C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need to change alternator on 92 LT1 vette

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 10:00 PM
superdave269
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Need to change alternator on 92 LT1 vette

What a day. After finding a problem I believe the body shop did to my car. (just posted below) Just by coincidence my alternator bearing seized, right in my driveway. I'll buy a new one tomorrow but I really never changed out anything with these new belts before as my other vettes are older. How do I get the pressure of the belt? I saw a diagram that showed a little pully moves but for the life of me I didn't see how to get it to move. Thanks
Old 05-11-2012, 10:38 PM
94z07fx3
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't put a new alt on until you resolve the dead short to ground issue that killed the one on there now.

To remove the belt you will need a serp belt tool sold at every parts store. The people there can explain their use if needed.

Disconnect the coolant temp sensor pigtail to get it out of your way. Do not break the CTS while removing/installing the belt.

Note the belt routing before you take it off.

The pigtail for the alt may be very fragile at this point. Gingerly remove it when the time comes.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:14 PM
superdave269
Pro

Don't put a new alt on until you resolve the dead short to ground issue that killed the one on there now.
Interesting as I got a problem today. I posted this in another thread."I picked up my 92 corvette earlier today as I had someone put new door locks in it. One of them froze up so I bought a pair and had them replaced. Well just before dark I went to put it in my garage and the battery was dead. I noticed that the interior lights were on. What the heck did the body shop do? Pinch or short out a wire? Any ideas? Some kind of switch go bad? I pulled the ctsy fuse for tonight but that's not really the fix I was looking for"
I guess the short that is keeping the interior lights on did this too.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:23 PM
94z07fx3
Race Director

Sadly you or someone is going to have to retrace the steps of the "professionals". I would start with disconnecting the battery and putting it on an automatic charger. When it is back up to power and reconnected, I would test the functionality of the power windows, door locks, and mirrors. If any fail that is a place to start. Then I would pull the door panels (my least favorite thing to do on a Corvette esp the 92 passenger door) and eyeball every wire and connector. Take and post pictures of the connectors for the door lock and window switches.

By the way when the alt pulley stops spinning it can easily damage the belt. If no PO has performed the upgrade then yours is the more rare two sided type that is normally a special order but can be had at a parts store chain in a couple of days.

This whole thing could be as simple as two wires on a power window switch installed backwards.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:34 PM
superdave269
Pro

I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend. I have to say I just hate it when someone else works on any of my cars. I end up going behind them and fixing their work. I just didn't want to get my big hand and arms all cut up inside of the doors. The belt has a little dig/ burn mark in it. The body shop is 5 minutes away. If it was farther I bet the belt would be totaly gone. It is the 2 sided belt. Thanks
Old 05-12-2012, 10:01 AM
superdave269
Pro

Now that it's light out I took both doors apart. I did find a skined wire. I taped it up. I hope this was the cause of all the issues. I really won't know untill this afternoon when my new alternater gets delivered to the local parts store. 5 hrs into fixing so far. I would guess I can get the alternater back in and door panels back on in 1 hr if the short stays away. Still need to buy a new serpentine belt(have to order because it's 2 sided) Glad I paid a professional for help.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:57 PM
superdave269
Pro

Success! I put it all back together and it appears that my electrical problems are gone. It cost me $169 for an alternater and new serpentine belt, plus 6 hrs troubles shooting. All I wanted to do today was play with my 73 vette. Oh well theres always tomorrow.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:04 PM
94z07fx3
Race Director

Get notified of new replies

To Need to change alternator on 92 LT1 vette

Quick Reply: Need to change alternator on 92 LT1 vette