C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Locking lug nuts-no socket!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 04:32 PM
fcable
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Locking lug nuts-no socket!

I recently purchased a used C4--a project car in need of a lot of TLC. One of the wheels has a factory style locking lug nut (not necessarily the one that came with the vehicle). And, as you would guess--no socket for it! Also, my guess is that one of the rear wheels had one too, and they had to get the wheel off for some reason. So they just took the old cutting torch and cut it off in the wheel! (Ouch!). Anybody got any suggestions as to how to get this other one off in a "Corvette friendly way"? Thanks.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:36 PM
robtx
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look on youtube about removing key lug nuts
Old 09-26-2011, 06:34 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Most tire shops have ways to remove locking lug nuts if no key is available. Usually involves a BFH and strong arms.

If you decide to keep using locking lugs and will buy another set, get a spare key and keep it at home.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:40 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Find the approx size impact socket thats 12 pt. and pound it on with a BFH and remove as usual.

In the future, get some Gorilla Locks. They are coded and have a code number assigned to each set. That is on a sticker that you keep in the glove box or console lid. If you ever loose your key, call Gorilla with that number and they will send you a new key.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:49 PM
c4speed
Pro

One of mine was messed up,got it off and done away with the other three.It is not a DD and I keep it in a garage.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:54 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I sometimes use a small cold chisel and gently cut into the edge of the lock counter clockwise, takes a nice hefty hammer but they usually start moving after a few taps. they're usually only installed hand tite.hope this helps
Old 09-27-2011, 12:06 PM
skybolt31
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by c4speed
One of mine was messed up,got it off and done away with the other three.It is not a DD and I keep it in a garage.
I removed mine as well. I understand some people have to leave there car where it is at risk and the locks area good idea, but consider this, how many people with wheel locks keep the key somewhere outside of the car? When I had the locks, I left the key in the console. Unless the thief is new on the job, when he spots the locks, he will then break the window and get the key out of the console.

So I figure used sawblades aren't that hot an item anyway and I go without the locks.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:29 PM
montecarlo4
Instructor

i was able to tighten the other 4 just a smidge more than use vice grips on the locking nut to get it off, worked rather easily.
good luck
matt
Old 10-03-2011, 10:27 PM
fcable
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Locking lug nuts, no socket

I appreciate all the responses. I found a tool--Performance Tool #M980, Lug Nut Removal Tool. Cost about $11 + shipping from BarMac. I worked great using an impact tool, and you don't have beat on the wheel spindle with a big hammer. Thanks again to all who assisted.

Get notified of new replies

To Locking lug nuts-no socket!

Quick Reply: Locking lug nuts-no socket!