C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Weird Mirror toggle issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 02:20 PM
ccollet
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Mirror toggle issue

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this, i was going to get a new toggle switch, but then figured that it can't possibly be the switch.

the toggle switch will control up and down on the passenger mirror, but the horizontal does nothing.
when i switch to the drivers side mirror the toggle works the driver mirror horizontally, but does nothing up and down.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:45 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ccollet
I was wondering if anyone else has seen this, i was going to get a new toggle switch, but then figured that it can't possibly be the switch.

the toggle switch will control up and down on the passenger mirror, but the horizontal does nothing.
when i switch to the drivers side mirror the toggle works the driver mirror horizontally, but does nothing up and down.
well........

its worth trying a couple things before pulling the wallet out..

I would simply jiggle the glass on both mirrors and see if the motors may be stuck. These are really very simple in operation. There is a flat drive motor "pak" that has 2 threaded screw ports...an X axis and there is a Y axis.
The glass has 2 threaded studs at 12;00 and 3;00 (approx) that fit into the motor drive pak holes. When you want to tilt up the hole that's at 12:00 will run forward or rev to pull in or out the stud that's being engaged in that screw hole port. This tilts the glass up or down as desired. Works the same for the L/R axis. The joy stick CAN engage X & Y axis together. So up & rt is possible together.

These motors are sealed pretty good BUT the threads on the studs can collect some dirt and crud over the years and cause the motor screw drive to bind and not operate. Often a gentle bump will dislodge the dirt on the threads and allow it to turn again. If you can get someone to use the button as you try to wiggle the glass, that may help too. These studs and screw drives are NYLON...so you can force it to slip thru and manually set the mirror. I wouldn't do that too many times because it will eventually strip out the threads...

If that has no effect then you have to go in the console to get to the switch and the harness....I doubt the problem is there since you have already proven the switch itself is functional. More likely an actuator problem, not a control issue.

Good luck !
Old 12-09-2013, 04:08 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

Mine go up, left and right. No down. I think its the switch but dont care enough to make a project of it.

Get notified of new replies

To Weird Mirror toggle issue

Quick Reply: Weird Mirror toggle issue