C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

94 vette 55 mph vibration fixed

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 01:51 PM
marcwb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 vette 55 mph vibration fixed

after noticing one of the back wheels radial (up and down) movement in the air and recalling no movement on that same wheel on the balancer, i then checked the hub diameter on the wheel compared to the hub center diameter on the wheel bearing and saw there was a gap. I then sought out some center mount wheel adapters. i put them on and had an immediate difference. no vibration at all. before my vibration was from 55 on, now the car runs vibration free at all mid to high speeds. the problem was that the previous owner didnt have the adapters on the car-mustve been lost in other tire services before selling me the car. i am blessed to be a mechanic because if i had to pay mechanics to fix the problems i had with this car, i wouldnt be able to afford it. so anyone else with aftermarket wheels and having a hard to find vibration, first check to see if you have hub center adapters.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:47 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

amen , sometime they are called 'hub centric', adaptors also
Old 10-25-2011, 04:18 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by marcwb
. so anyone else with aftermarket wheels and having a hard to find vibration, first check to see if you have hub center adapters.
What exacty are we looking for/ measuring? Pictures? What type of tire wear would you expect to see?

Thanks!

Last edited by rickneworleansla; 10-25-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:42 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Yep..

the typical or standard wheel adaptor is bored with plenty of room for a hubs center ring to fit thru it. This makes the adaptors fit and balance 100% dependent on how well the lugs fit in the wheel and how well the wheels fits against the hub...It does not always work. This leaves the adaptor free to float around a couple mm in any direction on the hub. Not acceptable.
The "Hub-Centric" adaptors are bored to fit the hub exactly and have a centering ring that guides the adaptor to hub center and holds it there. It can;t get thrown off center no matter what.
Hub-Centrics cost about $20 more for each unit for the extra machine work but there is no question in my mind that they are worth every dime of a $80 price for each one. Thats for good ones...You can ID 'centrics' by the raised ring around the center hole. The standard adaptor is just a hole.
The standard adaptor can be found for $30 ea for minimal spacer and common lugs. If its a wheel....spend the money on nice parts that won;t make you crazy.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:37 PM
dan_t
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess the OP has non factory wheels?
Old 10-25-2011, 09:46 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

or later year
Old 10-25-2011, 10:00 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

so anyone else with aftermarket wheels and having a hard to find vibration, first check to see if you have hub center adapters.
Not all aftermarket wheels have this problem.

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
amen , sometime they are called 'hub centric', adaptors also

Originally Posted by dan_t
I guess the OP has non factory wheels?
Yes, and they obviously were not made specifically for the '94 Corvette.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Donne Trav
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after noticing one of the back wheels radial (up and down) movement in the air and recalling no movement on that same wheel on the balancer, i then checked the hub diameter on the wheel compared to the hub center diameter on the wheel bearing and saw there was a gap. I then sought out some center mount wheel adapters. i put them on and had an immediate difference. no vibration at all. before my vibration was from 55 on, now the car runs vibration free at all mid to high speeds. the problem was that the previous owner didnt have the adapters on the car-mustve been lost in other tire services before selling me the car. i am blessed to be a mechanic because if i had to pay mechanics to fix the problems i had with this car, i wouldnt be able to afford it. so anyone else with aftermarket wheels and having a hard to find vibration, first check to see if you have hub center adapters.
Are "wheel spacers/center mount wheel adapters" and "hub centric adapters" the same thing? Thanks
Old 10-26-2011, 09:13 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

wheel spacers are just circular plates that mount in between wheel and hub using the oe lug bolts, usually needing longer lug bolts installed so you have enough threads for the lug nuts, Center mount adaptors and hub centric adaptors are plates that bolt to your hubs and then your wheel bolts to them, they have a raised , machined to the same size as the inside of the wheel, lip , that centers the wheel on the hub and eliminates, movement. for my money , the only way to safely do it, hope this helps

Last edited by oldalaskaman; 10-26-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:03 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What type of wear pattern would you expect to see on a tire with a rim that was not fitted correctly? I have center only wear that is not from over inflation and I do not belive from excessive burnouts. I also have vibration around 50-70mph. My rims are OE concept ZR1 chrome rims. They are supposed to be exact for my model but now I am wondering. I've had several road force balances done and even tried swapping a couple of the rims out with another new one I bought. I am going to pull the rim off and measure.

I found these wheel hub centric rings. Is this aka hub centric adaptors or something completely different?

Get notified of new replies

To 94 vette 55 mph vibration fixed

Quick Reply: 94 vette 55 mph vibration fixed