C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How to bleed ABS Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 11:41 PM
Texas CE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to bleed ABS Brakes

I am going to replace my brake lines and need to find out how to bleed the ABS brakes on a 96 using a 1 man bleeder. Help!
Old 06-20-2002, 12:14 AM
Husker Vette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: How to bleed ABS Brakes (Texas CE)

I just got done checking my repair manual, and it does not specify anything different for ABS brakes than non ABS brakes.

It also states to raise the front of the car to keep air from getting trapped in the calipers, also to start on the left rear, then right rear, then front left, then front right (the order of the wheels is different than what I have been told).

Good luck.
Old 06-20-2002, 12:31 AM
BBA
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The easiest way is to block off flow from the master cylinder before you begin work. Do this by depressing the brake pedal and locking it into place by wedging a piece of material between the driver seat on the brake pedal.

Now when you remove the line, there will be very little fluid lost, the master cylinder will not drain out and the ABS pump will not loose it's prime.

Once the new hose is on and all fittings are tight, simply release the brake pedal, open the bleeder screw from the caliper you replaced the hose on, and let gravity drain the fluid from the bleeder screw. Make sure you constantly monitor the brake resevoir to keep it FULL!

Again, this is the most important thing: Make sure you constantly monitor the brake resevoir to keep it FULL!

After you gravity drain the caliper for about 1/2 of a brake bottle of fluid...that caliper will be pretty close to air free.

After you do all hoses involved...do one last gravity bleed, or even a forced bleed ( with an assistant to open/close the bleeder screw whil you press the pedal ).

This should take care of the whole thing.
Old 06-21-2002, 03:55 PM
Texas CE
Instructor

I appreciate all the information. I will tackle this job in a month or so (when the wife & daughter are visiting relatives) and let you know how it turned out!

Thanks everyone!
Old 06-21-2002, 07:15 PM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A word of caution on the assisted bleeding. Don't let the person push the brake pedal to the floor while you are bleeding the caliper/lines. This can cause the master cylinder to leak as the pistion is forced all the way into the bore which is not normal for braking. Just a thought.

[Modified by ittlfly, 3:15 PM 6/21/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To How to bleed ABS Brakes

Quick Reply: How to bleed ABS Brakes