C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Are these compatible?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 10:55 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Default Are these compatible?

Replacing clutch, and of course flywheel after 150K miles. Just wondering if anyone knows if there is a difference in architecture between the Spec Stage 1 kit, and the Carolina Stage 2 kit. There is a significant price difference, and I think I want the Spec light steel FW, but would rather not pay over $400 for the stg 1 kit.

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy...te/1996/Single

http://www.carolinaclutch.com/ShowIt...tch%20Kit.aspx

Thanks --Chris
Old 05-06-2013, 06:42 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,270 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Replacing clutch, and of course flywheel after 150K miles. Just wondering if anyone knows if there is a difference in architecture between the Spec Stage 1 kit, and the Carolina Stage 2 kit. There is a significant price difference, and I think I want the Spec light steel FW, but would rather not pay over $400 for the stg 1 kit.

Thanks --Chris
I certainly can't "first-hand" answer your question but when doing a "complete" package ie f/wheel and clutch if you don't do it from a single vendor and IF you have a problem you'll end up with both playing the "blame game". Decide just what you really want for a clutch and do a package from the single vendor. You need to do the research "on the phone" with their tech advisors and understand "before" purchase what you've bought.

Internet shopping is much like "window" shopping, the buy can change dramatically once you "step inside"!!

With all the controversy over release bearings these days and the sourcing of components of both the vendors you mention I believe regardless of cost I might consider a "push style" conversion maybe by McLeod -
Old 05-06-2013, 10:31 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I certainly can't "first-hand" answer your question but when doing a "complete" package ie f/wheel and clutch if you don't do it from a single vendor and IF you have a problem you'll end up with both playing the "blame game". Decide just what you really want for a clutch and do a package from the single vendor. You need to do the research "on the phone" with their tech advisors and understand "before" purchase what you've bought.

Internet shopping is much like "window" shopping, the buy can change dramatically once you "step inside"!!

With all the controversy over release bearings these days and the sourcing of components of both the vendors you mention I believe regardless of cost I might consider a "push style" conversion maybe by McLeod -
Very true. I was just wondering if, for example, these are the same clutch kits from Spec and Carolina Clutch. Spec has there's listed for over $400 and CC has it for $295. When I talked to CC they said the pressure plate was exactly the same as the Valeo OEM replacement.

Yes, I agree about the McLeod set up. Just way out of my price range at this time. Aftermarket slaves are a whole 'nother topic.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:40 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 402 Likes on 328 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Thanks --Chris

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...h+luk&_sacat=0

I'd get a LUK kit. (I did for mine.) Since they were the original manufacturers for our DMFs, it seems logicial to assume their clutch kits are reliable and well-machined. AFAIK, these would be NOS units too. (Unless LUK hasn't discontinued clutches -- after tossing the DMF manufacture out the window.)

If the TO bearings have gone downhill (and I don't know), then consider contacting ZFDoc or Jandick to get an OEM part -- if still available.

Also consider a new fluted, rifled pilot bearing...if you'll be replacing yours. Though you can clearly see a pilot bearing comes in this kit, the ZFDoc recommends the GM version -- assuming you can still get/order one. (I probably have the part# at home).

Not sure how I'd feel about the lightweight versus HW Spec FW. The later seems the only (and best) option to insure no/low ZF rattle. I'm thinking most people would choose refinement over a little extra power. Not everyone though. Depends on your future vision for the car I guess.

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 05-06-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:42 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...h+luk&_sacat=0

I'd get a LUK kit. (I did for mine.) Since they were the original manufacturers for our DMFs, it seems logicial to assume their clutch kits are reliable and well-machined. AFAIK, these would be NOS units too. (Unless LUK hasn't discontinued clutches -- after tossing the DMF manufacture out the window.)

If the TO bearings have gone downhill (and I don't know), then consider contacting ZFDoc or Jandick to get an OEM part -- if still available.

Also consider a new fluted, rifled pilot bearing...if you'll be replacing yours. Though you can clearly see a pilot bearing comes in this kit, the ZFDoc recommends the GM version -- assuming you can still get/order one. (I probably have the part# at home).

Not sure how I'd feel about the lightweight versus HW Spec FW. The later seems the only (and best) option to insure no/low ZF rattle. I'm thinking most people would choose refinement over a little extra power. Not everyone though. Depends on your future vision for the car I guess.
The only thing about these are that they are the unsprung discs for the DMF. Which I have thought about, but at 150K miles my DMF is probably about ready for retirement. Carolina Clutch has the whole conversion kit with a heavy steel FW and the above linked clutch for $695. But the lighter (22lb) Spec wheel seems like a nice alternative w/o going to alum. Some gear rattle wouldn't bother too much, as a tradeoff for better throttle response.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:01 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 402 Likes on 328 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

The only thing about these are that they are the unsprung discs for the DMF. Which I have thought about, but at 150K miles my DMF is probably about ready for retirement. Carolina Clutch has the whole conversion kit with a heavy steel FW and the above linked clutch for $695. But the lighter (22lb) Spec wheel seems like a nice alternative w/o going to alum. Some gear rattle wouldn't bother too much, as a tradeoff for better throttle response.
SOB...I forgot all about that. Getting too much into dating women these days and I'm losing focus. You definitely want a sprung-hub clutch with a solid FW.

OTOH, I think Bill at ZF might tell you that reusing a 150K 1996 DMF isn't that big a risk. The springs will be getting weak but the seal isn't necessarily going to shoot craps for a few more years. Weak springs doesn't hurt anything...you might get some rattle with your hotcam, but it still runs smooth enough, I'm not sure. Ask him. Or ask Jandik at PowerTorqueSystems.

All you have to do -- if they say it's OK to reuse is clean with maroon scotchbrite -- readily available at auto parts stores.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:58 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Well, weather's getting too nice to have the Vette on the sideline. So I pulled the trigger on the parts. Went with the Caroline STG2 and, flame suit on, the Ecklers SMF. For two reasons, the price of the Eckler's was pretty cheap, imagine iron FW. But this will give me a chance to see what I think of the SMF set up, then perhaps upgrade to Spec 22lb. Also, ther's a few tools I'll need to get, and want to replace the slave...again. Although, right now I'm kinda wondering if I shouldn't have just taken a shot at the DMF still being okay.

Oh well, I just gotta get this done. First time doing this for me, so any tips or tricks beyond the FSM are appreciated.

Get notified of new replies

To Are these compatible?

Quick Reply: Are these compatible?