C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Magnaflow resonator or no Resonator.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 05:15 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Magnaflow resonator or no Resonator.

Ok so I have a full 3 inch stainless magnaflow exhaust attached to American Racing 1 7/8 step headers with no cats in my 1992.The car has a fully built, procharged 383 with a mild cam and Afr 210 heads. Honestly the dang thing is way to quiet for my liking. It Just doesnt have that "im a bad *** 550 hp C4 Corvette sound" that i initially wanted. I have the original X pipe that came with my headers and I am seriously thinking about cutting that magnaflow resonator off and sticking the AHR x pipe on. The thing is, I see alot of posts about DRONE inside other C4 owners cars. I dont mind a little drone but there is a limit. I would like some of your guys opinions. Do I chop the resonator off and use the X pipe and go for the sound I really think a built C4 should have or do I keep it quiet, tame, and listen to the blower whine instead of the Exhaust..
Old 10-26-2013, 12:36 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

If you have rear mufflers, try taking those out. I currently run the magnaflow resonator, no cats, and no mufflers. I am running the stock manifolds however until I can get my hands on a decent set of long tubes for less than lottery money.

My car is pretty loud, I really, really like it at WOT. The engine is pretty much stock aside from the hotcam. Cool thing is, that I have absolutely no drone and no resonance. I simply hear the engine.

I had someone do a couple of passes in it for me, as I'd never really heard it from outside the car. To me it sounded much like " I'm a bad *** 550 hp Vette" unfortunately, it isn't...yet.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow resonator or no Resonator.