C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hoo boy, now I REALLY need a new starter.... it won't disengage!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2002, 10:26 AM
Thud
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hoo boy, now I REALLY need a new starter.... it won't disengage!!

The "hammer to the solenoid" method worked for a little while, and bought me some time to fix my "no start" condition.

So this morning I start it up to wash it, and the thing won't disengage. The engine idles with the high-pitched WHIIIIRRRRRRR of the starter motor.

But get this, even if I shut it off and take the key out, the engine continues to crank! It's possessed! After about a minute of that, trying to get the starter to shut off, I wound up having to disconnect the battery while the engine idled, and then pull the key out. It continued to crank but then died after a couple seconds (an interesting experiment in the alternator-starter current loop).

So now I'm afraid that when I connect the battery back up, it's just gonna start cranking again. The engine won't fire with the ignition off of course, but what I'm thinking is that I order the new starter, and then drive it hopefully to Bigtoe's garage lift, even with the starter motor engaged... doesn't matter if that kills the starter since it would get replaced once I'm there anyway. Would there be any other problems, besides killing the starter, that would come with driving it like this?
Old 07-20-2002, 10:31 AM
vette92_1
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Hoo boy, now I REALLY need a new starter.... it won't disengage!! (Thud)

I don't know for sure if I would want to drive it like that, it might damage your fly wheel.
Old 07-20-2002, 01:21 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Hoo boy, now I REALLY need a new starter.... it won't disengage!! (vette92_1)

I wouldn't drive it with the starter engaged. Just replace it your self :yesnod:
Old 07-23-2002, 02:23 PM
ConeKLR
Safety Car

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Hoo boy, now I REALLY need a new starter.... it won't disengage!! (vette92_1)

Been there done that twice already. On my old 91 and now my 96. If you let the starter spin it will get red hot and fry. Possibly taking out your batt cable or anything else near. Trust me, on my 91 I thought I was going to see the engine bay go up in flames. It was that bad. I you don't want to replaced the starter your self which is real easy to do.
Try this:
Rap on the starter with a hammer. Then connect the battery up again. If it spins try rapping it again. If you get it to stop spinning you can push start the car if you have a manual and drive it straight to the shop. My 96 stayed spinning one time only but took 10 tries to get it to spin at all after that. It's the armature arm getting stuck. You can buy the parts to fix the starter. It's around $20 bucks. There is anotehr thread that list the part number needed.
I replaced mine for $185 plus $11 bucks shipping from The Last Detail. That's a brand new OEM starter not a rebuilt unit. No core charge.
I wrapped my new starter with a heat shield blanket.
Old 07-23-2002, 03:17 PM
emoshn
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Hoo boy, now I REALLY need a new starter.... it won't disengage!! (ConeKLR)

Same exact thing happened on my 92 recently. I took a chance, it fryed the starter and I too thought I was gonna have an engine fire...PLUS once it fried the starter, it grounded out the hot lead from the battery and before I realized what was going on, my battery was smoking also. So, had it towed to the dealer, new starter and battery. Fortunately nothing else was damaged.

I wondered at the time if the starter seized, would it take out teeth on the flywheel...or worst case, break out part of the block casting. But then I'm a real worry wart!! And, of course, I thought for sure I would have damaged some other wiring down there!
Old 07-23-2002, 03:18 PM
Fla96LT4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Hoo boy, now I REALLY need a new starter.... it won't disengage!! (Thud)

I had that same problem a couple of months ago. Only way I could stop the starter was disconnect the battery. Wierd!
It was a solenoid problem.......it broke apart and stuck in the closed position. Bought a new starter/ solenoid from Delco and fixed problem. Not a bad job, but I have a 4+3 and trans lines were in the way. Also, be careful of sensor near the starter.
Old 07-23-2002, 04:48 PM
Thud
Team Owner

Default Re: Hoo boy, now I REALLY need a new starter.... it won't disengage!! (Fla87)

It looks like an easy job, problem is driving it to the nearest lift!

A month ago, I tried to get it off with the car on jackstands... just wasn't gonna happen. I just couldn't break the bolts loose, especially with the limited room to work with.

Fortunately, I didn't see or smell any smoke when I went through this, probably because I didn't let the starter crank by itself for too long... instead, I put the ignition back in the "Run" position, so the engine fired up and it was idling while I unhooked the battery.

Hopefully the hammer-whacking will get it unstuck (it worked before, when it was stuck in the unengaged position) and I can just roll backwards outta my garage to clutch-start it.
Old 07-27-2002, 03:01 PM
Thud
Team Owner

Problem solved, put the new starter on today ($185 from the Last Detail) at Bigtoe's house.

It took some creative hammer work to get the old one to crank properly before driving it over there. It looks a little beat up now. :)
Old 07-27-2002, 05:00 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 377 Likes on 322 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Hammer mechanic on a fiberglass car :crazy: Sounds like you are living up to your screenname :jester Congrats on getting it fixed every neighborhood should have a lift. :cheers:
Old 07-27-2002, 07:00 PM
redcorvettedave
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Hoo boy, now I REALLY need a new starter.... it won't disengage!! (93Polo)

caution check corrosion on and in battery hot cable! This could cause shorter life for that new motor and lead to bigger expense in the near future. same thing happen to me and was told to inspect connection on cable was surprised to find out that the cable was completely corroded !!!
Old 07-27-2002, 07:02 PM
redcorvettedave
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Hoo boy, now I REALLY need a new starter.... it won't disengage!! (redcorvettedave)

correction not the motor the new starter you just put in.

Get notified of new replies

To Hoo boy, now I REALLY need a new starter.... it won't disengage!!

Quick Reply: Hoo boy, now I REALLY need a new starter.... it won't disengage!!