C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hsr questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 12:11 AM
DDeRiso
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hsr questions

Hello I'm new and don't know much about how the tuning and how the ECM or Ecu ( to be perfectly honest I don't really know the difference) is used or tuned or what the different options are and I've heard different things like MAF and different tuning softwares ( can't think of the names off the top of my head) Now lets get to the build I am considering I eventually want a 383, Dana 44, 6 speed tranny (the zf6 or the t56) but back to the intake so basically my questions are

1. What are my options for the computer/ECM

2.what type of cam should I be going for. I've heard of custom cams would this be a good idea??

3.anything else should I know about this intake system. Is there anything bad about it??

4. Is it hard to install??

5. What "extras" am I going to need??

Ohh just to clarify I know about it not fitting under the hood. And tht the car is an 84

Thanks for your 2 cents I appreciate it
Dillon

Last edited by DDeRiso; 04-01-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:29 AM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DDeRiso
1. What are my options for the computer/ECM
Any of the stock TPI ECM's of your choice with a custom tune to suit
2.what type of cam should I be going for.
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/al...selection.html

3.anything else should I know about this intake system.
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/al...gal-whats.html

4. Is it hard to install??
No different to any carb intake on a SBC ; considerably easier than a TPI install
5. What "extras" am I going to need??
A small cap remote coil dist like one from a TBI truck or MSD #8366 along with an adapter harness to suit the Vette wiring ( or cut and splice some pigtails from the JY )

You will have to re-route your fuel lines up over the rear of engine / bellhousing to suit the rear feed fuel rails of the HSR.
Braided SS lines preferred requiring Metric O ring - AN adapter fittings to adapt the stock lines to braided lines

Last edited by vetteoz; 04-01-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:05 AM
DDeRiso
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vetteoz
Any of the stock TPI ECM's of your choice with a custom tune to suit

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/al...selection.html

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/al...gal-whats.html

No different to any carb intake on a SBC ; considerably easier than a TPI install
A small cap remote coil dist like one from a TBI truck or MSD #8366 along with an adapter harness to suit the Vette wiring ( or cut and splice some pigtails from the JY )

You will have to re-route your fuel lines up over the rear of engine / bellhousing to suit the rear feed fuel rails of the HSR.
Braided SS lines preferred requiring Metric O ring - AN adapter fittings to adapt the stock lines to braided lines
Thanks for all the info it's much appreciated

Ok now that i have tht info about the ecm I have some more questions.

1 are there better ECMs then others??

2 what's a good tuning software??

3 what is a good place to start learning
about tuning myself

Thanks for info regards
Dillon
Old 04-01-2013, 03:04 AM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

1 are there better ECMs then others??
Aftermarket EFI setups (ECM and wiring ) are easier to tune , some "self learning " but are way more expensive .
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/df...i-systems.html

Stock TPI ECM's are the opposite

what's a good tuning software??
For factory ECM 's TunerPro is invariably the defacto software of choice for most
http://www.tunerpro.net/
Aftermarket EFI setups use their own tuning software

what is a good place to start learning
about tuning myself
A steep learning curve , there is no definitive " how to " book on the subject
The most knowledgeable have learnt by trial and error and encourage newbies to do the same with help from the tuning forums so they understand how things work

Info here is a little dated http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/di...uide-book.html
( the original chips are no longer erased and reprogrammed, eproms that can be instantly programmed are used these days ) but the basics of tuning are still the same

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/diy-prom/
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/dfi-ecm/
Old 04-01-2013, 12:15 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 329 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

what is a good place to start learning about tuning myself
Do you understand the basics about "tuning" a carbed motor?

tuning a TPI is basically filling in parm tables to accomplish what you'd otherwise do on an older motor. but, with better detail/control.

There is no actual "programming" required.

once you figure that out, tuning consists of: getting the injector constant set correctly, using sensor feedback to adjust fuel flow at the various throttle openings, and using sensor feedback to adjust timing. Everything else is a game of tweaking for everyday driveability.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:32 PM
DDeRiso
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Do you understand the basics about "tuning" a carbed motor?

tuning a TPI is basically filling in parm tables to accomplish what you'd otherwise do on an older motor. but, with better detail/control.

There is no actual "programming" required.

once you figure that out, tuning consists of: getting the injector constant set correctly, using sensor feedback to adjust fuel flow at the various throttle openings, and using sensor feedback to adjust timing. Everything else is a game of tweaking for everyday driveability.
to be honest i really dont know much about the topic. but if this is true why have i heard about people getting mailed tunes ive also heard of "dyno tuning" dont know about this either.

so if its so easy why doesn't everyone tune there cars by them selves??

pardon my curiosity but it seems to be more than just this. but if it that easy i shouldn't have a problem learning and doing the tune should i??

and if i sounded like an ahole my bad i didnt mean it

Last edited by DDeRiso; 04-01-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:39 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 329 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

to be honest i really dont know much about the topic. but if this is true why have i heard about people getting mailed tunes ive also heard of "dyno tuning" dont know about this either.

so if its so easy why doesn't everyone tune there cars by them selves??

pardon my curiosity but it seems to be more than just this. but if it that easy i shouldn't have a problem learning and doing the tune should i??
Depends on your aptitude with computers and basic understanding of motors. Some have neither...and can't afford the time to aquire the basics, then tune. Others don't want to chance doing something wrong. Then, there's the group who'd prefer to pay for expertise -- and the warm-fuzzy feeling that gives them.

Buying chips entails getting a person who's familiar with most setups to feed in basic parms like injectors size...and timing table [possibly] for a similar cam/intake. It's basically a guess...though often a good, educated one.

Dyno tuning takes care of WOT performance where O2 sensors aren't providing feedback to show if you're rich/lean. (Dyno tuning or wideband tuning are a necessity because of this sensor issue.)

Driveability is best done by the owner...though scans of the car running can be sent to a chip-tuner. He looks at the scans -- for spark knock or AFR problems and corrects parm tables as scans indicate.

An initial chip, dyno tune, and scan are the three minimum steps to get a car tuned. If you take the time to learn what each parm does, you could literally burn 100 chips shooting for the perfect tune. Or at least learning all the possibilities and what everything "does".

The pitfalls are not to tune the engine too lean or create a scenario with too much spark knock. Learn enough about those two basics, how to load/operate software, and how to get your car to talk to the computer, and you'll have a great time tuning.

If computers and motor basics aren't in your repertoire, it's better to pay someone else.

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 04-02-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:07 PM
DDeRiso
Intermediate

Thanks for all the info!!

Get notified of new replies

To Hsr questions

Quick Reply: Hsr questions