C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 07:25 AM
BillMeyer
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions

Ok, I have the '94 home and am reading my owners manual. A few questions arise :
1, If you guys change oil in your garage , on your back like me, w/out a
lift, how do you get it up into the air enough to get under it. Am I
correct I would build a wooden ramp so as to get the floor jack
under it and then raise it?
2. In the manual it refers to the LT1 and LT5 motors- I assume I ignore
the code J and focus on the code p- that being the LT1.
3. Owners manual recommends Mobil 1 5w30- Is this what everyone
uses- I realize synthetic oil may be a personal preference as to
brand or location/ availability.
4. Antenna will not go down- am I correct to look for a relay and if so
where?
thanks in advance
Old 06-29-2011, 07:44 AM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can change oil on my 87 Vert on the ground with no car ramps or floor jack used & see my way around with both eyes.

Use what ever brand oil you prefer.

Premium brand oil would be my recommendation.

Synthetic oils are very good too.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:50 AM
dewfall
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BillMeyer
Ok, I have the '94 home and am reading my owners manual. A few questions arise :
1, If you guys change oil in your garage , on your back like me, w/out a
lift, how do you get it up into the air enough to get under it. Am I
correct I would build a wooden ramp so as to get the floor jack
under it and then raise it?
2. In the manual it refers to the LT1 and LT5 motors- I assume I ignore
the code J and focus on the code p- that being the LT1.
3. Owners manual recommends Mobil 1 5w30- Is this what everyone
uses- I realize synthetic oil may be a personal preference as to
brand or location/ availability.
4. Antenna will not go down- am I correct to look for a relay and if so
where?
thanks in advance

If you are used to most other cars, when you first try to cram a floor jack under a Corvette it can be a challenge. A lot of jacks out there won't even fit under the car, so try using a low profile one. Assuming you have that, you can either raise it by the lift points as outlined in the manual, or if you want to just raise the frt end, you can lift at center of the frame right between the frt wheels. Alternatively, get yourself a good pair of ramps from an auto parts store.

If you have an LT1 motor then yes, you should pay attention to only the "P" stuff when information is specific to the engine type. J is the oh so mighty ZR1 motor.

I personally use whatever oil the manufacturer recommends. Automotive engineers put a lot of testing and analysis into evaluating the best brand and weight.

If you are experiencing electrical trouble you really should think about getting a pair of factory service manuals, not Chilton's or Hayes, to diagnose. You can find them used on ebay or go to helminc.com for a new set.

Last edited by dewfall; 06-29-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:16 PM
BillMeyer
Heel & Toe

Default thanks for the input

Thanks for the input , will I am sure be asking a lot more ?s in the future. The more I look under the hood the more I realize - WOW!!
Old 06-29-2011, 03:08 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

low pro floor jacks rock.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:21 PM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Rhino Ramps for $40 at Advanced Auto or O'Reilly's
Old 06-29-2011, 03:28 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 162 Posts

If you dont have a low profile jack, just place a few pieces of wood in front of the wheels, drive the car so it comes to a stop on top of the wood and then you gain a bit of clearance, hopefully enough to get a standard size jack under it. My 3ton craftsman jack goes under it without a problem though.

You're antenna probably has a stripped ribbon cable. Mine was in the permanent up position when I bought the car too. I removed the antenna with the intent to replace the cable but even without it the local stations come in fine, I never reinstalled it. Have someone turn the radio on/off while you listen near the antenna. If you hear the antenna motor running without any movement then you know it is a stripped cable.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:50 PM
BillMeyer
Heel & Toe

Default thanks for the input

thanks for the info. on the antenna- that is exactly what it does. I do have a Craftsman 3 ton floor jack. Will probably take the idea of building my own wood ramps to get some clearance before jacking.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:35 PM
ks5shooter
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13

Standard ramps with a 2 foot piece of 2x6 laid on ground in front of ramps.Gets you enough clearance to go up ramps.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:34 AM
AVL94LT1383
Advanced

Just one thing you might want to consider... the 94 doesn't have an oil cooler and I do recall the recogmendation to use syn oil for better heat performance... of course this assumes it is still stock.
Also, know that the LT-1 came in a few different versions and is def. different in some very interesting ways than a L-98. So be careful of advice from fellow L-98 owners or LT-1 information from 92 and 93 LT-1's as they have a few key items that are different.
No one means bad, they just might not know the differences and assume all C-4 SBC enginies are the same....
Old 06-30-2011, 01:00 AM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pmihaltian
Rhino Ramps for $40 at Advanced Auto or O'Reilly's
I have those too, and they r great !!
Old 06-30-2011, 01:05 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by ks5shooter
Standard ramps with a 2 foot piece of 2x6 laid on ground in front of ramps.Gets you enough clearance to go up ramps.
The cars with 275's or bigger have a hard time with those, at least all mine do. Tires got a little smaller on the later lt1's.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:34 AM
dewfall
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AVL94LT1383
Just one thing you might want to consider... the 94 doesn't have an oil cooler and I do recall the recogmendation to use syn oil for better heat performance... of course this assumes it is still stock.
Also, know that the LT-1 came in a few different versions and is def. different in some very interesting ways than a L-98. So be careful of advice from fellow L-98 owners or LT-1 information from 92 and 93 LT-1's as they have a few key items that are different.
No one means bad, they just might not know the differences and assume all C-4 SBC enginies are the same....

I have a '94 LT1 and there is a small cooler mounted way down low on the frame between the radiator and HB. Never took the time to investigate what flows throught it, but I imagine it is oil or trans fluid.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:53 AM
BillMeyer
Heel & Toe

dewfall- HB- I assume is heater block? Will be going to Advance Auto for a look at the Rhino ramps.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:11 AM
dewfall
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BillMeyer
dewfall- HB- I assume is heater block? Will be going to Advance Auto for a look at the Rhino ramps.
Good guess. I meant harmonic balancer (and crankpulley which is integrated into it).
Old 06-30-2011, 05:40 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stick with Mobile One 5w-30.

I had the Rhino ramps and hated them. I used them a couple of times and then threw them in the attic. The front spoiler pushes the ramps forward as you try to go up them. As others have pointed out you can try to pull up on some wood and then up on the ramps. Personally I do not trust the material they are made from. I have seen a few posts on the Internet of them failing under normal use.

I use a floor jack on one side at the recommended jacking location then place two jack stands under it. One for support and one for backup. I then go to the other side of the car and repeat.

The pictures only show where I put one stand to support the vehicle but I always put two on each side. The second for backup.

If you decide to jack it up at the stock locations, between the two arrows there, be carefully the jack you use does not crush the lines that run along there.

I've also placed the stand here before.

Last edited by rickneworleansla; 06-30-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:14 PM
AVL94LT1383
Advanced

Default Gemba

Originally Posted by dewfall
I have a '94 LT1 and there is a small cooler mounted way down low on the frame between the radiator and HB. Never took the time to investigate what flows throught it, but I imagine it is oil or trans fluid.
As I said.... if it is a 94 you might want to check the plumbing on that "cooler"... hey,, it could be a power steering fluid cooler ... but I would NOT put my money on that it is a engine oil cooler

Get notified of new replies

To questions

Quick Reply: questions