C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 instrument panel

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 03:04 PM
Randypoynor
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 instrument panel

Just traded for a 85 and I am a first time owner of a vette and one of a few problems with the car is that the gauges are working but are very dim and can see them with shades on in the day but nothing at night ?? Any suggestions ??
Old 06-14-2014, 03:22 PM
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 322 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Are any of the cluster bulbs illuminating or is the whole panel in the dark at night? This will be obvious by lighter and darker areas across the gauge panel. (Even if all the lamps are out you will be able to read your gauges in sunlight...night tells all)
Old 06-14-2014, 04:00 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Randypoynor
Just traded for a 85 and I am a first time owner of a vette and one of a few problems with the car is that the gauges are working but are very dim and can see them with shades on in the day but nothing at night ?? Any suggestions ??
Sounds like your cluster is in need of a rebuild. It's a common problem.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:21 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

At night, turn your headlight ****. It adjusts the brightness. If the dash does not get bright, it's possible that the backlight bulbs are bad. The headlight **** also adjusts the brightness of the radio and HVAC controller lighting (at night only).

There are 4 bulbs that back light the dash. You need to take off the cluster bezel to see this:

The bulbs are located behind the round silver reflectors. You can see the light leaking out around the little thingies that hold the reflectors in the dash.

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 06-15-2014 at 03:26 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:12 AM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

I copied these symptoms from the batee.com website. Batee has posted a lot of information about cluster problems and how to repair. He recently started a repair service.

Dark or Intermittently Working Cluster?

This is the most common repair required for the 1984 - 1989 Corvette Digital Cluster. Over time, the connector becomes oxidized and sometimes broken, and the solder joints can become cold.

Signs your cluster may need this repair

•The four bulbs which illuminate the cluster remain dark, even with the ignition on.
•When the ignition is on, the cluster remains dark and the info can't be seen
•The cluster is dark with the headlights off, but works with the headlights on.
•Sometimes, hitting the dash or hitting a bump causes the cluster to start working properly.
•Shining a flashlight on the cluster causes the information to appear.
•The cluster LCD panels are dark, but the turn signal and high beam indicators are on constantly.
•The backlight bulbs are bright at power-on, but are too dim after that.
•The backlight bulbs don't dim when they should.
•The cruise control won't set.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:26 PM
agillings
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

LCD repaired! Sent mine to Batee and cost me $60.00 to repair. Well worth the money to have an expert do the repair! I highly recommend Batee
Old 03-04-2017, 05:51 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Randypoynor
Being able to see the display with sunglasses on, is usually caused by the polarizing damaged by sunlight.
Have a look at the link below, Batee has a lot of do it yourself parts at a reasonable price.

Have a look at Batee's website, there are many descriptions of common issues.

http://www.batee.com/corvette/dcrg/film/

http://www.batee.com/corvette/dcrg/services/lcdkit.html

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 instrument panel

Quick Reply: 1985 instrument panel