C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84 headlight motor trouble shooting-help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 11:20 AM
glava2876
Burning Brakes

Received 275 Likes on 146 Posts

Default 84 headlight motor trouble shooting-help!

I'm confussed, so I'm going to start over with a headlight motor problem on my 1984.
My original problem was with the original headlight motor.
-it went down, but kept running and grinding when I shut the switch off.
-it goes up fine and works perfect up.
-I was told that this is most often the limit switch, which is internal to the motor assembly and that I would have to replace the motor.
-I replaced the motor with a "new" one purchased on Ebay and it worked perfect for 3 weeks.
-now it does the same thing that my original headlight motor was doing; it goes up and works perfect, but when I turn off the headlights it goes down, but still tries to keep closing and ginding.

Can anyone that had the same problem tell me what this could be -it seems wierd that the replacement worked fine, but now has the same problem.
Is the limit switch internal and the only electrical control that shuts the motor off when it closes?
Is it possible that this is the same gear problem in two different headlight motors?
Thanks,
Glen
Old 11-16-2011, 01:09 PM
glava2876
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by glava2876
Is it possible that this is the same gear problem in two different headlight motors?
Thanks,
Glen
I took my original headlight motor appart and it has a bad spot on the large gear. I ordered a new one to replace it.
If this works fine when I put it back in, I'll take the one I bought appart to see how the gears look in that one -if they are worn the same it couldn't have been new or it was a crap aftermarket replacement.
I've been real lucky, in all the years I have bought on Ebay for my cars, motorcycles & snowmobiles, this is the first problem.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:50 PM
glava2876
Burning Brakes

Default learning experience

Originally Posted by glava2876
If this works fine when I put it back in, I'll take the one I bought appart to see how the gears look in that one -if they are worn the same it couldn't have been new or it was a crap aftermarket replacement.
Installed the new gear from Corvette Central in the old headlight motor and it works perfect... the "NEW" one that I bought must have been a real poor aftermarket unit that I got from someone that didn't really indicate it.

Get notified of new replies

To 84 headlight motor trouble shooting-help!

Quick Reply: 84 headlight motor trouble shooting-help!