C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

not sure what I bought

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 12:15 AM
senter9
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not sure what I bought

I bought a 93 vette beautiful car. The engine has been modified, edelbrock intake, different roller rockers, not sure about a cam. The guy said it was chipped, but I cant find it. I know the ECM may be reprogrammed (if that is what you call it). There are issues with it passing smog, everything on the visual is intact. To much fuel. How can I tell what is going on with it? I would like to put the programming back to stock if possible. Not sure if that can be done with the engine mods. I would appreciate any help. I am a first time corvette owner. Thanks
Old 07-15-2011, 12:52 AM
cwyates4
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post some pics of the engine bay, that could be useful to someone as they try to determine what you've got.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:10 AM
navy_vette
Burning Brakes

I doubt the cam has been changed out. Of course, you really can't tell by looking, but if I had to pick the motor, I would be changing a heck of a lot more than just the cam. If he put a full bottom end into the engine, you would notice and he would tell you. He probably just put the roller rockers on plus a few top end things like throttle body or something along those lines. Then got the "stock+" chip. It's something like the "Level 2" tune from TPiS.com. Click here. Where are you? If you are near a shop that deals with Corvettes alot, they will most likely have a stock chip they pulled out of another comparable C4. Just drop it in, let it run for awhile, then get it smogged.

*NOTICE*
Catalitic converters are a really cool piece of technology. Unfortunately, the chemical process that occurs in the that makes your car better for the environment will not start until the converter itself hits a couple hundred degrees. Then, the chemical process produces heat. Your catalitic converter will not start operating completely for about 15 mins of drive time. Plan your smogging so you can drive around for a good 20 mins. You'll do better on the test.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:31 AM
senter9
Instructor

Thanks navy_vette, I'm in northern CA. it kinda sounds and feels like a cam but I think its to much fuel. does this stock plus chip replace the ECM.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:37 AM
senter9
Instructor

navy_vette where is this chip? confused.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:10 AM
James93LT1
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

The chip is located in the ECM. Under the ECM you will find a cover, and the chip is located in there.

The chip contains the engine operation program.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:13 AM
navy_vette
Burning Brakes

Too bad, if you were in San Diego I would have told you to go to the place that gave my car new life. When you got to the shop to get the stock chip they will tell you where it goes. They will probably put it in for you for a few $$.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:14 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Need to get someone to scan it see what its doing then get a good tune in person. Not a 1 or 2 hr job quickie "should be close" job, let them spend some time with it and make it right.

Without knowing whats in it maill order anything is a waste of time and money.

Post in the regional and scan and tune sections for someone that knows what they are doing. You can have a cam and pass in Ca. just need a competent tuner.

Where in Ca are you located?
Old 07-15-2011, 07:38 AM
hgh pwr
Racer

You have to go back to the previous owner and find out what he modded on this car,what cam is in there?

Plus he has the responsability for the smog not you,the car has to be smogged before he can sell it to you in california,so he has to fix it by law.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:24 AM
senter9
Instructor

Thanks for all of the help guys. there is a place in redding ca called full throttle maybe they can do a scan for me so I know what i have.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:29 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by cwyates4
Post some pics of the engine bay, that could be useful to someone as they try to determine what you've got.

Get notified of new replies

To not sure what I bought

Quick Reply: not sure what I bought