C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Security or vats problem idk. :(

Old 03-29-2012, 02:50 PM
dragonwarrior88
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security or vats problem idk. :(

I have a 93 c4 auto 96xxx miles.

Here's the story one day I drove my vette and decided to leave the keys on the back of my other car. Well I took off with the keys on the car and obviously fell off.

So I ordered a key from Chevy with my vin. After trying the key the key wouldn't turn. So I decided to get a locksmith he got his key cut to turn the ignition with the #13 pellet and no crank! Fuel pump kicks in gauge lights turn on and I believe starter solenoid clicks. Security light stays lit. Wtf... So I got the Chevy key to work with a lil trimming and same thing!

I tested the key cylinder by placing the key in the ignition unplug vats harness and tested #13 throughout off/acc/and on position so the contacts are touching the pellet.

Next thing I did was made 15 resistors all within specs tried all 15 3times and nothing

Checked ccm for codes and got h51 and h53 which is ?.. I keep seeing it can be a bad ccm. Not sending a handshake to the ecu.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:07 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

The h indicates history. Here are your CCM error codes:

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2011...trouble-codes/

It's doubtful that the VATS resistance would have been included with a '93 MY inquiry BUT stranger things have happened. Did the dealer give you the key #'s and the VATS code? The code from their inquiry would not have been a "number" but a 2 letter code that needs to be converted to a number code using a chart. If your VATS code was part of the inquiry then maybe they just referenced the information incorrectly for the 2-letter to # code!

I'd start at the dealer if they supplied you with the VATS information!!

If I understand you correctly you have a key that rotates the cylinder! Correct?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-29-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:18 AM
dragonwarrior88
Advanced

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
The h indicates history. Here are your CCM error codes:

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2011...trouble-codes/

It's doubtful that the VATS resistance would have been included with a '93 MY inquiry BUT stranger things have happened. Did the dealer give you the key #'s and the VATS code? The code from their inquiry would not have been a "number" but a 2 letter code that needs to be converted to a number code using a chart. If your VATS code was part of the inquiry then maybe they just referenced the information incorrectly for the 2-letter to # code!

I'd start at the dealer if they supplied you with the VATS information!!

If I understand you correctly you have a key that rotates the cylinder! Correct?
All they asked was the vin# and said its #13 and ordered it. Cut the key didn't turn the cylinder till I had a locksmith make a key by scratch. Shaved a little off the dealer key and it turns the cylinder but both keys no crank.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:50 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Just ask the dealer to check the resistance code again. Ask the dealer for the 2 letter code that the key request response contained. When GM started key requests by VIN the resistance was included in the results by number but later changed to the 2 letter response. Yours maybe came back with the numeric response. Regardless it's the first question to ask!

It's not unusual to need to remove the sharp edges of a newly cut key to accomplish a mechanical rotation.

You "hinted" that the solenoid clicks? If the solenoid clicks I'd think it NOT VATS related! Fresh battery?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-30-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:32 PM
dragonwarrior88
Advanced

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Just ask the dealer to check the resistance code again. Ask the dealer for the 2 letter code that the key request response contained. When GM started key requests by VIN the resistance was included in the results by number but later changed to the 2 letter response. Yours maybe came back with the numeric response. Regardless it's the first question to ask!

It's not unusual to need to remove the sharp edges of a newly cut key to accomplish a mechanical rotation.

You "hinted" that the solenoid clicks? If the solenoid clicks I'd think it NOT VATS related! Fresh battery?
fresh battery. the solinod sound like its under the dash. but when i tested all 15 resistors the solinod clicked for all resistors.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:38 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

and you don't have a 2nd set of keys ??????????
Old 04-01-2012, 02:05 PM
dragonwarrior88
Advanced

Originally Posted by larryfs
and you don't have a 2nd set of keys ??????????
My parents lost it and gave me one key and I lost that
Old 04-03-2012, 11:03 AM
senorv47
Pro

www.vatssucks.com
Old 04-03-2012, 11:08 AM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

why does VATS suck?
in fact, it's doing its job, and is the best anti-theft device.

anyone who bypasses VATS is asking for their car to be stolen. It's a simple repair to replace a lock cylinder.

This OP above proves VATS works, and does what it is designed to.

He lost both keys, VATS WORKS !!!

Get notified of new replies

To Security or vats problem idk. :(

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Security or vats problem idk. :(