C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

My 1st Custom Chip (Thanks to "ski_dwn_it")

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 09:44 PM
Triple Black 88
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Default My 1st Custom Chip (Thanks to "ski_dwn_it")

**I posted this in the ECM/Tuning sec, but thought it would benifit the performance readers that don't normally visit that topic.

This past weekend, I had my car tuned by fellow forum member "ski_dwn_it", and I wanted to share this experience with you all. About 3 months ago I got a 3.73 rear, new trans, exhaust, tune up, etc... The car ran good (no hesitation) but it felt like I was towing or dragging something. I played around with timing looking for that sweet spot, and I found it between 8 and 10. The only problem is that the next day it felt like I was dragging something again. Don't get me wrong, it ran good, but I knew that something wasn't "right". I posted a few questions about this on the forum, and all replies pointed towards a custom chip. It sounded great, but I knew that this was over my head. So I asked "ski_dwn_it", who was one of the guys who replied to the post, if he would consider tuning my car. I wrote him an e-mail, and let him know where I stood as far as mods and what I was experiencing. Lucky for me he said yes, so we made plans and got
together last weekend.
I made the 4 1/2 hr drive Friday night, and checked into the hotel. I met up with him that night where he explained the process and checked out each others cars. His 89 is a Monster!!! We got started early Saturday morning and spent all day tuning it with the laptop. I was very impressed with his knowledge and patience. He made log after log and burnt chip after chip, while working out the kinks.
Bottom line is that the car runs perfect now. Strong and smooth from start to finish without any feeling of drag. Turns out I was getting tons of knock counts (among other problems) with that Hypertech chip. Before the custom chip I could barely spin wheels, even with the 3.73's, and now I can break them at 15 - 20 mph, and I'm getting solid chirps out of my shift kit.
I would strongly recommend that anyone serious about maximizing their Corvettes performance, tune your car with a scanner and customize your chip. If your like me and have no idea how to program chips, find someone who does...you won't be sorry. If you live anywhere near central PA, I'm sure "ski_dwn_it" would be happy to do the same thing for you. Thanks for reading!

***Jesse, thanks again for the time you spent tuning my car. It was well worth the 9 hour trip. I look forward to working with you again!!!

Quick Reply: My 1st Custom Chip (Thanks to "ski_dwn_it")