C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Erratic Idle Now Worse

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 11:43 PM
Dr_Shakalu
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Erratic Idle Now Worse

I have a 1996 auto coupe. I had a little skip in my idle and the voltage was about 14.2. No problem with power. Now there is a harder skip, and the voltage goes from 13.7-14.2. Before, I would be able to start it quickly. Now, I have to crank for a while until it starts. Also, the lights would get a little dim and then go back to normal. I was thinking something with the fuel system but would that cause the voltage to change. I had replaced all of the vacuum lines but I don't know if I changed them all. I do have a vacuum line that is capped with a screw. Can't reach it and don't know where it goes. If it is that vacuum tube with the screw that is causing the problem, why did my idle go from a little skip to a hard skip? Would a vacuum leak cause the fluctuations in voltage? Alternator, a loose ground, a loose wire etc. are some of the things that might I think may cause the problem.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:43 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr_Shakalu
I have a 1996 auto coupe. I had a little skip in my idle and the voltage was about 14.2. No problem with power. Now there is a harder skip, and the voltage goes from 13.7-14.2. Before, I would be able to start it quickly. Now, I have to crank for a while until it starts. Also, the lights would get a little dim and then go back to normal. I was thinking something with the fuel system but would that cause the voltage to change. I had replaced all of the vacuum lines but I don't know if I changed them all. I do have a vacuum line that is capped with a screw. Can't reach it and don't know where it goes. If it is that vacuum tube with the screw that is causing the problem, why did my idle go from a little skip to a hard skip? Would a vacuum leak cause the fluctuations in voltage? Alternator, a loose ground, a loose wire etc. are some of the things that might I think may cause the problem.
Although, a electrical issue is possible. I think you are too focused on the voltages. I think the car running ruff and fluctuating is causing the voltages to move around, considering engine RPM's drop.

The fact that now you have to crank it for a while before it starts, kinda leads me to think fuel pressure. I would check that out to start with.

Anymore description of the issue/symptom would help.
A vacuum leak (if big enough) will cause idle problems, but should run ok the rest of the time, maybe.
Where is this vacuum line at?
Old 03-24-2012, 08:15 PM
Dr_Shakalu
Racer

Someone also told me that it was a voltage regulator. The part doesn't cost alot so maybe I'll try that first. I just need to find out where in the engine it is and is it an easy remove and replace. If that don't work, I'll soon be buying fuel injectors from John and replacing the fuel filter. Thanks, Ed
Old 03-24-2012, 08:54 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The voltage regulator is internal to the alternator. You know how to rebuild an alternator?
Old 03-24-2012, 09:24 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

There are a few things that would cause what you describe but the voltage regulator is NOT one of them. If you have an error in the vacuum lines then that is where you want to start. have you checked the tps setting? A low voltage setting will cause a slight stumble. Go back to what you did first then start diagnosing instead of throwing parts ($$$) at it,, unless you have more money than you need.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:15 AM
Dr_Shakalu
Racer

I called Napa Auto Parts for the voltage regulator and they sell them for around $45.00 and an alternator for $175. I wonder why they sell the voltage regulator separately or is it for when you rebuild your alternator? O'Reily's also sold them separately so that's why I thought the regulator was next to the alternator and not in it.

Originally Posted by aminnich
The voltage regulator is internal to the alternator. You know how to rebuild an alternator?
Old 03-25-2012, 07:07 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by aminnich

Alternator problems are NOT where I would start from, considering what you said in your 1st post.

Get notified of new replies

To Erratic Idle Now Worse

Quick Reply: Erratic Idle Now Worse