out of gear fine but it dosen't like to idle down low below 1000 rpm

when i shift into gear it dies. seems like a vaccum leak but ive been in and out and cant find any and ive tried setting the idle control valve per the instructions on this sight still no luck.
here's my combo

385 ci
scat 9000 3.75 stroke crank
flat top pistons
.042 quench
comp cams xfi 280 cam
1.6 rr
3000 stall converter
lingenfelter super ram
afr 195 heads
dui dizzy
msd p/n 8226 coil
tps set @ .54v
base timing with plug unpluged 6deg btdc
also immeidately dies when i unplug the ESC for timing checks
hard start then reves up to 2k and settles around 1500

hope someone will make something out of this. i expect the idle to be a bit higher due to the cam but it should not be screaming to stay running

i just replaced the IAC, helped but not fixed. seems like i have too little stall but its got a 3K 10" in there so what ya guys got?
Old 06-20-2011, 11:10 AM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Scan to verify Park/Neutral signal - without it, it dies when you put it in gear.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:28 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

......... You will need to do your own tuning ... a wideband O2S is pretty much a necessity ... the idle AFR is likely way off and will prevent any idle let alone a smooth steady one ... I have the same cam in a 409 ci motor and the XFI changed fueling requirements a lot compared to the XE that was in previously ... I'm currently running a FIRST Intake ... what size injectors ? What year ? and what bin and xdf ? or , custom tune ?
Old 06-20-2011, 05:46 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Sounds like it could be a timing issue. The motor should not shut off when the wire disconnected. Just for ducks, throw in 5 degrees more initlal timing. See if that cures the problem. With my setup, I idle at around 23 degrees (actual). See what yours is with the wire connected. Your setup may need more inital timing since you have lower vacuum at idle, then max out at 32-33 or so. You will need to be able to do your own tuning or have someone do a custom tune.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:05 AM
hamrhed42
Advanced

Originally Posted by C409
......... You will need to do your own tuning ... a wideband O2S is pretty much a necessity ... the idle AFR is likely way off and will prevent any idle let alone a smooth steady one ... I have the same cam in a 409 ci motor and the XFI changed fueling requirements a lot compared to the XE that was in previously ... I'm currently running a FIRST Intake ... what size injectors ? What year ? and what bin and xdf ? or , custom tune ?
i have a custom tune in the car from pcm4less. its a 87 with 32lbh bosch III injectors as tuned by pcm4less.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:11 AM
hamrhed42
Advanced

Originally Posted by 383vett
Sounds like it could be a timing issue. The motor should not shut off when the wire disconnected. Just for ducks, throw in 5 degrees more initlal timing. See if that cures the problem. With my setup, I idle at around 23 degrees (actual). See what yours is with the wire connected. Your setup may need more inital timing since you have lower vacuum at idle, then max out at 32-33 or so. You will need to be able to do your own tuning or have someone do a custom tune.
i did add some timing, and it helped but it still wants to die just nearly hangs on. now i can shift from park to drive but it will hunt wile in gear and idling for a while then settle down sure is a pain in the ***.

i did pull the intake off and replace the intake manifold gaskets as they were leaking oil into the intake now its better but still not right. still get a decent puff of smoke when i stomp on it and i dont like that.

i tinkered some more and still cant get this right now it will die when put in gear regaldless of the timing.

im starting to think i ruined my car by putting this engine in. i dident expect it to be the most behaved with a big cam and a 3k converter but for christ out loud i atleast want it to to go from part to drive and not be hunting for idle in a 700rpm window and it surging big time when i come to a stop light
Old 06-23-2011, 11:51 AM
383vett
Race Director

As suggested before, a wideband might be your friend. I find mine invaluable with tuning.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:34 PM
hamrhed42
Advanced

Thanks for the help. Im running out of time as a leave to go back to illinois for a month on the 26th. I did some reeding and will readjust my rockers and turn up the tps with a few more degrees timing and see what that nets me. Wish I could enjoy this before I leave but such is life
Old 06-23-2011, 07:40 PM
hamrhed42
Advanced

Thanks for the help. Im running out of time as a leave to go back to illinois for a month on the 26th. I did some reeding and will readjust my rockers and turn up the tps with a few more degrees timing and see what that nets me. Wish I could enjoy this before I leave but such is life
Old 06-23-2011, 07:51 PM
383vett
Race Director

Originally Posted by hamrhed42
Obviously you are not going to drive back. We stayed at Kaneohe 33 years ago on our honeymoon. It's a beautiful place and we revisit it every year or two. Good luck with your car. Willie
Old 06-24-2011, 01:22 AM
hamrhed42
Advanced

Originally Posted by 383vett
Im gtting more like 40 some odd..
Just a thaught I left the stock tach wire disconected and put in a dial tach. Ill recinnect it and see if the ecm needed that for one reason or another
Old 06-25-2011, 07:09 PM
hamrhed42
Advanced

Update, pulled the plugs all dry, black and sooty. All sighns of a vacuum leak
Also found oil behind the throttle blades. I just ordered a 1/8 thick intake gasker from mr. gasker. Im thinking its a leak from lifter valley to intake runners. Ill be back in a month to let everyone know how it went
Old 08-02-2011, 04:01 AM
hamrhed42
Advanced

Ok gents im back!

Replaced the intake gaskets and still same problem, then did every trick in the book to look for vac leaks anc what not, even used a little trickery with cigarette smoke and swabbed the runners looking for oil, no luck i know that there is no vaccum leak from the oil vally to intake runners...fact. What has crossed my mind is what if i got a bougus tine from pcm4less?

Thats next om the list ill pull the custom chip anc try to get it to run half worth a darn with my stock chip.

Im all ears if anyone cares to chime in.

Get notified of new replies

To hi idle dies when put in gear

Quick Reply: hi idle dies when put in gear