C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need a New Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 04:06 PM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

Default Need a New Exhaust

So this morning, my cat decided to break and send pieces into my muffler, which is rusted on the inside, which then in turn killed the muffler and making really annoying rattling sounds.

So, my question is what is the best exhaust for a cheapish price.

I have the stock manifold and I am looking to go with a true dual exhaust with no catalytic converter and no mufflers. I live in Florida and they do not require emissions testing so that is not a worry at all.

I have not done much looking, but from the little I looked at, I found these which are in my price range.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....~~~~~~0000050Q

or these

I am wanting as I said true dual exhaust with no cats or mufflers, but I do want either the LT tips or either some good looking dual tips like pictured in the second link above.

Thanks, Stephen

EDITL Car is a 1989 with a custom exhaust. It ges from the cat straight to ONE muffler to custom bent pipes that goes to the back of the car with dual tips. Anyone have an idea what it would cost to make a y-pipe to just replace the muffler temporarily?

Last edited by Red89'-L98; 01-18-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:07 PM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

Anyone have any advice? Like maybe ven just getting rid of the muffler and putting in a pipe in place.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:41 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Exhaust

Sorry, I can't help you out because I don't know enough yet. But I would suggest giving more details on your car, may make a difference.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:00 PM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

Originally Posted by hcbph
Sorry, I can't help you out because I don't know enough yet. But I would suggest giving more details on your car, may make a difference.
My stupidity, I hardly ever forget to put the cars information but it just slipped my mind due to a headache caused by a rattling muffler.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:21 PM
Bob Heine
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Red89'-L98
So this morning, my cat decided to break and send pieces into my muffler, which is rusted on the inside, which then in turn killed the muffler and making really annoying rattling sounds.

So, my question is what is the best exhaust for a cheapish price.

I have the stock manifold and I am looking to go with a true dual exhaust with no catalytic converter and no mufflers. I live in Florida and they do not require emissions testing so that is not a worry at all.

I have not done much looking, but from the little I looked at, I found these which are in my price range.

or these

I am wanting as I said true dual exhaust with no cats or mufflers, but I do want either the LT tips or either some good looking dual tips like pictured in the second link above.

Thanks, Stephen

EDITL Car is a 1989 with a custom exhaust. It ges from the cat straight to ONE muffler to custom bent pipes that goes to the back of the car with dual tips. Anyone have an idea what it would cost to make a y-pipe to just replace the muffler temporarily?
Red89'-L98,
I also live in Florida and understand we no longer have emission testing but what you plan to do is install straight pipes and at least in my part of Florida the police will still issue you a noise violation if you have no mufflers. If you want straight pipes, why not just run a pipe from the manifold to behind the front wheel. It would be just as loud and much cheaper than running all those 2-1/4 pipes to the rear of the car.

If your existing system eliminates the two rear mufflers, your only exhaust noise reduction is through the pre- and main catalytic converters. I expect that does a decent job but when you remove those you've got an illegally loud system.

It would help if you had a picture of the existing system in your car. I scanned this illustration from the 1987 Corvette Service Manual and added some descriptions. It might be slightly different for your '89 but not by much.

When you say: "It goes from the cat straight to ONE muffler..." do you mean it goes from the Pre-Catalytic Converter to the Catalytic Converter or has the Catalytic Converter been replaced with a muffler. If your catalytic converter has started to come apart, you may have something like this stuck in its outlet (that's the catalyst honeycomb jammed in the opening):

Here's a picture of a 3-inch high-flow cat (not a muffler) connected to a stainless long-tube header system:
Old 01-19-2014, 09:42 AM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

Originally Posted by Bob Heine
Red89'-L98,
I also live in Florida and understand we no longer have emission testing but what you plan to do is install straight pipes and at least in my part of Florida the police will still issue you a noise violation if you have no mufflers. If you want straight pipes, why not just run a pipe from the manifold to behind the front wheel. It would be just as loud and much cheaper than running all those 2-1/4 pipes to the rear of the car.

If your existing system eliminates the two rear mufflers, your only exhaust noise reduction is through the pre- and main catalytic converters. I expect that does a decent job but when you remove those you've got an illegally loud system.

It would help if you had a picture of the existing system in your car. I scanned this illustration from the 1987 Corvette Service Manual and added some descriptions. It might be slightly different for your '89 but not by much.

When you say: "It goes from the cat straight to ONE muffler..." do you mean it goes from the Pre-Catalytic Converter to the Catalytic Converter or has the Catalytic Converter been replaced with a muffler. If your catalytic converter has started to come apart, you may have something like this stuck in its outlet (that's the catalyst honeycomb jammed in the opening):

Here's a picture of a 3-inch high-flow cat (not a muffler) connected to a stainless long-tube header system:
I do not have picture but I can explain the best I can.

It goes from the exhaust manifolds to a y-pipe with the pre-cats deleted, then it goes to the main catalytic converter where it is in it's original spot, directly welded to a muffler and then the muffler that has outlets which is then y-piped to dual tips at the end.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:50 AM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Here's another dual exhaust option. It's a little more expensive, but probably a better quality product.

http://pypesexhaust.com/i-12200821-8...em-scc40r.html
Old 01-19-2014, 10:26 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...=main&id=11438

Now, I have the LT1 set up. But if you're looking for a true dual set up, then LT1 set ups are what you're looking for as they will fit.

I would recommend something like this to help to tone the exhaust note. Pure straight pipes on a street car can sometimes create more problems then they solve.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:43 AM
Bob Heine
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Red89'-L98
Anyone have any advice? Like maybe ven just getting rid of the muffler and putting in a pipe in place.
You could just buy a length of 3" exhaust pipe and replace the main catalytic converter and muffler. Summit sells a 4-foot long 3-inch diameter aluminized steel pipe for about $17.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...30-1/overview/

That should be long enough to replace both the cat and the muffler but I have no idea what the connection to your existing tailpipes looks like.

If you are looking to increase flow, your existing system starts with 2.25" pipes that connect to a 3" cat. The cross-section of the 2.25" pipes is about 4 square inches for a total of 8 square inches for the pair. The 3" pipe has a cross section of about 7 square inches so area is reduced by about 12.5%. I don't know how that translates into flow numbers but it doesn't seem huge.

The two systems you link to at Corvette Central are 2.25" systems from front to back so you gain that 12.5% area for $417-450 depending on tips.

The Pypes system is a 2.5" system but appears to be missing the actual connection to the stock exhaust manifold . It looks like it's meant for a long tube header system. Anyway, the 2.5" pipes have a cross-section of 4.9 square inches for a total area of 9.8 square inches for the system. The 2 square inch larger size is going to cost you roughly $200 extra. Of course you would still need to buy some straight pipes to replace the mufflers.

I don't know your skill level but if you have to pay someone to install this stuff, you could be bumping up on a thousand dollars for your system.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:53 PM
cadmaniac
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I have an exhaust including Hedmen headers. and complete LT1 exhaust system. It is stock, and all is in good shape. I had it on an 85 coupe I had but have taken apart because I needed the engine out of it. I'm near Fort Myers, Florida.

Let me know it you might be interested in it, I'll make you a good deal on it.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:31 PM
DarkKnite2002
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do u have anything done to the motor? if not then keep with a muffler for a little bit of back pressure. or go with a glass pack in place of the muffler and cat. if you have a stock setup you can cause it to have too little back-pressure and can loose power by having to much flow. if you have mods done then it might not mess with it to much by negating the back pressure. i have actually tested this concept with a sbc in a formula firebird. while opening the exhaust up is better then stock having no back pressure will not give you max power outtage
Old 01-19-2014, 06:57 PM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

Originally Posted by DarkKnite2002
do u have anything done to the motor? if not then keep with a muffler for a little bit of back pressure. or go with a glass pack in place of the muffler and cat. if you have a stock setup you can cause it to have too little back-pressure and can loose power by having to much flow. if you have mods done then it might not mess with it to much by negating the back pressure. i have actually tested this concept with a sbc in a formula firebird. while opening the exhaust up is better then stock having no back pressure will not give you max power outtage
I have also heard the not enough back pressure myth, but from the test I have seen, all it is, is a myth. Even a bunch of people on here say it is a myth at least for the c4 corvette anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To Need a New Exhaust

Quick Reply: Need a New Exhaust