C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

automatic shift problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 07:22 PM
avcollieriii
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default automatic shift problem

I have a 1995 coupe with an automatic transmission. Lately it has become impossible to shift from park into any gear until the engine warms up. The push button on top of the shifter sticks and I can't move it until the car runs for 10 minutes or more. Has anyone had a similar problem or knows what the problem is and how to fix it?
Old 10-27-2011, 07:34 PM
1986coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How the the fluid level?
Old 10-27-2011, 07:40 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is actually the shift/brake interlock solenoid going bad. The solenoid is under the indicator panel in the center console. There are no longer any replacement solenoids available so simply remove it. Everything will work as usual except you won't have to hold the foot brake in order to depress the button and shift out of park. Both ends of the solenoid are push ons and simple pop off with a screwdriver.

It looks like this -
The following users liked this post:
Jackie O (08-12-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 09:11 PM
Jackie O
Advanced

Default Responding I have an automatic 1995 gear shift sticks in park

It sticks in park and also cannot get it into 1st or 2nd either. Needless to say I dont drive too many hills around town. I had it looked at transmission fluid changed not too long ago and a mechanic checked the linkage and said it was ok. So any ideas? I pray to God its NOT the transmission seems to shift ok in other gears sometimes a little hard but rarely usually only if I take my foot off the gas abruptly so for obvious reasons I try not to do that. Thanks for any responses.

Originally Posted by aminnich
That is actually the shift/brake interlock solenoid going bad. The solenoid is under the indicator panel in the center console. There are no longer any replacement solenoids available so simply remove it. Everything will work as usual except you won't have to hold the foot brake in order to depress the button and shift out of park. Both ends of the solenoid are push ons and simple pop off with a screwdriver.

It looks like this -
Old 08-12-2016, 10:57 PM
Jackie O
Advanced

Default Really something that easy? No cant be.

Originally Posted by Jackie O
It sticks in park and also cannot get it into 1st or 2nd either. Needless to say I dont drive too many hills around town. I had it looked at transmission fluid changed not too long ago and a mechanic checked the linkage and said it was ok. So any ideas? I pray to God its NOT the transmission seems to shift ok in other gears sometimes a little hard but rarely usually only if I take my foot off the gas abruptly so for obvious reasons I try not to do that. Thanks for any responses.
Could it really be that easy on the Vette not a lot is that easy on her. Wow that would be nice to finally have it go into gear again if that is also what you are saying or is that just related to it sticking in park? The fluid level is fine according to the mechanic but he typically does not work on Vettes but he is honest.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:59 PM
Jackie O
Advanced

Default Fluid levels good

Originally Posted by 1986coupe
How the the fluid level?
Thanks for responding.

Get notified of new replies

To automatic shift problem

Quick Reply: automatic shift problem