C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Opti-Spark Distributor 95 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 02:16 PM
jcreech
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opti-Spark Distributor 95 Vette

Has anyone replaced their Opti-Spark Distributor with a Delteq Opti-Direct Ignition System?
My 95 is in GM shop for 2nd time in 2 months having the entire GM opti-spark distributor replaced. They say it was a faulty oil seal that caused the failure.
I've been looking at the Delteq Opti-Direct Ignition System but want to hear from you guys that may have installed one on your C4.
Delteq web site: http://www.delteq.com

Thankx for your help!!!
Old 07-18-2011, 02:42 PM
1963SS
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no first hand experience with the Delteq but I have many years of service from the Bailey LTCC system I think they're similar. They remove the high voltage from the opti and the Mitsubishi sensor seems to last a long time. I've got over 200,000 miles on the Bailey system and although I carry a spare module, I've never needed it. I would think that the Delteq would be just as reliable. I like the mod a lot.

It's $399.00 for the module and harness. http://www.bailey-eng.com/LTCC.html and you'll still need coil packs, wires and a way to mount the coils.

I'm not sayin' one is better than the other, but rather giving you an opinion on an alternative. Here's an old pic of me fabbing it all together. I made new 10 gauge anodized aluminum fuel rail covers and mounted the coils on them. I think it looks a lot neater than covering up the valve cover with coils. It allows for much easier valve cover removal.

I used the roll-your-own Taylor Spiro-pro 8mm wires. They come with straight, 45 and 90 degree ends that will fit whatever header or manifold you may have. I'll have the part number if you need it.

Good luck and if you need anything, just ask.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:09 PM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Faulty oil seal..or did they not change it..or did they screw it up when they changed it..hmmmmmmm.....
Old 07-18-2011, 04:57 PM
vettef6
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced mine a few months ago. I bought mine used on this forum and had no problems with the Delteq so far.

You can't buy anything from Delteq anymore. They seem to have gone out of business.

If I had come up with the idea of placing the coils like 1963SS did, I would have surely bought the LTCC system. Don't like the coils sitting on the valve covers, especially since I converted to a SR cam.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:41 PM
jcreech
Cruising

Originally Posted by 1963SS
I have no first hand experience with the Delteq but I have many years of service from the Bailey LTCC system I think they're similar. They remove the high voltage from the opti and the Mitsubishi sensor seems to last a long time. I've got over 200,000 miles on the Bailey system and although I carry a spare module, I've never needed it. I would think that the Delteq would be just as reliable. I like the mod a lot.

It's $399.00 for the module and harness. http://www.bailey-eng.com/LTCC.html and you'll still need coil packs, wires and a way to mount the coils.

I'm not sayin' one is better than the other, but rather giving you an opinion on an alternative. Here's an old pic of me fabbing it all together. I made new 10 gauge anodized aluminum fuel rail covers and mounted the coils on them. I think it looks a lot neater than covering up the valve cover with coils. It allows for much easier valve cover removal.

I used the roll-your-own Taylor Spiro-pro 8mm wires. They come with straight, 45 and 90 degree ends that will fit whatever header or manifold you may have. I'll have the part number if you need it.

Good luck and if you need anything, just ask.

Thankx Sarge. Good info. I'm going to do a wate and see for a few months on the work they are doing.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:43 PM
jcreech
Cruising

Originally Posted by mfi
Faulty oil seal..or did they not change it..or did they screw it up when they changed it..hmmmmmmm.....
I would go with the "screw it up when they changed it". I'm getting free labor and parts. I'll see if they get it right this time.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:46 PM
jcreech
Cruising

Originally Posted by vettef6
I replaced mine a few months ago. I bought mine used on this forum and had no problems with the Delteq so far.

You can't buy anything from Delteq anymore. They seem to have gone out of business.

If I had come up with the idea of placing the coils like 1963SS did, I would have surely bought the LTCC system. Don't like the coils sitting on the valve covers, especially since I converted to a SR cam.

I'm going to let them (GM dealer) fix it again. If it doesn't work this time I will go with this Delteq if I can find one. Going to shop around before I do anything.

Get notified of new replies

To Opti-Spark Distributor 95 Vette

Quick Reply: Opti-Spark Distributor 95 Vette