C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

the question that i cant find to be answered

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 11:53 AM
VetteFan85
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the question that i cant find to be answered

Hello hello, I am trying to find out that when i am going to rebuilt the tranny on my 85 corvette, i want to replace the converter and i wanted to know what the stall time that i should be going for since its seem like my stock is at around 2,056 i believe and since i got the new motor with increased hp and torque. Do you guys know what converter i should get to install? Thank you
Old 04-10-2013, 12:23 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

Stock converter for a 85 with the 700R automatic is about 1400 not 2000. Do you know what kind of HP you are producing. I would go with a 2400 stall without any downside to running the car as a daily driver or at the track.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:44 PM
VetteFan85
Advanced

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
Stock converter for a 85 with the 700R automatic is about 1400 not 2000. Do you know what kind of HP you are producing. I would go with a 2400 stall without any downside to running the car as a daily driver or at the track.
The motor I got from jegs produce 260 hp with 350 torque. I drive this car as daily driver and i am a bit of tracker of course. If i do get a higher stall time like you mentioned.. Would i have to do anything like tuning my programs in my vette to meet the higher stall time?

Last edited by VetteFan85; 04-10-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:13 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
You don't have to make any changes to the tune. The stock converter in my 85 locked at 2050 RPM. A 2400 stall is really not much more. Typically for performance applications a stall is selected based on the peak torque RPM. A stall of 300-500 RPM less than the peak torque RPM is a general rule. The factory converter was a compromise of performance and gas mileage.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:22 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I'm running a 383 with a mild cam and I still have the stock converter, BUT, I don't drag race the car. You didn't mention what you plan to do with the car, if your going to race it then it will depend on how heavily your engine is modded. JMO. A stock converter will run a lot cooler too.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:11 PM
VetteFan85
Advanced

Ah yeah, I really want it to be my daily driving as once in a while.. I would like to punch my gas pedal and have any one who dare to eat my dust I am not planning on do much of modification but maybe upgrading my top end on my motor for some 40 to 80 hp more without changing any major work. I guess you can say I want it to be sleeper. Only needed to be awake to show some America muscles
Old 04-10-2013, 04:35 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

My 85 was putting out more than what you are running currently. So I think the 2400 stall would work well. Mine was a daily driver, seeing track time occasionally. You will not have to reprogram your ECM for this change.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:55 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by VetteFan85
Ah yeah, I really want it to be my daily driving as once in a while.. I would like to punch my gas pedal and have any one who dare to eat my dust I am not planning on do much of modification but maybe upgrading my top end on my motor for some 40 to 80 hp more without changing any major work. I guess you can say I want it to be sleeper. Only needed to be awake to show some America muscles
This is just my opinion. What you are describing you want would be much easier attained with a higher numbered gear ratio in the rearend. I'm running a 3:07 and it is a good ratio but if anything were to happen I would be looking at an even higher number. My advice, for what it may be worth is to forget the converter & swap rear gears. More work, yes, but the rewards are much better also.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:46 PM
VetteFan85
Advanced

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
This is just my opinion. What you are describing you want would be much easier attained with a higher numbered gear ratio in the rearend. I'm running a 3:07 and it is a good ratio but if anything were to happen I would be looking at an even higher number. My advice, for what it may be worth is to forget the converter & swap rear gears. More work, yes, but the rewards are much better also.
Well, the problem is that my tranny is out and its requiring me to rebuilt it. So I figure if I am going to rebuilt it then as well I can upgrade it. I got a new and stronger motor so I should do the same with tranny but I am weak on knowledge of increasing the performance on tranny tho. I want to be sure that I am going in right direction by asking about torque converter to start with since its the stock and its original from 85.

Get notified of new replies

To the question that i cant find to be answered

Quick Reply: the question that i cant find to be answered