C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Will not start

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 01:09 PM
Decat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will not start

I purchased a '94 C4 two weeks ago. The steering column was badly damaged during an attempted theft while the previous owner had the Vette. He was using a screw driver to manually start the car by moving some metal thing towards the driver on the left side of the steering column.

I bought a steering column from a '92 C4 and installed it. All wiring harnesses matched up perfectly, everything is hooked back up, battery is charged. When you turn the key everything seems fine, but it will not try to turn the engine over. When you turn the key the clock display dims but nothing else happens. Any ideas where to start? I am lost on this one. Why would the old busted up column work with a screwdriver and the new one will not work with the key and everything correctly hooked up? Any help much appreciated.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:23 PM
MrWillys
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Your CCM is searching for the correct resistance value at the key, and is not finding it. measure the value of the old key, and have a new one cut with the same value. The dealer should be able to tell you which one based on the VIN, but may not be interested in helping you for such a small item. Doing it yourself assures you you've got it right.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Decat
Advanced

Really appreciate it! I am at a locksmith now who says he can do it. We will see.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:22 PM
Decat
Advanced

A big thank you to MrWillys, it was indeed the VATS.

I had the old key read and then a new key with that resistance blank cut to fit the new steering column and it started up first try! Thanks :-)

I still can hardly believe that the locksmith still had blanks for each type of resistance. Haha. Very glad it worked out thanks for the help.

Last edited by Decat; 10-24-2013 at 11:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Will not start

Quick Reply: Will not start