C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 (vs C3) differential question: Yoke longevity

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Default C4 (vs C3) differential question: Yoke longevity

Just curious why I never hear complaints about output yoke end-wear on C4 differentials similar to how often (and quickly) the yokes wear out in C3 differentials. The basic construction looks similar. Does the "opposite" offset of the C4 wheels reduce the side force enough in straightline driving to reduce/eliminate this problem? Or, what is the reason?

Just curious.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:22 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

The yokes on a C3 can push in against the the pin that the spiders ride on pretty easy if the camber is way off. I dont think it can happen on a C4. I put 200k miles on a C3 and never had that problem.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.

Originally Posted by JackDidley
The yokes on a C3 can push in against the the pin that the spiders ride on pretty easy if the camber is way off. I dont think it can happen on a C4. I put 200k miles on a C3 and never had that problem.
The camber is set the same way on both models (C3 and C4).
Old 06-28-2011, 08:53 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
Just curious why I never hear complaints about output yoke end-wear on C4 differentials similar to how often (and quickly) the yokes wear out in C3 differentials. The basic construction looks similar.

This is a very good question. I've never considered this until now, and now I'm curious about this, too. I don't think I've ever heard of yoke end wear problems on a D44 or D36.

Does the "opposite" offset of the C4 wheels reduce the side force enough in straightline driving to reduce/eliminate this problem? Or, what is the reason?
I doubt this is the answer. In straight-line travel, there's no relative movement between the yokes' ends and the shaft they bear upon, so there should be no wear regardless of side loading in straight-line travel, even in a C2/C3.

Anybody know the answer to this? I'm guessing maybe better hardening of the yoke ends than was done on the yokes in C2/C3 diffs?

Live well,

SJW
Old 06-28-2011, 10:57 PM
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by SJW
This is a very good question. I've never considered this until now, and now I'm curious about this, too. I don't think I've ever heard of yoke end wear problems on a D44 or D36.

I doubt this is the answer. In straight-line travel, there's no relative movement between the yokes' ends and the shaft they bear upon, so there should be no wear regardless of side loading in straight-line travel, even in a C2/C3. Remember, no two tires are exactly the same circumference, especially if they've got a few autocrosses or miles on them. There's always going to be some relative movement going on in the differential. Anybody know the answer to this? I'm guessing maybe better hardening of the yoke ends than was done on the yokes in C2/C3 diffs?

Live well,

SJW
I've thought about the heat treating issue several times, and it's disappointing to think of the possibility of a very basic manufacturing process like this being hit or miss as often as it seemed to be.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 (vs C3) differential question: Yoke longevity

Quick Reply: C4 (vs C3) differential question: Yoke longevity