C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1991 Poor Gas Mileage after Injector Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 08:30 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
I think this is worth verifying. My stock FPR shows 34PSI (but with a larger injector). OTOH, I believe many have reported pressures in the low-mid 30's -- while the motor is running. This means a jump to 40PSI could send in significantly more fuel!

Pressure while the engine is running will be lower than in the "on" position.

One thing I forgot to mention is than an AFPR can not operate as low as stock pressure. There was a thread on this a few years back. It has to do with the "slug" inside the regulator. By design, that slug raises pressure above stock. So, you're starting higher than normal.

This could be alot of the difference.
NOT necessarily !

as fuel pressure is increased the o2 and other sensors can interperit this and reduce the pulse width. Vice versa as well...if the o2 sees a rich exhaust it will reduce the pulse.
This is a portion of your problem.

Turn up the FP to 38-40, install a new o2 sensor, (old one is fried by now) and try again. Most of the inj operation is governed by the o2 sensor. Keep that healthy and the fuel system stays happy

The cat is also unhappy and if you have upstream and downstream sensors the cats getting burned out or is burned and damaged due to the excess fuel in the exhaust that causes it to overheat and melt the substrate and clog and die. A sensor after that will deliver bad data to the ecm and ruin the inj pulse.

There are some other clues here...
Think this thru...
If the key ON FP is 40, and the eng idling drops it to low 30s....thats an indication that the injectors are using that fuel and delivering. As the eng runs it takes part of that pressure thats seen on the gauge. It gets replaced IF the fuel pump is in good shape and able to keep up. This is the reason that we like better pumps so there is no lag behind what fuel is used and what the pump can resupply.

If the idle FP does NOT lower by more than 3 psi from key ON....then thats more normal and it says that the FP is keeping up, and the problem is more likely a pulse width/duration issue and not the actual inj size.

EFI fuel systems are like dominos...if any single componant fails or is not in spec, the entire system has to compensate and the calibration gets tossed out the window.
I suspect this is going to be about o2 sensors or fuel pump/regulator.
Has the reg been tested manually by removing the vac line while running and plugging it with gauge attached? Any gas smell in the vac line? Any gas smell In the eng OIL?
Has the harness been checked for a short or crossover firing that WILL make the injectors stay on longer than the pulse thats sent?

Last edited by leesvet; 01-25-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:35 PM
Gear Jammer
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 91 that needs attention, so I'll throw my hat in the ring too!!
Old 01-27-2012, 07:49 PM
vette 15x
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default injectors

Are all not the same.Best injectors emissions and mpg ive seen are delfi or rodchester disc injectors.Pintle are ok for performance accell or boche but suck at emissions idle come off rich.And their right some reprogaming may be ness. with boche inj.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:07 PM
vette 15x
Advanced

Default injectors

Are all not the same.Best injectors emissions and mpg ive seen are delfi or rodchester disc injectors.Pintle are ok for performance accell or boche but suck at emissions idle come off rich.And their right some reprogaming may be ness. with boche inj.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Fredbird
Instructor

Let me make reiterate a few things... Fuel pressure regulator diaphragm was replaced with a new BED from Oreilley because it had previously been leaking. EGR valve was replaced because I WAS getting a code (not anymore). Plugs and wires are new. Cap and Rotor are also new. MAT sensor was replaced because I WAS previously getting a code on it as well.

Replaced the thermistat to 180 because I live in San Antonio and it gets really Hot down here. I have had a couple people blame the bad mileage in the thermistat. However I am not sure that that's accurate. My engine still gets above 195 and even at that temp is getting bad gas mileage. Also, I was getting better gas mileage when the engine was cold as well before the change.

No fuel leaks, no fuel in the intake, no fuel in the oil.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:38 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by FICINJECTORS
To keep you updated on what we are doing, We have been monitoring our customers for several years, some have no problems, some do. Lets face it. The stock injector is the only one that will work 100% in the cars. We also know they are failing. The alternative is to find an injector that is affordable and easy to install. 5 yrs ago we did. Now we are stepping into another phase of technology. We are now able to fully characterize injectors. Knowing exactly how the injector flows based on PW instead of static, wide open flow. What we have done for the past year is develop a new concept on how we flow injectors. We now have software to determine the flow for PW’s from .5 to 10ms based on any voltage input and pressure. We use a PD flow meter (positive displacement) instead of measuring tubes. The acquisition software can accurately measure these small flow numbers out to 3 sig figs! How we do this is complicated but, easy enough to understand. We flow the injector at lets say 12.8 volts. Set the computer to drive the injector for 200 pulses at 1.5ms. Divide the numbers and come up with the flow per pulse. This number is acquired by another computer. We continue to do this at different PW’s and after lets say 5 tests a X Y graph is drawn on the screen. We can now see where X and Y intersect to determine the theoretical dead time or offset. We then do this at other voltages for an accurate diagnoses of flow. So you say big deal!!! Now we can characterize injectors based on real flow as it performs in the engine. Furthermore, we decided to go one step further. We now have this data from a stock 1991 speed density OEM multec. Now that we know EXACTLY what it is. We can now copy it. We have and always been modifying the Bosch 3 injector to flow whatever we want. We make 30’s 36’s 42’s and 50 lb injector out of them. Of course these always require a tune. So, we have completed a few sets of modified injectors that mimic the 91 multec in per pulse flow. Now we need someone to test them in a real car. So volunteers please PM me. What this means is that we are trying to tune the injector to the computer that is already programmed instead of tuning the car to the injector. Remember, ALL aftermarket injectors will perform differently than stock. Tuning the computer to the new injector is satisfactory, however it is in the dark. Guessing on offsets and modifying VE tables is time consuming and quite frankly a pain in the ***. The masses just want a drop in and go. The guys that mod their cars need a tune regardless.
We have invested a ton of time and money into this project, if I can put it to use for the C4 crowd it would be great. All these tests have been done on a prototype flow bench. We are now in the final stages of completing the hardware etc. A pic is attached of the cabinet I have fabricated to house the internal pumps, pressure regulators, computers, flow meters, power supplys etc. As you can see it will be something that no one has. Software and operation has been verified so we are close. Once done we will characterize each year of the C4 and match up the replacements accordingly. We will also replace any existing set that is not working to the customer’s satisfaction.
I would like to ask Mick who happens to be a good tuner to call me and offer any of his expertise to this program.
Others that would like to participate in the testing I welcome you also.
Please don’t turn this thread into some ******** fight between the members. Our only goal is to find the right solution and continue our support of my favorite forum.
Thanks
Your new way is only new to you. OEMs have done this for over 2 decades and it is the reason for pulse with corrections vs. pulse width a table in any ECU sice the early 90's at least along with the battery comp tables. I harped on this a while back as a big need and the fact that staic flow is useless as they never run or should never run static so a meaningless number. It is nice to see you are stepping up your program to current standards for quality race injectors.
Dave

Last edited by H P Bushrod; 01-28-2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Don't go there.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:58 PM
ChipDrury
Cruising

Default Injector change and MPG drop

My '91 L-98 was running terribly. After I installed FIC Bosch 3 injectors, it ran great , but mileage dropped from around 25 to around 18 - 19 (instrument panel mpg, not calculated manually). This matches symptoms noted by others. I noticed fuel pressure also dropped quickly when the engine was shut off. I couldn't find a fuel leak, and thought, possibly an injector was not fully seating (probably stupid, as car ran fine, but I was grasping at straws, and I'm new at this). Jon sent me a new set of injectors (as noted, he is outstanding; knowledgeable and helpful). I haven't installed the new ones yet. I drive conservatively, so likely I'm usually in the range where the disparity between the OEM injectors and the Bosch 3s is largest. Valve covers, runners etc. are off again, ready to install new injectors. (In very few miles, the plenum built up a surprising amount of "varnish," if that helps diagnose the problem.) Reading this thread made me think I should explore a different injector. Is there a better alternative? Or how much trouble is it to retune for the Bosch 3s? Does anyone have any suggestions? I am a novice. I can have injectors installed in a day or two, since everything is off the engine now, ready to pull the fuel rail. Chip
Old 01-27-2012, 09:06 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

based on what I'm reading in this thread, and on fic site , the 'delphi' , that Fic also sells, is an exact replacement for the multecs,
I'm sure there will be other comments.
http://www.corvetteinjectors.com/sho...?productid=247
at least till things get sorted out

Last edited by oldalaskaman; 01-27-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:23 PM
FICINJECTORS
Supporting Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
Your new way is only new to you. OEMs have done this for over 2 decades and it is the reason for pulse with corrections vs. pulse width a table in any ECU sice the early 90's at least along with the battery comp tables. I harped on this a while back as a big need and the fact that staic flow is useless as they never run or should never run static so a meaningless number. It is nice to see you are stepping up your program to current standards for quality race injectors.
Dave
Dave, What we are trying to accomplish is new, I am well aware what the OEM engineers do, they get to select an injector for the demand of the engine they are building, program the ECU to that particular injector. We want to characterize the injector they selected and then modify another injector to flow the same. Not just static flow. We want to mimic the per pulse flow throughout the range of operation. In the non linear region of the injector offsets mean a lot, after that its flow per pulse since the VE table is controlling PW's. So, if we can duplicate the flow of the injector that the ECU is programmed for then the need for reprogramming is not needed. Now ask, why we are doing this? There is a need for an inexpensive solution for the failing multec. New oem injectors are selling for close to 160 each at the dealerships. The aftermarket injectors sold through Delphi and standard Motor Products are close but still not 100%. They are also expensive. We want to sell a set for under 200.00 and we will continue to pursue this goal until we succeed. There are tons of Ford (Bosch) injectors in use right now on corvettes and other GM cars sold by many different suppliers. We are just going one step further.Next week the first set should be in Randys 91. Im anxious for the results.

Last edited by H P Bushrod; 01-28-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:26 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I for one am gratefull for the members keeping this thread tech and not the finger pointing b.s that these usually wind up being, respectfully ,bob
Old 02-04-2012, 02:05 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by leesvet
There are some other clues here...
Think this thru...
If the key ON FP is 40, and the eng idling drops it to low 30s....thats an indication that the injectors are using that fuel and delivering. As the eng runs it takes part of that pressure thats seen on the gauge. It gets replaced IF the fuel pump is in good shape and able to keep up. This is the reason that we like better pumps so there is no lag behind what fuel is used and what the pump can resupply.

If the idle FP does NOT lower by more than 3 psi from key ON....then thats more normal and it says that the FP is keeping up, and the problem is more likely a pulse width/duration issue and not the actual inj size.
A fuel pressure regulator as used on a C4 keeps the pressure across the injector constant. If 43 lbs key on engine off then when running and have -6 psi in the manifold compared to atmospheric the pressure on the fuel rail will read 37 psi. The fuel pump only comes in to play if manifold presse is at atmospheric and rail pressure is less than key on engine off. 37+6=43.. nes pa??? Mis-information is worse than no information..sigh.. Thinking it through always a good idea so.. think it through.. Disconnect the manilfold pressure reference line from the fuel pressure regulator with the engine running and compare gauge pressure to the value with key on engine off...
Dave
Old 02-04-2012, 11:20 AM
vette 15x
Advanced

Default fuel pressure

MAX fuel pressure controlled by fuel pump.The regulator ,controls pressure at fuel rail.Spring pressure in regulator set static pressure.Dynamic or running pressure is controlled by a combination of manifold pressure and or on spring pressure.HIGH VAC. lowers fuel pressrue for economy and emissions.WIDE open throttle, spring pressure unefected by vac. set fuel pressure higher for performance.With vac. line off, pressure shouldn't drop at all.If any thing it might go up due to charging system volt.If pump is strong enough,pressure should not drop off ,even at high rpms.And I would not like normal running pressure below 38 to 40 psi,vac hose connected.I usually buy pumps for vortec engines and install adjustable regulators to set pressure where I like.
I think this is worth verifying. My stock FPR shows 34PSI (but with a larger injector). OTOH, I believe many have reported pressures in the low-mid 30's -- while the motor is running. This means a jump to 40PSI could send in significantly more fuel!

Pressure while the engine is running will be lower than in the "on" position.

One thing I forgot to mention is than an AFPR can not operate as low as stock pressure. There was a thread on this a few years back. It has to do with the "slug" inside the regulator. By design, that slug raises pressure above stock. So, you're starting higher than normal.

This could be alot of the difference.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:40 AM
vette 15x
Advanced

Default fuel injectors

YOU HAD THE BEST IDEA YET.Simple and sweat.Put injectors back in and see what happens.
Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
if I had a 91 , I'd be all over this
Old 02-04-2012, 12:57 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 401 Likes on 327 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by vette 15x
MAX fuel pressure controlled by fuel pump.The regulator ,controls pressure at fuel rail.Spring pressure in regulator set static pressure.Dynamic or running pressure is controlled by a combination of manifold pressure and or on spring pressure.HIGH VAC. lowers fuel pressrue for economy and emissions.WIDE open throttle, spring pressure unefected by vac. set fuel pressure higher for performance.With vac. line off, pressure shouldn't drop at all.If any thing it might go up due to charging system volt.If pump is strong enough,pressure should not drop off ,even at high rpms.And I would not like normal running pressure below 38 to 40 psi,vac hose connected.I usually buy pumps for vortec engines and install adjustable regulators to set pressure where I like.
You missed the point...which was to let the OP know his original FP likely went up with the installation of an AFPR. And, if higher, it would account for at least part of his difference.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Fredbird
Instructor

You missed the point...which was to let the OP know his original FP likely went up with the installation of an AFPR. And, if higher, it would account for at least part of his difference.

The Fuel Pressure Guage I bought from HF didn't fit my fuel rail so I've spoken with a friend of mine and he's got one that will fit so I can check it at that time and let you know the pressure.

As to the Fuel Pressure Regulator I replaced, it was listed as " OE Style; Fuel pressure regulator diaphragm kit" Manufactured by BWD. -So it should be the same pressure as the original when it was new.

Once I get the Fuel Pressure measured at the rail, I will report it here... Just haven't had time to do it yet.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:17 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by Fredbird
The Fuel Pressure Guage I bought from HF didn't fit my fuel rail so I've spoken with a friend of mine and he's got one that will fit so I can check it at that time and let you know the pressure.

As to the Fuel Pressure Regulator I replaced, it was listed as " OE Style; Fuel pressure regulator diaphragm kit" Manufactured by BWD. -So it should be the same pressure as the original when it was new.

Once I get the Fuel Pressure measured at the rail, I will report it here... Just haven't had time to do it yet.
If you know the FP before everything was swapped, that's a good test. If not, I would bet against the new AFPR being the same as stock. "OE style" only refers to appearance IMO.

If you don't know the before/after FP, consider running a poll to see how many people ended up with higher FP after installing an adjustable unit. I tried to explain the reason earlier in this thread. If I had pics, I'd show the reason. But, my camera wasn't working at the time of that discovery.

There was a thread about two years ago the clued me into the issue. If you saw an OEM unit disassembled then saw an AFPR, you'd understand my point.

Edit: This is probably the thread I am thinking of....
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...46psi-why.html

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 02-05-2012 at 02:35 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Fredbird
Instructor

If you know the FP before everything was swapped, that's a good test. If not, I would bet against the new AFPR being the same as stock. "OE style" only refers to appearance IMO.

If you don't know the before/after FP, consider running a poll to see how many people ended up with higher FP after installing an adjustable unit. I tried to explain the reason earlier in this thread. If I had pics, I'd show the reason. But, my camera wasn't working at the time of that discovery.

There was a thread about two years ago the clued me into the issue. If you saw an OEM unit disassembled then saw an AFPR, you'd understand my point.

Edit: This is probably the thread I am thinking of....
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...46psi-why.html
I dont' know the pressure before swapping out the diaphram. Since there were holes in the diaphram and it was sucking gas into my intake, it actually wouldnt' have been accurate anyway.

I will check it later this week at my friend's shop if possible. But remember, all I did was opened the original GM Fuel Pressure Regulator and replaced the diaphram. I did not change the whole regulator assembly. So it is not an adustable Fuel Pressure regulator.

When I opened up the original stock regulator and compared the diaphram, spring etc. they looked and felt identical. The only difference was: my original diaphram had holes in it from age.

Thanks for your suggestions/help

Last edited by Fredbird; 02-05-2012 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Clarification.

Get notified of new replies

To 1991 Poor Gas Mileage after Injector Swap

Old 02-07-2012, 06:40 AM
Fredbird
Instructor

Took the car to my friend's shop yesterday and he put the Fuel Pressure Guage on it.
Ignition in "ON" Position without having the engine on - 38-39lbs (According to what I had been reading before, that should be correct.)

At Idle - dropped to 30lbs
As he revved the engine it was fluctuating between 30-40 lbs

He checked his shop computer and looked up what the car should be at. He said it should be between 40 - 47lbs

So, according to him, my fuel pressure is low.

So, within the fuel path I've already replaced the "In-Line" fuel filter this past summer, the Fuel pressure regulator diaphram (as you know) and the injectors. The only thing left in the system would be the fuel pump itself. However, at ignition on, the pressure is correct.

Also, maybe it's my ignorance speaking, but how could "LOW" fuel pressure cause poor gas mileage.

Would the injectors be allowing too much fuel to flow and that's what's dropping the pressure in the line when the engine is started? (I don't have enough understanding in this area, that's why I'm asking)
Old 02-07-2012, 09:11 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Fredbird
Took the car to my friend's shop yesterday and he put the Fuel Pressure Guage on it.
Ignition in "ON" Position without having the engine on - 38-39lbs (According to what I had been reading before, that should be correct.)

At Idle - dropped to 30lbs
As he revved the engine it was fluctuating between 30-40 lbs

He checked his shop computer and looked up what the car should be at. He said it should be between 40 - 47lbs

So, according to him, my fuel pressure is low.

So, within the fuel path I've already replaced the "In-Line" fuel filter this past summer, the Fuel pressure regulator diaphram (as you know) and the injectors. The only thing left in the system would be the fuel pump itself. However, at ignition on, the pressure is correct.

Also, maybe it's my ignorance speaking, but how could "LOW" fuel pressure cause poor gas mileage.

Would the injectors be allowing too much fuel to flow and that's what's dropping the pressure in the line when the engine is started? (I don't have enough understanding in this area, that's why I'm asking)
Low pressure does not allow the fuel to atomize properly, an so instead of a mist of fuel it is larger droplets.

These larger droplets do not burn as rapidly (or completely) as the mist, and so power is down on the power stroke.

This is how your fuel mileage will decrease with low fuel pressure...
Old 02-07-2012, 09:18 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

What did your friend say about fluctuating FP? The one time I checked mine, I thought it was rock steady. It was a hair lower than I expected (at 34 PSI) but I don't remember much/any movement on the gauge when I tapped the throttle.

Forum? Forum? Bueller? Bueller?

If fluctuation isn't normal, I could see the ECM constantly struggling to find stoich. And, in doing so, err on the side of rich vs lean (to avoid catastrophe).

Also, there was one guy (who participated in the last B3 issue) claiming to be a dyno tuner. Member "dynocar" IIRC. Seemed he claimed that low fuel pressure would cause a rich condition. When I publicly and personally asked him to explain, he never returned with the details.

I've pushed as hard as anyone -- to get to the bottom of the issue(s) but people seldom follow-thru with progress/posting.

Keep up the good work!

Quick Reply: 1991 Poor Gas Mileage after Injector Swap