C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Air Cleaner fab for Speed Density pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 08:40 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

My plan is to try and use the front half of a 90-93 filter housing and mate it to the 85-89 housing, if I can make it work, I'll post pics and dimensions etc.

If I have to fab and weld a box with a 90-93 inlet connection and a 85-89 filter half, I'll make a couple if we all agree on what looks good etc. Either way, using the 90-93 snorkel/coupler (like in the pics above) looks to be a good option.

This could take a while for me to design and mock up and then get material and get it all cut and ready to heli-arc, so I don't have an immediate solution.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Dr.Huxtable
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well you can count on my support and any help i can provide. i'd love to be able to help produce something that all could use.

So the 90+ air cleaner housing is more angled out than our current one. What are your thoughts on mounting it? When you say use the front part of the housing are you talking about cutting the back half of it off getting rid of the front and then molding that back of this style to the front of ours? Like this? pardon my demented drawing.Or maybe i'm missing that your thought

(There's supposed to be an X on the front half)

Old 01-06-2012, 09:07 PM
LD85
Race Director

Yep, I dont know where one housing starts and ends, but the 90-93 front inlet half can go back until the bend begins and then it would likely be cut there, then I'd look to see how much of the 85-89 front round hole end gets cut off

If it matches up reasonably well, I'm certain I can get the two to be attached and blend in nicely, I need to get a housing in my hands and then I'll know what to do next

Probably mount using a couple of 90-degree tabs

Last edited by LD85; 01-06-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:44 PM
VanSpeed
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

I went through the same process several years back when I put in my new engine and switched over to a speed density set up. I could not find any way that I could fab up a late C4 air cleaner box to fit in the early c4, mine is also an 85. So you can see what I made in the picture below. I went with a rectangular shaped air bridge because it was easier to fab and weld for me. Good luck with your project.

Brian

Old 01-06-2012, 09:56 PM
LD85
Race Director

Originally Posted by VanSpeed
I went through the same process several years back when I put in my new engine and switched over to a speed density set up. I could not find any way that I could fab up a late C4 air cleaner box to fit in the early c4, mine is also an 85. So you can see what I made in the picture below. I went with a rectangular shaped air bridge because it was easier to fab and weld for me. Good luck with your project.

Brian
Looks nice and simple,
Old 01-06-2012, 10:08 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,789 Likes on 953 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Dr.Huxtable
Dangit! Do you have a second one?? Lol I need one too
Sorry buddy, thats my only one.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:37 AM
Dr.Huxtable
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VanSpeed

Brian

Wow that's a very cool setup! Thanks for the pic. Is that the filter from the c5's?

Originally Posted by Kubs
Sorry buddy, thats my only one.
No prob man thanks anyway
Old 01-07-2012, 12:38 AM
BV85
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

LD85 I like the idea of combining the two air-housing to match the MAF on the 85. I'll be looking out for your finished product. TIA
Old 01-07-2012, 03:01 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by LD85
Can someone measure the length of the snorkel/coupler tube from the Throttle body end to the opposite end for me please?
13 1/2"
Don't have radiator in car so can't give you in-place dimension
but reasonable to assume close to fitted length, you have to compress the accordion to remove it
Old 01-07-2012, 09:29 AM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I think at one time there was a company that sold an air filter housing that was the same size as stock but the filter opening was on bottom and you would have to cut your radiator shroud so it could take in the air. Are these still available anywhere?
Old 01-07-2012, 11:17 AM
VanSpeed
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

[QUOTE=Dr.Huxtable;1579667585]Wow that's a very cool setup! Thanks for the pic. Is that the filter from the c5's?

The air filter is the filter from a K&N FIBK for a 4th gen Camaro. The part number is RF-1050. I tried a C5 filter and it was to big to fit in the space.

Brian
Old 01-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Dr.Huxtable
Burning Brakes

TPIS used to have one but I don't think they offer it anymore. And it was only for the lean back radiator style. I'd love to have one of those. Gives you a little bit of a ram air style too.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:58 PM
LD85
Race Director

Originally Posted by rodj
13 1/2"
Don't have radiator in car so can't give you in-place dimension
but reasonable to assume close to fitted length, you have to compress the accordion to remove it

Thanks rodj! That dimension extends the coupler up to the area above the radiator and over the opening on the 85-89 housing,,

so I know of one way already to connect the 90-93 coupler to the 85-89 housing but I want to get a coupler in my hands to see how it would look.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:08 PM
LD85
Race Director

Found this on the search engine

Old 01-08-2012, 05:30 AM
tunedport85inject
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i was thinking about a forced air inlet for a C4 hood,something like a ws6 TA,i've done some 3d previsual using 3dmax (a CAD aplication used in buildng rendering,games ,cinema fx)now looking at this air box i'm thinkin again it is possible...it require a fiber fab inlet duct in your hood,a lot of skill fiber glass guys here,this is coupled with a box under the hood,when you close the hood it push on a perimeter rubber waterstrip in the box...it was planned for a maf car,but using a sd it is simple and clean,specialy using a metal box like this
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
click on this picture to see a 3d video
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-08-2012, 02:13 PM
LD85
Race Director

Anybody know the size of the Rubber Coupler that fits over the 58MM throttle body?
Old 01-10-2012, 07:23 PM
LD85
Race Director

Well, I have zero hope of a simple solution with regard to cutting or splicing two model years of housing.

I received Kubs' 1990 housing today and did some mock ups, wow what a tight space,,, the limited space between the hood and the radiator eliminates the possibility of anything less than a custom welded housing.

I don't have time for that right now so this will go to the back shelf until I get some time.

Get notified of new replies

To Air Cleaner fab for Speed Density pics

Old 01-11-2012, 05:27 AM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For OEM versions I like the stock 92 hard plastic style one the best.
I would have thought you could have got the accordian one to work with little modification.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Dr.Huxtable
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LD85
Well, I have zero hope of a simple solution with regard to cutting or splicing two model years of housing.

I received Kubs' 1990 housing today and did some mock ups, wow what a tight space,,, the limited space between the hood and the radiator eliminates the possibility of anything less than a custom welded housing.

I don't have time for that right now so this will go to the back shelf until I get some time.
Man that sucks I was looking into swapping out the 90+ radiator shroud and all that but have since given up on that as well. Can't find anything less than 300+shipping for the whole setup. Just not worth the $$

I'll end up welding a custom box here as well. For the meantime and tuning purposes I'm just gonna shove a filter on the end of my TB. and worry about it later. To much else going on right now.

Hey LD, if possible when you have some time, could i talk with you over the phone about the fast install? esp the wiring aspect. I'd love to pick your brain because I'm about to dive head first into what you just did in a few weeks. Thanks! Caleb
Old 01-11-2012, 12:03 PM
LD85
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dr.Huxtable
I'm just gonna shove a filter on the end of my TB. and worry about it later. To much else going on right now.

Hey LD, if possible when you have some time, could i talk with you over the phone about the fast install? esp the wiring aspect. I'd love to pick your brain because I'm about to dive head first into what you just did in a few weeks. Thanks! Caleb

I am going to buy a piece of aluminum tube and machine it to look like the ID/OD of the MAF sensor. I ordered a piece of 6061 with 3" ID and 3.25" OD, I will machine the collar on the OD so the clamps work on the filter housing and the accordion will slip on just like factory. The MAF is 2.868" ID so going to 3.0" will open it up a fuzz.

Unless that is a restriction, it should be fine using a tube, but I will know when we get to tuning if Air flow is being compromised by the 1985 air filter accordion, tube and filter housing combo.

Re FAST, sure, will PM you

Last edited by LD85; 01-11-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Air Cleaner fab for Speed Density pics