C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Intermittent Information Control Center Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 03:23 PM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Intermittent Information Control Center Problem

I’ve got a problem that comes and goes. It hasn’t really bothered me because I had bigger fish to fry with my 85. Now that the interior is pretty much done, it’s starting to annoy me. I wonder if anyone else here has had this problem. The illumination of the right side of my information control center sometimes cuts out when driving leaving it dark (obviously, this is when the lights are on). I changed the bulbs in it so I know those are good. The funny thing is when that side goes out, the Fasten Seat Belt light will illuminate for no reason, even when driving and the seat belt on. Then I also get the ghostly Fasten Seat Belt light that will barely come on but not go out either. I cleaned the contacts in the seat belt wiring when I did the carpets, but this still happens.

So, do I need a new control center or is there a fix?
Old 10-03-2013, 01:08 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Most of those bulbs are independent so they shouldn't affect each other. That said, I think many share a common fuse. I don't know if grounds would cause these problems.

You really need to look at a wiring diagram, such as the one you'll find in the FSM (Factory Service Manual) -- you DO have one, right?
Old 10-03-2013, 10:23 AM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
Most of those bulbs are independent so they shouldn't affect each other. That said, I think many share a common fuse. I don't know if grounds would cause these problems.

You really need to look at a wiring diagram, such as the one you'll find in the FSM (Factory Service Manual) -- you DO have one, right?
I do have an FSM and it hasn't really helped. From what I can figure out from the diagrams, something in the circuit board may be crossed allowing the warning light to illuminate. I have no problem replacing the whole unit, I can get used ones fairly easily. However, I was curious to see if this was a common problem or if anyone else experienced it.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:35 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ive never seen the RH side of my DIC. Whats over there? In fact the only light I have seen is my 4+3 OD light.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:16 PM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HlhnEast
Ive never seen the RH side of my DIC. Whats over there? In fact the only light I have seen is my 4+3 OD light.
Sorry...I was pretty vague in my description come to think of it. Here is an image of the section that does not illuminate at light with the lights on:

[IMG][/IMG]

I changed the bulb and I know its good because sometimes it lights and sometimes it doesn't, as I stated above.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:48 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Oopsie. My mistake. I thought you were talking about all the status bulb in the DIC.

I would suspect a bad socket for the backlighting bulb. I've never taken the switch panel apart so I don't know what it looks like inside. I would guess that there is a PC board with the various switches and lights mounted on it.

Get notified of new replies

To Intermittent Information Control Center Problem

Quick Reply: Intermittent Information Control Center Problem