C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Stereo wiring

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 07:33 AM
Dagge
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stereo wiring

I have a 1991 coupe and I wonder if anybody can lead me to a wiring diagram for the stereo setup.
I have been googling the internet and searched this forum without finding anything that looks like the head unit connectors in my car.
All diagrams I have found mentions a yellow wire (ignition +) but as you can see I don't have any yellow wire. So obviously I haven't found the right diagram yet.
I do know how to use a volt meter but I'm not just interested in finding constant and switched 12V+, I want as much information about the audio wiring as possible and explantion to the different wires.

Have anyone tried to ditch the standard head unit and then connected the low level (RCA) from an aftermarket head unit to the amps in the standard Bose speakers?

Cheers

Dag

Last edited by Dagge; 09-30-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:46 AM
navy_vette
Burning Brakes

1991 Chevrolet Corvette Car Audio Wiring Diagram

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Gray
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Gray/Black
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: Pink
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: 4″ x 6″ Speakers
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: Kick Panels
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Tan
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: 6″ x 9″ Speakers
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: Rear Sides
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue

This is what I found. Get a multimeter and confirm the power and accessory power before you start cutting.

You also have this option....
Old 09-30-2011, 08:55 AM
Dagge
Advanced

Brett,

Thanks for answering!

I have found that exact wiring earlier but it doesn't apply to my car. As you can see in my photo I don't have any yellow wire, no dark blue, no brown...etc.
I guess perhaps that wiring applies to the aftermarket connector in your link...

Looking at the Crutchfield connector you can see 13 different wires. There are 14 in my car. If I compare my connectors with the Crutchfield connector, I don't see that it will fit.
Looking at the shape of the left connector in my photo I would say that it would possibly go into the lower left hole in the Crutchfield connector. But the other connector in my photo is wider so where would that one go then? The Crutchfield picture is perhaps just a sample image.

Cheers

Dag
Old 09-30-2011, 09:04 AM
navy_vette
Burning Brakes

It's probably a stock picture. The reviews look legit and they are all positive.

Not sure why your wiring is different. The connectors will be the same because otherwise the original never would have worked. I may be because your harness was made by "Steve" instead of by "Bob". Who knows.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:14 AM
Dagge
Advanced

Haha! You mean Bob and Steve at BG? No, I don't think they made different wiring looms.
I will post some pictures of my head unit right away and then also of the connectors when I get home.

Cheers

Dag

Edit
Pictures are here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/album.php?u=390251

Last edited by Dagge; 09-30-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:56 AM
navy_vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dagge
Haha! You mean Bob and Steve at BG? No, I don't think they made different wiring looms.
I will post some pictures of my head unit right away and then also of the connectors when I get home.

Cheers

Dag

Edit
Pictures are here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/album.php?u=390251

Wow, now that is just bad luck that I had to pick Bob and Steve who work at a company that distributes automotive parts.....

No, I was just talking about 2 different random people who work at GM. No reference to anyone at all......

Interesting website though....

*edit*
BTW... What are you doing to the stereo?!?! Just curious?

And when you do install the stereo, you'll have to connect the crutchfield harness to the custom stereo harness. Please don't be a "butt-splicing" guy. Use the soldering iron

Crutchfield also has a bracket for an aftermarket stereo to go in a C4 corvette.

Here is my install. Your lucky. I had to start from scratch. Running new power and acc power as well as the speaker wires. Going to finish the front this weekend when I get the carpet on the door sills done.

Last edited by navy_vette; 09-30-2011 at 10:03 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Stereo wiring

Quick Reply: Stereo wiring