C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

anyone familiar with an IBM CAMS machine

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 01:32 AM
painkiller64
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone familiar with an IBM CAMS machine

I have a IBM CAMS machine from the late 80s my dad got from the GM dealer he worked at quite a few years ago. anyone having any knowledge of this please post lol.

thanks, and btw im a new member and new owner of a 84 vette! Glad to join and see lots of info on this forum.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:05 AM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by painkiller64
I have a IBM CAMS machine from the late 80s.
What's it supposed to do?
Old 05-21-2012, 05:07 AM
painkiller64
3rd Gear

its basically like a tech 1/tech 2 scanner but it has an 80s computer in it with a crt touchscreen and a cabinet full of cables n stuff to monitor/check engine codes, diagnostics etc. lol perfect retro scanner to use on my 84
Old 04-15-2017, 07:00 PM
JSI
4th Gear

Default I just picked one of these up myself. Anyone have any info on it?

Originally Posted by painkiller64
its basically like a tech 1/tech 2 scanner but it has an 80s computer in it with a crt touchscreen and a cabinet full of cables n stuff to monitor/check engine codes, diagnostics etc. lol perfect retro scanner to use on my 84
Anyone have info? Just picked one of these up myself
Old 04-15-2017, 10:37 PM
Matatk
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I tried to find some info on this a few years back and I found almost nothing. Also called the T100. It was a dealer service tool that was a roll around cabinet with a touchscreen and did diagnostics and also had factory recall info and some engine specs/torque values. It also had a modem to connect to GM. Made obsolete by smaller computers, from what I understand. I'd love to see some photos of yours.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:08 AM
JSI
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Matatk
I tried to find some info on this a few years back and I found almost nothing. Also called the T100. It was a dealer service tool that was a roll around cabinet with a touchscreen and did diagnostics and also had factory recall info and some engine specs/torque values. It also had a modem to connect to GM. Made obsolete by smaller computers, from what I understand. I'd love to see some photos of yours.
Information is very scare on it, I know it was used up until the mid 90s when OBD II came into play. I saved this one from being scrapped. It came with floppy discs,cds,manuals, a ton of GM connectors and break out boxes. It powers up, I just don't know how to make it work
Old 04-16-2017, 08:34 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,647 Posts

I can't give you any tech info on the CAMS Machine but I can tell you that all GM Dealers had at least one as it was an essential tool. It was quickly outdated by the Tech I about the same way the flip phone was by the smart phone. Technology quickly passed the CAMS Machine by.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:32 PM
Matatk
Drifting

Very cool, thanks for the pictures.

Does it power up?
Old 04-17-2017, 01:29 AM
JSI
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
I can't give you any tech info on the CAMS Machine but I can tell you that all GM Dealers had at least one as it was an essential tool. It was quickly outdated by the Tech I about the same way the flip phone was by the smart phone. Technology quickly passed the CAMS Machine by.
Lol that makes my day, I still carry a flip phone
Old 04-17-2017, 01:30 AM
JSI
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Matatk
Very cool, thanks for the pictures.

Does it power up?
yes it powers right up, I just can't get into the actual GM program
Old 04-17-2017, 09:34 AM
Matatk
Drifting

Is it password protected? Or perhaps you have to hook it up to a car? I am not sure how it actually boots/functions. Does that manual give any details?
Old 11-15-2023, 06:57 PM
NativeTexanXX
1st Gear

Default Gm/ibm cams

I was a service tech for IBM out in far W. Tx when that machine was introduced. It has an IBM PC/AT under the covers with some special adapters for attaching to various GM cars ALDL, doing the same things our code readers do today. It was ghastly expensive, and I don't know how long it remained relevant. It had a cool power up device in there that could boot the machine by calling from a phone line for updates. I only saw it in use one time, and we did have special arrangements for repair parts (we didn't cover the special cables.) The cabinet was heavy and well built, and I do believe there was a simple printer in there. Lordy, 1985 was a LONG time ago. The machine I actually dealt with was at Pollard Chev in Big Spring TX. I saw it running tests on a 1986 Riviera with the touch screen dashboard. It will be running some kind of PC DOS; probably DOS 6.

Last edited by NativeTexanXX; 11-15-2023 at 11:12 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To anyone familiar with an IBM CAMS machine

Quick Reply: anyone familiar with an IBM CAMS machine