C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Turn Signal Part help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 04:48 PM
chopperclay
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal Part help!

1993 LT1- Shortly after purchase of this car the right turn signal would not engage in the column. The Left signal works fine. I assumed it was the switch assy. I ordered the switch and upon removal of the steering wheel today I noticed that the switch appears to be working fine in the column. Then I noticed a small broken metal part (a small U-channel-top half of which is broken- that the Multi-Function Lever engages in order to move the signal arm that is attached to the Turn Signal Switch in the column. I cannot find a nomenclature for this part in the Service manual and guess that I'll to visit a dealer to see if they can ID this part. If anyone knows the part I'm trying to describe, please let me know. Or if there is an online parts schematic that might show this, please advise. Thanks a bunch.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:08 PM
The Green Hornet
Melting Slicks

Location: Everyone needs something to believe in, I believe I'll have another beer. Wisconsin
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

It's called a multi-function wiper switch. Igot mine at artscorvetteparts.com Good luck in finding one. not the most fun to put in.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:17 PM
The Green Hornet
Melting Slicks

Location: Everyone needs something to believe in, I believe I'll have another beer. Wisconsin

On second thought it may have been ecklers where i got that switch. It's been 2years since I replaced it.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:20 PM
chopperclay
Advanced

Thanks, I just tried reassembling the steering column and now I have a wobbly steering wheel. Any idea what it could be?
Old 09-06-2011, 07:26 PM
The Green Hornet
Melting Slicks

Sorry, no idea about your wobbly steering wheel. Was it ok before?
Old 09-06-2011, 08:22 PM
chopperclay
Advanced

I never really noticed any wobble in the steering wheel before but it may have some looseness (the wobble is side to side, more than up/down). I'm wondering if a pivot pin or something else may have come loose while I was fiddling with it. I may reasemble it and drive it and see. Thanks!
Old 09-06-2011, 08:50 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Here's I believe a pretty good image of the upper column!

http://www.compnine.com/index.php?u=...06&grouptype=B

The turn signal actuator is #11
Old 09-06-2011, 09:09 PM
chopperclay
Advanced

Thanks for the diagram. I just checked it and I'm convinced something isn't right, way too much side to side play. It has to be at the centering sphere joint about 3-4 inches forward of the wheel, you can see it on the diagram . I hate the thought of digging deeper into the column but its gonna have to be fixed and I screwed it up! Thanks again, I'll keep working on it!
Old 09-06-2011, 09:20 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Here try this:

http://domesticmisfits.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=124

Check #27!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 09-06-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:19 AM
chopperclay
Advanced

WVZR-1, I can't tell you how much I appreciate that link. I tossed and turned all night worrying about this only to wake up and find your link. That is excellent and is my column exactly. I'll get back on it shortly and will let you know how it goes. I don't have a pivot pin removal tool but will see if possibly a punch will work. Cheers to you and many thanks!
Old 09-08-2011, 10:46 AM
chopperclay
Advanced

I have the mid colum dissasembled and see that a pivot pin puller is required. I can see the spherical joint in the column shaft looks wobbly. The pivot pins seem to be OK, I can't see how they would be the cause of the wobble. Wow, I just looked at it again and it looks like the outer race of the bearing around the shaft backed off and loosened the steering shaft up and gave it that wobble. I'm going to try and get it back together and see. My rt blinker not be fixable until I get the needed part but at least I can get it rolling again. I jsut discovered that the high beam control lever is broken. I think I'll need to start on a new post on the buildup of this column, it's tricky!
Old 09-08-2011, 11:02 AM
chopperclay
Advanced

I'm trying to figure out the seating of the High Beam control lever and just how it fits. ANybody?
Old 09-08-2011, 11:58 AM
chopperclay
Advanced

Disregard that High Beam _ I figured that one out. Going back together, I think the bearing was loose and maybe I had the outer race on backwards. Seems to be what the problem was.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:02 PM
chopperclay
Advanced

Whew!! This was tough. Got it all back together except for the airbag. What a learning experience this was. Could not have done it without your help guys. Let's hope we never go back into a GM Saginaw column again...
Old 09-08-2011, 04:54 PM
The Green Hornet
Melting Slicks

Yea, that little cam piece for the high beams was a pain for me to. Iput a glob of grease on it to keep it in place until I got that cover piece on that locks it in. Glad things ar comming together for you.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:21 PM
chopperclay
Advanced

yea Buddy, Cheers to you! I'm celebrating now big time. I realized the wobble was from the bearing down in there around the shaft. I didn't have it in very good when I reassembled it, and may have had the outer race backwards. Anyway, She is Rolling Again and the steering wheel is firm and tight with no wobble, feels factory new. I took my dremel and routed out a spot so I can reach the blinker lever until I can find that stupid little part. Thanks so Much for the help, I could not have done it otherwise and would have given up on it. Are you getting ready for the Green Bay/Saints game like me. I'm a Saints fan but don't hold it against me, I always like Green Bay. May the Best team win! Steaks and Cocktails down here! Cheers Green Hornet!
Old 09-08-2011, 07:16 PM
The Green Hornet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by chopperclay
yea Buddy, Cheers to you! I'm celebrating now big time. I realized the wobble was from the bearing down in there around the shaft. I didn't have it in very good when I reassembled it, and may have had the outer race backwards. Anyway, She is Rolling Again and the steering wheel is firm and tight with no wobble, feels factory new. I took my dremel and routed out a spot so I can reach the blinker lever until I can find that stupid little part. Thanks so Much for the help, I could not have done it otherwise and would have given up on it. Are you getting ready for the Green Bay/Saints game like me. I'm a Saints fan but don't hold it against me, I always like Green Bay. May the Best team win! Steaks and Cocktails down here! Cheers Green Hornet!
Ecklers has that pivot switch you need, i searched for 93 wiper switch,$189.00 but what ya do, you need it. 1hr. 15min. till game time,GO Pack GO.

Get notified of new replies

To Turn Signal Part help!

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Part help!