C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

T56 install & modifying the "C" Beam

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 11:48 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Damn, how does the rear tailshaft housing on a t56 differ from the housing on a tko 500 or a t5? If they're the same I might see if I can buy the bracket from one of the companies that offer a tko conversion..
Old 07-17-2011, 08:02 AM
85MikeTPI
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanZ51
But I have to test fit the Trans, Bracket, and C-Beam into the car to determine the exact hole location. Doesn't really make sense to me (seems more like a manufacturing short cut).
This was exactly my point to them. I'm doing an LS3/L92 + T56 into a '92 vette and was hoping the C-beam would help locate the drivetrain. Instead I have to drill the Cbeam adapter to fit and could run into trouble later on.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:15 AM
85MikeTPI
Racer

Originally Posted by dclafleur
Damn, how does the rear tailshaft housing on a t56 differ from the housing on a tko 500 or a t5? If they're the same I might see if I can buy the bracket from one of the companies that offer a tko conversion..
Mostly a T5 from a 3rdgen Fbody is used and they have an angle built into them which the C-beam adapter has to account for.

http://members.cisdi.com/~anesthes/f...nstalled/1.jpg

The TKO's were not GM factory installs and lack some of the exh hanger bolts, and different cross-member attachments of the T56.

Both the T5 and TKO have different shifter mounts and in different locations than the T56.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2984...58614284WdbTBC

Neither adapter would be a direct fit, but might be a good start if you're fabbing one and the price is right.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:18 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
Mostly a T5 from a 3rdgen Fbody is used and they have an angle built into them which the C-beam adapter has to account for.

http://members.cisdi.com/~anesthes/f...nstalled/1.jpg

The TKO's were not GM factory installs and lack some of the exh hanger bolts, and different cross-member attachments of the T56.

Both the T5 and TKO have different shifter mounts and in different locations than the T56.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2984...58614284WdbTBC

Neither adapter would be a direct fit, but might be a good start if you're fabbing one and the price is right.
I didn't know you owned a corvette, Mike.

If going with a TKO, I'd probably use the t56 adapter and modify it as needed. As mike pointed out, the T5 is offset 23 or so degrees and I think it would be more work modifying that adapter.

In regards to slotting holes - even when I had a ZF6 in my C4, I had to re-tighten the cbeam bolts twice as they losened up. I don't know if it was from vibrations of the single mass flywheel, the power, or what. I tightened it to spec, as opposed to just hammering it with my impact gun because I've seen pictures of a guy that cracked his ZF6 over tightening the bolts.

-- Joe
Old 07-18-2011, 08:22 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I believe they are the only ones selling retail.. I asked him to
rectify the apparent change and lack of notification and was told
to F-off in not so many words.

"Just send it back and I will refund All your money
I have other people that have ordered the bracket I can sale it to."

I didn't receive any instructions, or I wouldn't hesitate scanning them and posting them though I doubt they'd amount to much.
Tom is actually a really nice guy, perhaps you caught him on a bad day.

I worked with him quite a bit a couple years ago on the T5 adapter.

He has two jigs, one a T56 rear section, and another a T5 that I gave him. I can't imagine why the bolt pattern would be wrong on that tab. I know he tacks them in place on the jig, then bench welds them. That is a heck of a lot to be off just from heat.. But who knows.

-- Joe
Old 07-18-2011, 08:39 AM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by anesthes
Tom is actually a really nice guy, perhaps you caught him on a bad day.

I worked with him quite a bit a couple years ago on the T5 adapter.

He has two jigs, one a T56 rear section, and another a T5 that I gave him. I can't imagine why the bolt pattern would be wrong on that tab. I know he tacks them in place on the jig, then bench welds them. That is a heck of a lot to be off just from heat.. But who knows.

-- Joe
Glad to see ya popping back in Joe, I know you've looked at more of these transmissions than I have so I appreciate the feedback.

Since I got such a screaming deal on the T56 I want to make it work, I'm just worried that if I'm going to have to rework an adapter I buy than is it more in my interest to see if I can get one made up.

I wonder if the original jig has somehow warped or shifted from use or been dropped and no longer lines up as accurately as it originally did.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:45 AM
85MikeTPI
Racer

I didn't know you owned a corvette, Mike.
I've had this 1000hp T56 sitting around for over a year and
found a '92 C4 to wrap around it A VVT L92 is getting
freshened up, but may end up becoming a LS3 if the VVT
accessories don't fit in the C4. I'll always have my '85 Fbody,
which I bought new off the lot in '85.

Tom is actually a really nice guy, perhaps you caught him on a bad day
Perhaps, but unfortunate that first impressions are lasting ones..
What's pictured on the website and what I was shipped are pretty
far apart IMHO..
Old 07-18-2011, 12:06 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I've had this 1000hp T56 sitting around for over a year and
found a '92 C4 to wrap around it A VVT L92 is getting
freshened up, but may end up becoming a LS3 if the VVT
accessories don't fit in the C4. I'll always have my '85 Fbody,
which I bought new off the lot in '85.
Was it an A4 car? Bolting the pedals in is fun. my '87 was an A4 car that I had swapped to a T5 and had a ZF6 in it too.

I'm on my third holley singleplane EFI intake btw, and the fuel rail bolt holes are still off. Least they have been consistent over the last 10 years.

-- Joe
Old 07-18-2011, 12:09 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dclafleur
Glad to see ya popping back in Joe, I know you've looked at more of these transmissions than I have so I appreciate the feedback.

Since I got such a screaming deal on the T56 I want to make it work, I'm just worried that if I'm going to have to rework an adapter I buy than is it more in my interest to see if I can get one made up.

I wonder if the original jig has somehow warped or shifted from use or been dropped and no longer lines up as accurately as it originally did.
Hello,

Not sure why they are off. T56 should be a decent trans in that car.
Did you get an LT/LS or a aftermarket?

I pop in the site from time to time. I wanted to buy a C5 ragtop this summer, but with an uncertain economy I think I'll hold on to my money for now. I've spent about 30,000 this winter on remodel to my home so I better chill out. Maybe next year the C6's will come down in price

-- Joe
Old 07-18-2011, 12:14 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Hello,

Not sure why they are off. T56 should be a decent trans in that car.
Did you get an LT/LS or a aftermarket?

I pop in the site from time to time. I wanted to buy a C5 ragtop this summer, but with an uncertain economy I think I'll hold on to my money for now. I've spent about 30,000 this winter on remodel to my home so I better chill out. Maybe next year the C6's will come down in price

-- Joe
Picked up an LT take out from a '97 TA came up local to me for $500 with bellhousing, hydraulics flywheel and even a Spec pressure plate and clutch even though I probably won't use those.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:32 AM
Austvet
Heel & Toe

My thoughts exactly..

The bracket was requested unpainted because I wasn't sure if I would need to clearance it around my larger SSR (32spline) T56 tailhousing.

Other than drilling through a support rib, it looks like it will work.. I'll POR15 coat it after drilling the C-beam bolt holes.
Thanks for photo. Will show to mech shop if we can't buy one over the counter. Hopefully it will inspire him. How did you go with shifter lining up with original hole in console? Thanks
Old 04-24-2014, 05:00 AM
Unicon
3rd Gear

I think you need to try s-type beams which are good to provide support. These are perfect for those operation which you are required. I think you need to try it.

Last edited by Unicon; 04-28-2014 at 03:36 AM.

Quick Reply: T56 install & modifying the "C" Beam