C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84 C4 instrument cluster removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Sceptre
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 C4 instrument cluster removal

I'm having quite a bit of trouble removing my instrument cluster, I have it most of the way out already, I just can't seem to disconnect the wires. Ive removed the clips from the front sides of the wires, but i can't get them from the back. Anyone have any experience with these, hopefully with a picture or video reference? I understand that I need to remove the clips, I just can't seem to do it without a lot of force. (Im on a budget already, and i don't need to break anything that I dont have to)
Old 10-03-2011, 05:06 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Those connectors can be a real PITA for sure. As I recall there are a couple of silver clips on both connectors. After they have popped loose you should be able to carefully use a flat blade screwdriver to carefully separate the connectors. After 27 years there is gonna be some resistance to them. Its tight quarters as well but try to wiggle the connector back and forth while trying to separate them.

Good luck!
Old 10-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Sceptre
3rd Gear

Thanks man. Pictures anyone?
Old 05-15-2013, 12:33 PM
davenbocafl
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would love some, I have to do mine this weekend
Old 05-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Old 05-15-2013, 08:12 PM
golfnstuff
Advanced

Excellent pictures. Wish I had them the first time I pulled my cluster. A flashlight and mirror give you a good idea what you're dealing with and then its mostly done by feel and a very thin blade screw driver. As many times as I've done it, its not so bad anymore but the first time is a real pain. The clips you removed from the front (blue), probably should have stayed in place. I think you removed the harness wire comb, if I'm calling it by the correct name. I did the same (actually broke it) the first time.

Get notified of new replies

To 84 C4 instrument cluster removal

Quick Reply: 84 C4 instrument cluster removal