C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Are there any "solid" harmonic balancers???

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2002, 08:04 AM
Rich B.
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Are there any "solid" harmonic balancers???

I'm planning on replacing my harmonic balancer, but I'd like to get a solid steel or iron, rather than the molded/bonded OEM iron one.

I see in Chevy High Performance that Pro Race advertises an "all steel" damper but it's unclear if it is solid or not...

BTW: I've had high-mileage OEM dampers slip (rubber allows outer weight ring to turn)...If you have a strange driveline vibration, that's probably it...Timing marks will be off, too...
Old 04-28-2002, 09:17 AM
BBA
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Are there any "solid" harmonic balancers??? (Rich B.)

You have to have aftermarket for dampers without the rubber coupling. None of them are solid, because that would just act as a flywheel, not a dmaper.

I recommend Fluidamper SFI dampers, but there are many others on the market, just look through summit or jegs catalogs. ( the easiest way to find them is to do a catalog search for balancers or dampers from http://www.catalogs.google.com )
Old 04-28-2002, 10:50 AM
tommelton
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Are there any "solid" harmonic balancers??? (BBA)

Yes, I believe there are solid dampners. Check the latest Summit Racing catalog, manufacturer is CAT (Cal Auto Transpeed) and they say made of 1020 forged steel, and the pics look like solid steel, with counterweights.

But I do not see how they would work...

Tom Melton
82 CE
86 Z51 Coupe
Old 04-28-2002, 11:54 AM
MSR
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

BBA hit on why there aren't any solid ones: no damping.

actually, there are solid ones, they rely on moving internal parts (or fluid). also, the better (non-solid) aftermarket ones are locked together (clips and/or pins) such that the 2 halves can't move more than a certain amount, relative to each other. that's why those don't come apart or move the outer ring like stock ones.

i'd have to vote against fluidampr, though. those aren't desirable for a couple of reasons. first, the internal fluid is very viscous when cold, so the engine is running imbalanced until it warms up enough to spread as it should. (also, you can't balance an engine with one, fluidampr even admits to that, for the opposite reason - 'cause then it will always be out of balance when running!)

the other reason is that i've heard a lot of horror stories about breakage from A Sedan roadracers.

my vote goes to ATI, or Romac. a lot of big, respected builders go with ATI for race engines. i have a lot of experience with Romac, and just can't fault them. (houston performance has the chevy ones in stock, and they're cheapest in the country anyhow.)
Old 04-28-2002, 12:04 PM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Street Dampner that has no rubber ring on it. I think it has some gel in it. My hamonic balancer on my 85 was so bad that it just about ate a hole in the timing cover. The street dampner is a very nice unit Here is the part # flu-716242 $160 at summit.

Get notified of new replies

To Are there any "solid" harmonic balancers???

Quick Reply: Are there any "solid" harmonic balancers???