C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 rear wheel noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 11:35 AM
TimV SR
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default 1985 rear wheel noise

Thanks in advance for help!

1985 with recent (less than 10,000 miles) u-joints and wheel bearings. Replaced rear wheel bearings again 6,000-7,000 miles back with HD tapered ones. Just put some nice used American Racing rims on that I got from a forum member.

Wife & I went to a cruise-in yesterday about 50 miles away. When we left, her window was down and she heard a clicking sound. I got out and had her drive around slowly while I walked next to the car and heard the sound about every wheel revolution. At first I thought it might be a stone in the tread, but it was more like something was hitting the AR aluminum center cap. Center cap is held in place by one bolt that was tight. I pulled the cap and found nothing strange. The lug nuts seemed tight and were torqued to 100 ft-lbs when the rims were put on.

I did a search and found common sources for this type of noise are u-joints, axle spline needing greased or replaced, teflon washers needed at spline.

I also read that u-joints will make a noise 4 times for every wheel revolution.

Opinions please.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:50 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Check the axle nut tourque.
Also did you use a fresh teflon coated washer when you did the bearings?
Put anti-seize on the splines of the axle shaft?
Old 04-30-2012, 05:02 PM
TimV SR
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jaa1992
Check the axle nut tourque.
Also did you use a fresh teflon coated washer when you did the bearings?
Put anti-seize on the splines of the axle shaft?
I didn't know about the teflon coated washers. I'm pretty sure I put anti-sieze on the splines.

If it is any of these, will it hurt to drive the car?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:16 PM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=TimV SR;1580692178]I didn't know about the teflon coated washers. I'm pretty sure I put anti-sieze on the splines.

If it is any of these, will it hurt to drive the car?[/QUOT

I hope it won't hurt cause I did exactly what you did and have similar results. I now have the washers but they don't help sitting on my work bench.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:16 PM
94z07fx3
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

consider that some u-joints ship with just enough grease to hold the needle bearings in place and have an instruction card that says to fill them up with grease before you install them or after you install them in the case of the ones with the grease fittings.

The teflon coated washer installed facing the right way will reduce/cure a sqeaking not a clicking IIRC. The anti-sieze makes the life of a hypothetical future removal easier but I don't think it will cure a clicking.

Are you 100% sure there is no stone/screw/debris in the tire tread?
Old 04-30-2012, 07:05 PM
TimV SR
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 94z07fx3
consider that some u-joints ship with just enough grease to hold the needle bearings in place and have an instruction card that says to fill them up with grease before you install them or after you install them in the case of the ones with the grease fittings.

The teflon coated washer installed facing the right way will reduce/cure a sqeaking not a clicking IIRC. The anti-sieze makes the life of a hypothetical future removal easier but I don't think it will cure a clicking.

Are you 100% sure there is no stone/screw/debris in the tire tread?
From the driver's seat driving by a building I can hear a noise that could be a stone, but from the outside it sounds like someone is tapping the center cap with a small wrench.

I just pulled the center cap again and checked the spindle nut. The u-joints have grease fittings so I'll lube them tonight and rule that out also.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:36 PM
TimV SR
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Update:

All u-joints greased.

Drove the car today and can hear a distinct clicking sound through the open passenger window when I drive by something the bounces the sound back.

The sound is not there when I raise the car and rotate the wheels by hand.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:00 PM
TimV SR
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Solved!

I didn't mention that I recently put a set of after market rims on the car. They are used AR aluminum rims with a center cap that is held on by one screw near the edge of the cap.

Believe it ir not, it was the cap! I drove it today without the cap and no noise. After a while, I put the cap on and the clicking sound was back. I took it back off and the noise went away. I then switched the cap with one from the other side and still no noise.

These caps were tight when I put them on and I specifically checked this cap to make sure it wasn't moving around. Yet, with every wheel rotation there was a loud click.

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 rear wheel noise

Quick Reply: 1985 rear wheel noise