C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Ghost Code 26...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 09:36 PM
Photoguy000
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Ghost Code 26...

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've only found a handfull of different answers about it.

Today my wife and I took a trip to the National Corvette Museum;about 500 miles round trip. See attached photo here:

Two things I love, my wife and my Vette.

Anyway, 250ish miles there and no problem, 25mpg at 75mph. Then we left and on the way home the 'Service Engine Soon' light came on about an hour in. No noticeable loss in power, no drivability issues, no funny sounds, everything seemed fine; continued the drive home with my wife asleep in the passenger seat. (yes, she has proven it is possible to sleep in a C4 on a road trip). Again 250ish miles at 25mpg, 75mph. 91 Degrees according to the car all the way there.

When I got home I jumped pins A and B and it ran a code 26. I see that this is a Evap canister purge solenoid problem and I have a list of troubleshooting steps to look at this weekend. OK, I figure problem will be solved or two steps towards solved over the weekend. Then it happens....

I start the car to pull it in the garage and the 'Service Engine Soon' light stays off........ I drove the car around the block a couple of times (most likely confusing the neighbors) and it never came back on. I jumped the pins again in the garage and the Code 26 was still stored in the computer.

So the question is this. Is this a freak one time deal? Could it be a C4 electrical ghost? or could the problem be elsewhere? (I saw elsewhere on the interwebs that it could be a problem in the Cats?) Or should I just wait and see if it pops up again?

Thanks in advance. Car info is as follows: 92 ZF6 FX3, 60,556 miles, starts and runs just fine, no power loss, no strange noises. Just a confused driver...
Old 08-21-2013, 10:59 PM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Photoguy000
When I got home I jumped pins A and B and it ran a code 26. I see that this is a Evap canister purge solenoid problem and I have a list of troubleshooting steps to look at this weekend. Then it happens....
I start the car to pull it in the garage and the 'Service Engine Soon' light stays off........ I drove the car around the block a couple of times (most likely confusing the neighbors) and it never came back on. I jumped the pins again in the garage and the Code 26 was still stored in the computer.
When the Service Engine Soon light comes on, it indicates a code is
set and is saved in the computer memory. If the light goes out that
indicates the problem no longer exists but the code is still stored.

The easiest way to clear the code is to disconnect the negative battery
cable for a couple of seconds and reconnect it. You will loose the radio
presets and the HVAC will recalibrate the blend door which takes
less than 60 seconds when you turn the ignition on.

Here's a thread that expains what could be wrong.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...river-4-a.html
Old 08-22-2013, 03:01 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Clear codes. See if the error comes back. It might have been an intermittent problem caused by vibration.

If it does come back you can disconnect the various circuits controlled by the quad driver one by one. Clear codes between each test and see if the error comes back.

Usually a quad driver error code is caused by a short in one of its output circuits.

Get notified of new replies

To Ghost Code 26...

Quick Reply: Ghost Code 26...