C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

New 383 TPI build and dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:30 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Looks real strong. Get to work on that base/runners sometimes theres power to be had there.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:06 AM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
Tom, all I can say about the new dyno results is "WOW" .. That's one sweet running motor.....Are you going to Carlisle this year???..WW
Unfortunately I'm gonna be away that weekend.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:12 AM
TA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Looks real strong. Get to work on that base/runners sometimes theres power to be had there.
Both are untouched, other then a little radius work on the upper end of the runners. I know there's plenty of room to hog out the base, but can anything really be done to the runners? I mean, short of scrapping them and going to a set of mega-ported SLPs or a First system.

I came real close to buying someone's old First set-up here on the forum, but I ended up passing. I'm kinda regretting it at this point.

I'll probably run this set-up for awhile and see what I can wring out of it (hopefully high 11s) and then consider an intake change down the road (SR or MR).
Old 07-03-2012, 10:27 AM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Good question didnt notice you had ASM runners

Probably not worth your while cost wise to go crazy on the base, buy SLPs then all the work involved. eventually youll tire of it and want more so skip all that
Old 07-03-2012, 11:00 AM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51
Years back a friend had a similar combo but not as much tq and the car went quicker when shifted earlier.

Hard to say exactly in regards to the dyno curve but.....

6000 rpms 275 rwtq5500 rpms 330 rwtq4500 rpms 375 rwtq
4500-6000 rpms 310-315 rwhp
I would think that ringing it out would make total sense if the tq curve was more like a miniram, but this isnt the case.....

Looking forward to some track mph shifting at 5000 versus say 5700 rpm's.

Dont get me wrong....This combo looks killer!
The dyno curve is actually motor torque and horsepower as measured at the rear wheels.......so you are seeing what is left of motor power after drivetrain losses, etc.

RWTQ would be the torque shown on the dyno curve multiplied by the overall gear ratio (transmission & rear axle)....

Point is you really want to stay at the highest horsepower possible, since this will result in the highest rear wheel torque!!!

The horsepower curve being so flat does mean that "precise" shift points are not going to be that critical with this incredible engine build..

Hope this help, but don't want to get to far off topic..

Old 07-03-2012, 02:13 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I am not a big fan of that HP curve.... you want a flat torque curve, hence a rising HP curve, versus a flat HP curve that you have. That motor will make a lot of noise as it makes its journey from 5000 to 6000 rpm, but will accelerate slowly and without much drama.

Your motor is a perfect candidate for a Superram if you can find one.... the torque curve will drop off at a slower rate, hence that HP curve will continue to rise. You won't lose any torque and might even gain some. On an initial dyno with my old 383, I had 540 ftlbs at the wheels. Bear in mind, this isn't necessarily reflective of what your motor truly has, its converter flash distorting the dyno.... but its good never the less.

You shift where the window provides the most average HP through that window. Hence, if you have an average 1600 rpm slap back rpm, then mathematically figure out what 1600 rpm window gives you the most average HP and you shift at that top of that. As LT4Bud said, your motor will not be real sensitive to shift changes because its all about the same, hence I'd shift your motor somewhere around 5200 rpm to get yourself in the next gear quicker, but this could be argued.

Here is an old dyno from years back of my 383 with the Superram/219.... at the time of this dyno, the car ran 115-116 mph traps and mid 11's with some below par Dart heads.....with better heads, it got another 3 mph on average, but I didn't dyno with the improved power, but believe it would have been in that 380-390 rwhp when I was running 118-119 mph traps. Take note, the torque graph scale is on the right... HP scale is on the left. Take that curve, lay it over your current curve and thats what you could have and then some....with just an intake change. (Ignore the little graph showing a 4700 rpm HP peak.... that was a pencilled in graph from another vehicle)

Old 07-03-2012, 02:43 PM
TA
Team Owner

I agree with what you're saying completely and I knew, going in, the pitfalls of keeping an LTR set-up on the car. The build really ended up the way it did because I was trying to complete it with a relatively low budget in mind and I had all the LTR stuff already. I probably have under 4k in the engine and that's including gaskets and misc small parts. So I definitely understand the limitations. That being said I still think the car will be a pretty strong runner. Hell, it can't be any more of a dog up top then the old engine was (stock cubes/heads/cam) and that still turned mid to high 12s.

Another concern for me is that I don't want to put a cage in the car. It's not a dedicated race car and I drive it and enjoy it too much to have to deal with a cage. I think the car will turn high 11s to low 12s even with the LTRs (obviously only track time will tell) so flirting with a different intake will having me right around that 11.50 barrier.

All that being said I'll still likely consider a SR or a MR once I wring what I can out of this set-up. It'll be fun trying though.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TA
I agree with what you're saying completely and I knew, going in, the pitfalls of keeping an LTR set-up on the car. The build really ended up the way it did because I was trying to complete it with a relatively low budget in mind and I had all the LTR stuff already. I probably have under 4k in the engine and that's including gaskets and misc small parts. So I definitely understand the limitations. That being said I still think the car will be a pretty strong runner. Hell, it can't be any more of a dog up top then the old engine was (stock cubes/heads/cam) and that still turned mid to high 12s.

Another concern for me is that I don't want to put a cage in the car. It's not a dedicated race car and I drive it and enjoy it too much to have to deal with a cage. I think the car will turn high 11s to low 12s even with the LTRs (obviously only track time will tell) so flirting with a different intake will having me right around that 11.50 barrier.

All that being said I'll still likely consider a SR or a MR once I wring what I can out of this set-up. It'll be fun trying though.

Sounds like you know what you're doing.

No matter what you do, you're going to have fun.... 383's tend to do that.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:10 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51
Say Gregg, Tom made pretty much the same power as you if you calculate the drivetrian loss for the automatic. What's up with that?
Didn't notice this question the first time around. It's a good one too. But there are at least three reasons that should make the answer obvious....

1) My sidepipe system is more restrictive. Estimates are anywhere from 20-40HP gain just by converting to true duals.
2) I installed my cam 4-deg advance -- for maximum torque.
3) My cam is actually 10-deg total duration less than a SR cam. It also has a smidge less lift.

I didn't think about it until after I started typing but I don't recall if Tom has CATs on his either. I do.

Lots of power-cloggers on my setup. Seeing this thread makes me want to drop the sidepipes, throw on an HSR, and change cam orientation.

I still think Tom's build turned out great! It does say A LOT for porting the 113's for a TPI setup -- and not telling everyone that just HAVE to have AFRs for a successful build.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:53 PM
cypher85
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
I still think Tom's build turned out great! It does say A LOT for porting the 113's for a TPI setup -- and not telling everyone that just HAVE to have AFRs for a successful build.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:06 AM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

its so hard to compare dyno#s
They can all read different

Gear ratio stall size even tire pressure and type can change the readings noticeably.

Put simply a 380rwhp car can run 10s right along with a 450rwhp car depending on what parts are on it.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:48 PM
Chevyguy168
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TA
The dyno operator told me he cut it off at 6k and the rest was some sort of run-out. If you look at the HP curve my guess is he actually cut it off at about 5600 as the graph seems to be trending downward at that point and that has an unexplained uptick. Even taking that into consideration, its making power north of 5k which is impressive.

I'll try to get some video of it running also. I was pleasantly surprised at how lumpy the 219 cam sounded

If you don't mine me asking what was the peak hp rpm on this setup and you used as&m long tube runners?

Quick Reply: New 383 TPI build and dyno results