C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Budget 2-row radiator comparison

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 04:20 PM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
Good job there Greg!

When opting for my choice the two candidates were Champion and DeWitts.

I chose DeWitts because its an American owned company and the products are produced in the USA. And they had a great sale going on at the time.......

And the Dewitts double row drops right in, is made much better in the USA, (although costs more) w/included wider rubber isolators with feet made to fit into them, & no shroud trimming required!

Last edited by mako41; 08-14-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:37 PM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN

The body of the two stat's pictured look the same as the shape of the Mr. Gasket version I purchased. I kinda figured one manufacturer with various badging, but maybe there's really a difference.

OTOH, I notice the description says 180 is the "opening temperature rating". It was pointed out (to me) that this could be the temperature the stat STARTS to open vs being fully open.

If the 180 runs at 195 in my car, maybe a 160 (from the same manufacturer) would run at 175? Probably better to stay at the higher temp for emissions and oil condensation removal though. Would be interesting to know if I got more power and better response at the lower temp....again due to the compression in the engine.
Did they offer any kind of warranty Greg on the Champion radiator you purchased?
Lifetime warranty, 2 years, or 1 year ?

You are going to have to experiment with T- stats, cooling fans, ect to get the coolant temps to 170 or so where you want them.

Pics of the different brand name high performance application T-stats do all look the same.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:58 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 87 vette 81 big girl
Did they offer any kind of warranty Greg on the Champion radiator you purchased?
Lifetime warranty, 2 years, or 1 year ?
100% Guaranteed Customer Satisfaction, 1st 60 Days From Date Of Purchase ...

Lifetime Warranty ...
Old 08-14-2011, 05:00 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by mako41
And the Dewitts double row drops right in, is made much better in the USA, (although costs over 3 times more) w/included wider rubber isolators with feet made to fit into them, & no shroud trimming required!
Fixed.

BTW...This thread was intended to be a budget radiator options AND performance thread. I didn't REALLY want to get into comparing budget options to $500+ radiators. OTOH, I think it'll be good to have performance observations gathered in one place.

If people are interested in adding empirical data for comparison, I think cubic inches, compression, radiator config, price, fan modifications (if any), and temps/conditions (seen on the road/track) would be the requirements to post. That's about as fair as it can get.

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 08-14-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:21 PM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Fixed.

BTW...This thread was intended to be a budget radiator options AND performance thread. I didn't REALLY want to get into comparing budget options to $500+ radiators. OTOH, I think it'll be good to have performance observations gathered in one place.

If people are interested in adding empirical data for comparison, I think cubic inches, compression, radiator config, price, and temps/conditions would be the requirements to post. That's about as fair as it can get.
Everyone has opinions Greg,
nothing new on C4.
You have a decent replacement aluminum radiator.

The Be Cool Radiator w/ intergral auto trans cooler I installed in my '63 G.P. costed me $650.00 without IL sales tax.
Does the job nice keeping it cool in hot midwest summer heat.
Cheaper alternative than finding a 1963 factory 4- row SD421 radiator at a cost of over $1,000.

Did Champion Radiators give a BTU heat discharge rating per second, per minute, or per hour in your research done ?
Best way to compare different brand of radiators & different construction materials & assembly techniques.

In Nascar they take 2 separate 2 row aluminum radiators cut the side tanks off of one side & TIG Weld them together back shut.

Coolest thing if you ever have seen photos or up close in person looking at one of those TIG welded paired aluminum racing radiators.

BR

Last edited by 87 vette 81 big girl; 08-14-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:39 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Everyone has opinions Greg,
No doubt. If people consider higher priced radiators "budget", go ahead an post about it. If they really do a better job of cooling, that's worth seeing as well.

I also bought a Scat9000 crank for my 383. IIRC, it's made in the same country as my new radiator. So far, so good for both of them!

No Brian, I wasn't born yesterday. I asked all sellers of budget radiators for their BTU rating. Guess how that went! That's why I figured this thread would/could better identify performance characteristics w/o having a formal heat rating.

I also think it's beneficial for budget buyers to see what's involved with the installation.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:44 PM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

No doubt. If people consider higher priced radiators "budget", go ahead an post about it. If they really do a better job of cooling, that's worth seeing as well.

I also bought a Scat9000 crank for my 383. IIRC, it's made in the same country as my new radiator. So far, so good for both of them!

No Brian, I wasn't born yesterday. I asked all sellers of budget radiators for their BTU rating. Guess how that went! That's why I figured this thread would/could better identify performance characteristics w/o having a formal heat rating.

I also think it's beneficial for budget buyers to see what's involved with the installation.
Greg,

I know what Budget friendly means too.

I bought that Be Cool Radiator back in 2005.
Sidejobs were for the picking & I had my day job too.
I made an extra $500 to $2,000 per week making repairs on daily driver's & racecars for people I knew & others that heard I was a good mechanic too.

Fast forward to 2011.................

Sucks................

I know you research too.

Just asking Greg about BTU's.
Don't bite my head off & spit it out back at me.
On your side.

LOL
Old 08-14-2011, 05:45 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Types of fans and general techniques for cooling would be worth posting as well. I could see fans, fan brands, front spoilers, and cooling "scoops" as being part of this topic....

Of course, there's always gonna be the hi-dollar "pro" stuff vs the budget, everyday-common-man options too. So, I don't see this turning into a NASCAR cooling thread!
Old 08-14-2011, 05:48 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Just asking Greg about BTU's.
Don't bite my head off & spit it out back at me.
On your side.
No "bite" intended...Sorry for coming across that way! Guess I'm just anticipating a thing or two that I hope doesn't happen here.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:49 PM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Types of fans and general techniques for cooling would be worth posting as well. I could see fans, fan brands, front spoilers, and cooling "scoops" as being part of this topic....

Of course, there's always gonna be the hi-dollar "pro" stuff vs the budget, everyday-common-man options too. So, I don't see this turning into a NASCAR cooling thread!
If C4's had big open grilles like a 1970 LS-6 454 Chevelle.
They would hold 140 - 170 real easy with old cooling system tricks.

NASCAR works real hard to keep engine water temps down also.
Just like us C4 guys & gals.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:50 PM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

No "bite" intended...Sorry for coming across that way! Guess I'm just anticipating a thing or two that I hope doesn't happen here.
Ah chit Greg,

We are becoming grumpy old men & in our 40's yet...........LOL
Old 08-14-2011, 08:17 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

To obtain more cooling, you would do best to install a higher volume water pump. When my 87 OEM pump started leaking, I installed a Stewart high volume waterpump and it made a big difference in cooling. In summer at stoplights my coolant temps would rise to 210 or so and with the Stewart waterpump it would only go to 200 and much more quickly it would drop to 195 (my thermostat) when I got underway. Installing a lower opening temperature thermostat will not do anything to lower your coolant temps when stopped. If your thermostat is wide open now, a lower thermostat will also be wide open and your coolant temps will be identical. Your coolant temp stabilizes at a temperature where the radiator gets rid of heat as fast as the engine makes it when the thermostat is wide open. A thermostat only sets the minimum temperature the engine operates at, it has absolutely nothing to do with the coolant temperature after it becomes wide open. For the life of me I don't understand why this is so difficult to understand.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:31 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by jfb
To obtain more cooling, you would do best to install a higher volume water pump. When my 87 OEM pump started leaking, I installed a Stewart high volume waterpump and it made a big difference in cooling. In summer at stoplights my coolant temps would rise to 210 or so and with the Stewart waterpump it would only go to 200 and much more quickly it would drop to 195 (my thermostat) when I got underway. Installing a lower opening temperature thermostat will not do anything to lower your coolant temps when stopped. If your thermostat is wide open now, a lower thermostat will also be wide open and your coolant temps will be identical. Your coolant temp stabilizes at a temperature where the radiator gets rid of heat as fast as the engine makes it when the thermostat is wide open. A thermostat only sets the minimum temperature the engine operates at, it has absolutely nothing to do with the coolant temperature after it becomes wide open. For the life of me I don't understand why this is so difficult to understand.
Here's where you are going to say "Whoops! Never mind." Go back and look at the link at the end of my post #4. I already HAVE a high flow water pump, new radiator, and intended to buy a 180-stat (at full opening).

If successful, I would have 180-deg temps....at least part of the time. It's clear from running that stat since Aug 2010, that it can't possibly be fully open at 180. The lowest temp even in winter doesn't indicate it.

For the life of me, I don't understand why it's so difficult to read!
Old 08-14-2011, 08:34 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Ah chit Greg,

We are becoming grumpy old men & in our 40's yet...........LOL
How's the post above for grumpy!?!?!

Seriously...wish I was still in my 40's! But, that ship sailed a couple years back.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:35 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

nice upgrade

C4's definitely have cooling issues.

that's why I installed a large oil cooler out back
Old 08-14-2011, 08:38 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

The more HP & Torque you make,
the harder you tax the engine cooling system at all times.
You have over 600 ft/lbs of engine flywheel torque.

Engines displace around 80 - 85% of fuel burned in radiant heat out out to the cooling system & exhaust.

Far from 100% thermal efficiency per drop of gasoline ignited inside of the cylinder combustion chamber.

Brian
Speaking of efficiency...It's my understanding that there's only about 15% drivetrain loss. If that's correct for my ZF6, then it would seem you're overestimating my fwHP by about 100 ft/lbs.

Not that it matters...
Old 08-14-2011, 08:42 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
nice upgrade

C4's definitely have cooling issues.

that's why I installed a large oil cooler out back
I made another (short) trip today after topping off the radiator. On an 87-deg day, my oil temps were right about 190. My water temps from 195-203.

When I got home, I left it run with the A/C on. After 5 minutes, it was up to 214. Way better than before. With the old radiator, I wouldn't leave it running at idle.

Since temps are still rising though...an upgrade to the main fan probably wouldn't hurt.

Get notified of new replies

To Budget 2-row radiator comparison

Old 08-14-2011, 08:55 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

a good upgrade on the fan is the dewitts, alltho quite noisy it works well, you can also buy the fan adapter from them $25 , why reinvent the wheel?, and use it to install your own 16" 's' fan, they should convert to the "s" fan, imho, same cfm or better and very quiet. I bought and have both, mo better. hope this helps
Old 08-14-2011, 09:08 PM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice upgrade ! at some point i want to upgrade ,i was watching DeWitts page and caught my attention that the direct fit comes with a transcooler and there is no C4 rad without it
i want to avoid using the trans in series
Old 08-14-2011, 09:16 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

any info on aftermarket rads is good info. i personally need to do a rad next year when i start running it hard around a road course....

Quick Reply: Budget 2-row radiator comparison