C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

BEST Radiator- GRIFFIN vs. RON DAVIS???

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 06:51 PM
luvmy92
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: BEST Radiator- GRIFFIN vs. RON DAVIS??? (91mongoose)

I ran this car many times at Summit Point prior to putting in the radiator. It would reach 235 degrees on some hot days (Oil temp would get as high as 290 some days). Unfortunately, I haven't had it on the track since the install. Am in agreement with you however...

Mike
Old 08-21-2018, 03:10 PM
Jason Armando
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrading 96 vette radiator

Originally Posted by 91mongoose
I put the ron davis nascar style radiator (NOT the direct fit) into my ZR-1. The were selling the direct fit for ~$600 and I got the nascar radiator for $219. (www.rondavisradiators.com). Order the no-filler neck option. You will need to by a 1/4 NTP to 3/8 hose fitting from your local parts house for your over flow hose. I had to trim the shroud a little for the upper radiator neck and for thickness. Your upper engine to lower radiator hose will need to be a little longer as well (2" or so, get some pipe and spice it or find another hose at the parts store, maybe off of a newer pickup).

The other day playing in the twisties (25+ miles at 120-150+) I never got over 180. I'm going to the track this weekend (the real reason I got the radiator), I'll know then whether or not it was worth it, but doing that twisty run with my old be-cool unit would've had me at 215 or higher.

Bottom line - 1 custom hose will save you $400+.

[Modified by 91mongoose, 1:05 PM 5/9/2002]
I looked up the 1S-28193 now 16 years later it costs $315 which is still great price. You list your car was the ZR-1 but I am not sure what year. I have a 96 coupe AT, will this work for me? I am thinking yes but wanted to verify. Pardon my ignorance but waht is 1/4 NTP stand for? I assume it is a slight increase in diameter size to fit 3/8 overflow hose. What is the diameter size of the upper engine to lower radiator hose that needs to be 2" longer.

It would really be nice to use this same radiator as perusing through the forums, your temperature averages are quite favorable. I have a clogged system and my car overheats in about 5min. water pump, thermostat (got 160deg), radiator fill reservoir, optispark (got all wet during initial draining) were all changed out because the system was oxidized due to wrong coolant. I am hoping not to change out the heater core but would love a product to clean out that section of the system as well. Heater core still works as no issues changing temp on the dash.

If anyone has any suggestions on what else may be causing the overheating, it would be very much appreciated. Since radiator is so gunked up, is there an alternative location to drain antifreeze away from optispark? new optispark is OEM and not MSD so it is not water resistant. I would hate to have to change that again. Drain plug on radiator barely trickles out at full open and system is full of coolant...

Quick Reply: BEST Radiator- GRIFFIN vs. RON DAVIS???